IGNORED

Brendan Galloway

Not true at all. Doesn't have the crossing class or set piece ability of Bainsey, at least from what we've seen, but he's spent major portions of matches, even against Swansea from what I remember, linking up play while camped out in the opposing half. I think he's got quite a bit to offer on the attack.

Agree with Romey I don't think he offers much going forward he's no slouch but doesn't have the pace or technical ability to cause teams much problems bombing forward he often stalls and has to opt for a pass when advanced

That's no stain on his ability though the lads a class act who's being played out of position, be will definitely be a major part of our future at CB but he's no wingback but have to give him massive plaudits for filling in and doing so well

Really disagree with your comment regarding Garbutt the lad has every quality you need in a LB he's not a million miles behind Baines ability wise and if he comes back from his injury at a similar level he'll go on to become a better player..... not many have the ability or chance to do that

Edited by EFC-Paul

Fair enough. Agree to disagree I guess. Not expecting anything initially, I've been very impressed with his willingness and ability to get forward. I know CB is his preferred position, but he's starting to make Garbutt look expendable at LB.

At the risk of making you use your barman skills and pass word on to any barmen that serve me to spit in my drinks, I'm going to disagree with you again :P. I don't think the emergence of Galloway makes Garbutt look expendable at all. For the simple reason that Garbutt offers what we want in a full-back and Galloway doesn't. Galloway is an extra option to have but he should be the third choice because he mostly only offers a good defensive skill set, whereas we want and need our LB to predominantly attack.

Edited by Romey 1878

At the risk of making you use your barman skills and pass word on to any barmen that serve me to spit in my drinks, I'm going to disagree with you again :P. I don't think the emergence of Galloway makes Garbutt look expendable at all. For the simple reason that Garbutt offers what we want in a full-back and Galloway doesn't. Galloway is an extra option to have but he should be the third choice because he mostly only offers a good defensive skill set, whereas we want and need our LB to predominantly attack.

agreed and galloway is a cb. so is browning. that is the position they should be playing (eventually). so this galloway LB stuff is non sense.

only 2 games in for Mori, so I get the concerns. But I want to start building that partnership now dammit! :shaking fist:

Martinez already said that Galloway would have 40 (?) games at left back before he'd start looking at getting him in cb. Regardless, I'm sure Galloway is well ahead of any schedule. It's working currently and long may that continue.

I don't remember Baines being brilliant attacking or defending in his first 10 appearances and he had played a couple of seasons before we signed him. BG is a kid who is showing massive potential. For sure he's not an attacking FB but he shouldn't be judged on that.

I don't think anybody is judging him on being played put of position it's just to me anyway obvious he doesn't have all the tools to play there permanently

His defensive ability isn't in question he'll make some CB, along with Stones I'd and the likes of Browning who's also impressed me Coleman and Garbutt pending his injury we've got some back four if we can keep them together

I don't think anybody is judging him on being played put of position it's just to me anyway obvious he doesn't have all the tools to play there permanently

His defensive ability isn't in question he'll make some CB, along with Stones I'd and the likes of Browning who's also impressed me Coleman and Garbutt pending his injury we've got some back four if we can keep them together

true. Maybe judging was the wrong word.

Don't recall Adams, Rio, Terry or Campbell playing a full season as a full back before they played centre back.

Don't recall many attacking full backs 15-20 years ago either.

The game has changed, 442 has been abandoned for variations of 4231. The formations are much more fluid, so there needs to be understanding of what your team mate has to do in his role, not just know his role.

The game has changed, 442 has been abandoned for variations of 4231. The formations are much more fluid, so there needs to be understanding of what your team mate has to do in his role, not just know his role.

Carlos Cafu Lizarasu Cole all players from that era, but i take your point.

Perhaps though if we had a really solid back line we would not need two holding type players and could be more aggressive?

First attacking full-back I ever saw was more than forty years ago; Gary Peters at Guildford City (my dad despised the concept) who went on to have a decent lower league career and then take on a young David Moyes as his assistant when he was manager at Preston.

But I also take your point. Peters used to do it and nobody covered him (in fact I think his team mates hated him more than my dad did :P) so it was a bit of a disaster :lol:.

Carlos Cafu Lizarasu Cole all players from that era, but i take your point.

Perhaps though if we had a really solid back line we would not need two holding type players and could be more aggressive?

True, but they were ahead of their time, pioneers, and only Cole for the EPL. Certainly wasn't common like it is now.

As for a solid back line and 1 holding, the formations going forward get more along the line of 352, because the FBs end up so far up the pitch :)

to learn what is expected for the psosition he's going to have to cover as an LCB. Makes perfect sense to me

matt not trying to be argumentative (but i will be :rofl: ). to be a winger you don't need to play fullback to learn what to attack. to be DCM you don't have to play ACM to learn how to defend against that. you don't play striker to learn how to be a goalkeeper. the logic of this doesn't make sense.

i think it's more of we have a need, it's filled. square peg round hole but he's getting first team time which is beneficial for him. same with browning. i don't know why he isn't loaned to a championship or league 1 side and told to play CB, that's what he will play why not start now?

matt not trying to be argumentative (but i will be :rofl: ). to be a winger you don't need to play fullback to learn what to attack. to be DCM you don't have to play ACM to learn how to defend against that. you don't play striker to learn how to be a goalkeeper. the logic of this doesn't make sense.

i think it's more of we have a need, it's filled. square peg round hole but he's getting first team time which is beneficial for him. same with browning. i don't know why he isn't loaned to a championship or league 1 side and told to play CB, that's what he will play why not start now?

Worked well for Bale ;)

For me, you need to know what your immediate team mates do, in my opinion. Maybe "need" is too absolute, but for me there is a massive advantage to know what other positions do, so you can anticipate what they might do and be potentially proactive rather than reactive.

All I'm saying is I understand why Roberto might want BG to play that much time at LB. I can see the advantages.

In the 1950's/60's (when I played) formations were 2, 3, 5. The two wingers, usually lazy sods, never helped out in defence and usually spectated from around the centre-line. This meant that the two full-backs had to stay marking them. The same with the centre-forward and centre-half. When the ball was pinging around the penalty area there were always six interested spectators on the halfway-line, which is maybe why I always preferred playing centre-forward to centre-half. :D

Don't recall Adams, Rio, Terry or Campbell playing a full season as a full back before they played centre back.

Seems Campbell did actually...

'New boss Osvaldo Ardiles played him at left-back at the start of the 199394 season in place of the injured Justin Edinburgh, before he was switched to right-back in place of Dean Austin.At the end of the season he signed a four-year contract with the club.'

Seems Campbell did actually...

'New boss Osvaldo Ardiles played him at left-back at the start of the 199394 season in place of the injured Justin Edinburgh, before he was switched to right-back in place of Dean Austin.At the end of the season he signed a four-year contract with the club.'

Sounds as though spurs were injury hit.... Nothing to do with Campbell plying his trade there to learn. Wasted post.

so Garbutt and Baines are just in holiday?

Still don't see how Campbell filling in at left back for half a game relates to him being played there to "learn a position he'll have to cover". Pretty sure he played there because they were short.

There's been plenty of centre backs who've played at fullback but more down to injuries than actually learning how to play there. I just don't see how that position can improve a centre half. Completely different

Still don't see how Campbell filling in at left back for half a game relates to him being played there to "learn a position he'll have to cover". Pretty sure he played there because they were short.

There's been plenty of centre backs who've played at fullback but more down to injuries than actually learning how to play there. I just don't see how that position can improve a centre half. Completely different

fair point

Spot on, neither can I. But to bring it home Galloway looks a real talent and a great signing, well done Roberto. Now we just need young Tyias to go on loan and really see what he's mad of.

Sounds as though spurs were injury hit.... Nothing to do with Campbell plying his trade there to learn. Wasted post.

Oh shit, I must be more responsible over my daily post quota. As said, Galloway's covering injuries as we're injury hit at left back. Stones played rb for Barnsley to get game time, he was always going to be a centre back. Loads of youngsters play out of position in 'less vital' roles to get early game time to aid their development - FACT!