IGNORED

Muhamed Besic

Louis

Agree. Think he's one of the 'new wave' positions, where you're technically capable of controlling play from a defensive position. Like Alonso, Pirlo etc. Obviously nowhere near that level but he's still learning.

Someone who has primary defensive duties but can carry/spread the ball when needed.

Honestly. Love everything about him. So far.

Edited by tenaciousj

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought he was absolutely class against West Ham without seeing the stats (hence him getting my MOTM vote), so it's nice too see him get some recognition. His energy was invaluable, he was everywhere for us and helped Coleman out defensively all night. He Barry's legs for the game too; while Barry was being walked past because he has the turning circle of a cruiseliner Mo was in at them, getting a foot in and bringing the ball away. I still can't believe he was subbed to be honest.

Like the article says, though, his decision making needs to improve - I can remember two occasions he won the ball back in our own half and instead of laying the ball off he chose the harder option to try and run himself out of trouble, and lost the ball. But, I firmly believe that's more to do with him being desperate to impress due to limited opportunities to play. But there's no doubt we've got a very good player on our hands, him looking better with each game he plays is testament to that.

That being said, I'm mentally preparing myself to see him among the substitutes on Saturday so I don't absolutely lose my shit!

What I really like about him is that he's not a one dimensional player. He isn't a player that just defends. He is instrumental in our attacks to. Wants to make runs. Wants to switch play. Wants people to run off him, so he can play the long ball. He is primaril, a defensive player (his stats show that) but on top of that, they also show him to be an excellent play maker.

As Matt says, I can NOT wait until Besic and McCarthy get a few games together. Really really can't.

I actually think Martinez is wrong here. If Besic can mark Silva out of the game he should. The other nine depend a lot on Silva so to take him out would hurt them.

But who knows. RM might say one thing in the press and another in the changing room ;)

Edited by Peter H

Assuming RM is here long-term [not guaranteed, I realize], and assuming he continues playing 2 DMs, I could see a Besic-McCarthy partnership as our standard set-up. Besic seems the more likely of the two to be the occasional goal-scoring threat going forward. He possesses very clever dribbling skills, pivots brilliantly while controlling the ball, gets past defenders and into the final third.

Don't know whether he can develop an accurate shot from outside the box. Hope so, as more promise there than with McCarthy, I think.

Baines moving centrally seems also in RM's plans, but maybe a rotation of partnerships among these 3, depending on needs and opponent??

Anyhow, Besic is looking like a brilliant addition. His confidence in keeping the ball in tight situations is suddenly quite impressive.

I think we have got a gem in Besic. Young, talented midfielder who is good with the ball at his feet and can pick out a pass spot-on. Can't wait to see him and McCarthy playing alongside each other. Both are box-to-box young lads with immense potential. Love Gareth Barry, but he has womanly hips and is unable to move side-to-side with any pace (hence his 9 yellow cards on the season).

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/muhamed-besic-says-everton-fc-8489659

Again, what I like about this is how aware he is of what he needs to work on and his willingness to do it.

He is very raw - but acknowledging "he isn't the complete midfielder" is very encouraging. It can be very disheartening to hear a player refer to themselves as complete when they are in their early 20's, because only on very rare occassions is that the case.

Mccarthy and Besic can be the best midfield partnership we have seen since Reid and Bracewell. High energy levels, tenacity, leadership.

• 2 weeks later...