IGNORED

Cycling

Just go to a reliable store or shop owner that repairs and sells second-hands and you won't go far wrong. Bought one last week, good dependable model, and knocked down on cost,for a reasonable price. Or if you want, just go to a recognized retailer like Halfords and pick up one new but don't expect to pay much under £200 or £300 for cheapest models. Fuck all that when you can pick up one that gets you from A-Z at a fraction of the cost.from a dependable repair shop.

If you're going mountain trekking I'd seriously consider puncture-resistant tires, rather than just take along the standard repair kit. Around £80 though, for a reliable tire, but money well spent if it keeps you on the road.

Looking to get into cycling, although not the road cycling. I want to start biking round Snowdonia and Maus Fama etc when we get a few nice days in the summer. Bike wise I wouldnt have a clue on what to spend, makes etc.

Anyone know anymore?

Got a mountain bike but not a very serious one, good fun though.

Think if you're looking at Snowdonia etc you'll need something a bit serious, this looks OK at a reasonable price..

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/db-outback-dd-p181104

There's this for £110 - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50-mountain-bike-black-id_8202062.html

Found a review on Youtube:

My bike was £30 from Tesco ohmy.png I've spent around £20 on accessories (mud guards, new seat, lights, storage bag and cycle computer). It's ok for A to B but I wouldn't dare go on a mountain with it. It looks very similar to the above but I peeled off all the ugly decals so I couldn't even tell you who make it.

There's no such thing as a £30 bike from Tescos, the cheapest models would set you back around £200 and even then, only the largest stores would cater for such a thing. No high street sales, you'd have to go to a retail park to get it, but that's where they'll all moving to now anyway.

There's always the old adage 'you get what you pay for' so be prudent when you make a purchase, but as before, you can get a decent second hand model from a reliable repair store for not much above the first mentioned price. What a cycle computer is, I fail to recognize.

Was £90 though, and can't they make a distinction between boys and men ?

That was news to me, I've seen them advertised before, and prices started at around £200, so this cut down on price was a surprise.

Good luck in trying to puchase one from their stores though, unless you get a home delivery and pay the extra cost.

£30 did sound questionable. I think Louis may have meant someone sold him the bike on Tescos land or outside the premises, that had no direct affiliation with the company themselves. You simply can't buy a product like that from the business in question for such a price, unless it was in reference to something that occured many years ago, but even then, product prices weren't greatly reduced from today.

Guest blueboy122

Thanks for all the replies! Think I have decided upon a Dimond Back bike? Is that a reputable make within the mountain bike industry?

Thanks for all the replies! Think I have decided upon a Dimond Back bike? Is that a reputable make within the mountain bike industry?

Reckon, like most things, you'll get what you pay for. They look a very good make to me.

Meanwhile, watching the Giro on Eurosport, Sean Kelly has the most boring voice on the planet!

depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. If it is for true mountain biking, you need a full suspension bike. I thought Diamondback were mostly BMX but apparently not? looking at their website, theyve got a good decision aid:

http://www.diamondback.com/decision-engine

Id be going for a Specialized. Absolutely love mine (not full suspension, half way jobby). Theyre not cheap, but for good reason

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it acceptable to refer to Froome as the first African tour de France winner? It seems he's being claimed as British although he was born in Kenya and educated in South Africa and has a home in Joburg.

That makes him as much English as Vinny Jones is Welsh, Andy Townsend is Irish..........., so "Yes" is the answer.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

As a matter of interest, why has it suddenly become Tour d'Angleterre, with cyclists racing from Cambridge to London?

They quite often take the "Grand Depart" to another country, it was in England in 2007 as well; plus they nipped over for a couple of early stages in 1994 (to mark the opening of the channel tunnel). Also fairly regularly visits, mostly for the start, neighboring countries; probably one of our Belgian members will know more.

I love watching it.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Funny that we have a world superstar (in Cavendish) who could walk down any street in the UK and barely be recognised. Profile of cycling has risen with the success of our track team (and to a lesser extent Cavedish's TDF exploits) but it's still very much a minority sport. I've always watched whatever coverage we could get of "Le Tour," Robert Millar's King of the Mountains in '84 was the highlight smile.gif .

What's thought on the continent of Britain's master plan to find an overall winner by 2014 (LINK HERE)? Be interested to see what you think....

delusional smile.gif

you can't built a winning team in 5 years ... if there was some british talent out there that would be capable of winning the tour de france, i'm quite sure i would have heard about that guy ...

so the only way i can see "Team Sky" winning the Tour, is if they buy foreign talent ... that would take so much money that his return on investment will be non-existant in a market that doesn't care about cycling such as the UK ... besides for the brits there's not much fun in seeing a foreigner win even if he's racing for your team .. cycling is still to a large degree an individual sport, where teams come and go.

His plan just shows that he doesn't know much about cycling and how other teams and countries are trying to train Tour de France winners.

however if he just wants to raise intrest in britain, maybe launching a dumb idea is a brilliant strategy smile.gif.

*smug*

This year's TDF...

"British riders have won five stages out of eight, hold three of the jerseys and are frankly ripping it up."

Froome's win today was astounding.

How many more times are you going to throw that post in my face? :)

Only the second time in seven years I think mate (though I reserve the right to use it again :P).

Astonishing the progression we've had in recent years; Sky being the focus but individual success in other teams also.

Amazing the amount of people you see out on the roads over here now, been an explosion.