IGNORED

Cycling

"Early reports indicate that the traces of steroids within Contador's system are 400mg too little to improve his performance" ..

I'm not too sure what to make of it yet.

Romey : Cycling is one of my favorite sports and it will continue to be so. The reason they've found so many cheaters is because it's a physically very demanding sport AND in no other sport the testing is as thorough.

Besides it happens in a lot of sports. The last fifteen years in Baseball are known as the "steroid era" because they finally started testing and it turned out almost all the top players were juicing... Italian football is known for PED's... I can only imagine what would be found if American football or NBA basketball players would be tested as much as cyclists...

You could actually argue that because of the extensive testing, cycling might be the purest mainstream sport.

I don't see that much difference, if someone dives to win a penalty and it turns out to be a game winning one then they're going outside the rules to gain an unfair advantage. That's arguably a more blatent piece of cheating than someone trying to artificially boost their endurance/strength.

The ref is there to stop all that though, if they fail to punish it then that's their fuck up. Whereas in cycling they win events and take all the plaudits and adulation and then it's shown later that they only got the victory because they boosted their performance. At least if a footballer dives to win a penalty or whatever then it's visible to the fans, it's not hidden.

Edited by Romey 1878

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

delusional smile.gif

you can't built a winning team in 5 years ... if there was some british talent out there that would be capable of winning the tour de france, i'm quite sure i would have heard about that guy ...

so the only way i can see "Team Sky" winning the Tour, is if they buy foreign talent ... that would take so much money that his return on investment will be non-existant in a market that doesn't care about cycling such as the UK ... besides for the brits there's not much fun in seeing a foreigner win even if he's racing for your team .. cycling is still to a large degree an individual sport, where teams come and go.

His plan just shows that he doesn't know much about cycling and how other teams and countries are trying to train Tour de France winners.

however if he just wants to raise intrest in britain, maybe launching a dumb idea is a brilliant strategy smile.gif.

Be interested to know if you still think this Holy. Big win today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ycling/17332892

Certainly your point about buying in foreign talent was right....but Wiggins must be in the top five or six in the betting for the Tour this year I'd have thought.

Just checked the odds with William Hill and he's 9/2 third favourite behind Evans & Schleck,,,,also Chris Froome is sixth at 20/1.

Paris Nice is a big win for Wiggins but it's not comparable to the tour de france. It's generally won by expert time trialists who can manage in the mountains. Whereas in the TdF the focus is more on the climbing.

But more to the point, I don't see how "Team Sky" has a lot to do with the personal achievements of Wiggins. Can it be said that without Team Sky he wouldn't have become an elite cyclist in some other team? Is there an influx of British talent in the peloton? I don't see it.

• 2 months later...

Paris Nice is a big win for Wiggins but it's not comparable to the tour de france. It's generally won by expert time trialists who can manage in the mountains. Whereas in the TdF the focus is more on the climbing.

Wiggins now pretty much joint favourite with Cadel Evans to win the TDF this year...some bookies favouring one, some the other....

http://www.oddscheck...e-france/winner

As the stated intention was to find a "British winner by 2014" I think Sky have done incredibly well...possibly two years ahead of the game.

Wiggins, Cavendish, Swift, Evans, Froome, Hunt & Stannard major players within the team so a pretty decent influx of British talent I'd say; certainly hugely more than we've ever had in the past.

Looking forward to it myselfsmile.png .

Impressive win today by Wiggins in the Dauphiné. Could be his year.

I'd agree with the fact that Team Sky has signed the most Brits (sic), but I don't see the link with the "success" of Wiggins. He started cycling well before Team Sky and actually started his career with French Teams.

Wasn't the point of Team Sky to find new British talent? People we hadn't heard about... I'm too lazy to look it up, but I don't think there are even more British riders in the peloton now than before Team Sky.

Anyway, I'm all for a British Team etc etc. But still think it's preposterous that some guy thinks he can start a team and have a TdF winner out of nowhere within 5 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone who climbs on a bike and then throws himself down a mountain deserves everything he gets IMO

Seeing a bit of cycling for real is amazing as you just don't realise how fast these guys actually travel. But to be fair I am not watching it, just the stage results as they appear on the news. I know full well that cycling is not something I could do these days, although I would like to be capable of it. (Not the bit about coming down a mountain though, I would need rubber pants if I did that. cos I would be wetting myself)

I think Froome would have won the tour this year if he hadn't been in the same team as Wiggins.

He'd have won it if he'd been the team leader at Sky for sure but if he'd been at another team? Maybe, maybe not. Potential future winner though certainlysmile.png .

Edit: Rob Hayles agrees with me...

"You have to bear in mind that had Chris Froome gone to another team as a direct rival to Brad, the chances are he wouldn't be in this position, because he wouldn't have had the team structure and training preparation the Team Sky guys have had, so he wouldn't actually be in this position with another team. So it is a difficult one to judge."

Edited by MikeO

He'd have won it if he'd been the team leader at Sky for sure but if he'd been at another team? Maybe, maybe not. Potential future winner though certainlysmile.png .

Edit: Rob Hayles agrees with me...

"You have to bear in mind that had Chris Froome gone to another team as a direct rival to Brad, the chances are he wouldn't be in this position, because he wouldn't have had the team structure and training preparation the Team Sky guys have had, so he wouldn't actually be in this position with another team. So it is a difficult one to judge."

also brad is for nominal in the time trials, would froome be able to gain the time in the mountains that he would lose to brad on those time trials

• 3 months later...

Question maybe the Belgian members will have a take on given the current Armstrong situation...

If doping was endemic in the tour how long has it been like that? The only thing I'm aware of is that when Tommy Simpson died he was up to the eyeballs in stuff and it seems to have been totally normal back then.

If it's always been that way what about (for example) Merckx, Indurain & Anquetil? Is there any suspicion (or even acceptance) that they doped?

Indurain today...

"Even now I believe in his innocence. He has always respected all the regulations. He has won all the cases he's had."

"What surprises me is that he doesn't keep fighting. I think he will come back and appeal and try to show that he played fair for all those years."

huh.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There was something simlar I found the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

It's that time of the year again where I think about buying a new bike. I've been looking at Wiggle and think it may be worth having one delivered to another counrty. I can save 200 quid buy having it delivered to France (I'm considering going for a few days and it'd sort of pay for itself if I save on the bike :\ <- Louis logic).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's not the color, it's the price. And how many people can afford £200 for a new bike, and even then it's half the original price.

I've seen bikes priced at over £1000 before. It's fucking ridiculous. And then there's the maintenance costs..

Halfords do puncture-proof tires I've seen advertised, but when you go into any premises, lo and behold there's never any available.

It's the very worst thing about owning a bike I've always found. Damn fucking nuisance, especially when they occur so frequently, and you do have to ask yourself sometimes - it is worth the trouble.

But if you can avoid that, actually a decent ride out and about on coastal routes on a pleasant day if you're out of the elements.

Guest blueboy122

Looking to get into cycling, although not the road cycling. I want to start biking round Snowdonia and Maus Fama etc when we get a few nice days in the summer. Bike wise I wouldnt have a clue on what to spend, makes etc.

Anyone know anymore?