IGNORED

Press conference called for "significant club announcement" - 4pm

Hahaha!!!

Got in from work and as always read the SSN transfer info on me phone. Read about the Barkley contract (btw, is this the 2nd signing Martinez talked of?!!!)...scrolled down and noticed earlier in the day a conference had been called.

My first thought was get onto TT, bound to be a thread with a load of excitement!

Great news he's signed. But think the Everton media team have gone into overdrive with the announcement and hype.

Such a bizarre club!

I don't get the negativity here. The club have just announced to great fanfare one of England's best and most wanted youngsters, making a show to prove a point; we are a big club with the best up and coming players who then make a statement to the world saying how it's a dream to play for Everton. It's very clever and justified PR, for a change....

I don't agree Matt, I think it's slightly cringeworthy. Do you see United, City, Chelsea (or most cluns for that matter) announce deals like this? It makes us look small and lacks class .

This of course is just my opinion, if it floats your boat then thats all well and good but it could have just broke on the os and then been discussed at the next scheduled press conference with Ross at his side saying all the good things he did.

To me that would have been the way to go about it. Sort of like yes one of the brightest talents in the country has signed for us and why wouldn't he, we're one of the biggest clubs in the country, done the press conference with other stuff on the agenda and moved on.

It's the lack of situational awareness. I don't think anyone is unhappy that we've signed Barkley to an extension, but with everyone on pins and needles about Lukaku it comes across as a bit of a let down. I'm ecstatic tho.

Yep.

It just comes down to people's expectation level. It's a natural human instinct I think.

If someone was skint and got told they would get 10 million quid, but ended up only getting 1 million quid, they'd feel disappointed....looking at what they 'lost' as opposed to gained.

You get me bitches?

It was celebrating one of the best talents around signing a deal. Wouldn't you want to show your pride that this talent wants to sign for your club? I'm sure other clubs do do this, I know Liverpool have done it in the past with their youth players like Sterling.

I know no one is disappointed by the news for the record.

It was the up front labelling of it as a "significant club announcement" that led to the let down imo. That just doesn't smack of one of our own players signing a new contract, no matter how important he might be; it sounded like it was going to be more. If they'd just announced "a live press conference" then I'd have no problem with it. Over the moon he's signed.

I don't agree Matt, I think it's slightly cringeworthy. Do you see United, City, Chelsea (or most cluns for that matter) announce deals like this? It makes us look small and lacks class .

yes they all do. wayne rooney had one about 15 times this last campaign. john terry had one when he resigned with mourinho. arsenal have had them with Ox, Wilshere, etc.

It was celebrating one of the best talents around signing a deal. Wouldn't you want to show your pride that this talent wants to sign for your club? I'm sure other clubs do do this, I know Liverpool have done it in the past with their youth players like Sterling.

I know no one is disappointed by the news for the record.

You sure know how to exaggerate.

yes they all do. wayne rooney had one about 15 times this last campaign. john terry had one when he resigned with mourinho. arsenal have had them with Ox, Wilshere, etc.

No they don't. They may have a low key run of the mill press conference but they don't big it up like it 's the second coming like we did today it 's a farce.

are you for real mate wtf

Listen patt'e if you's got your heads out of fat head kenwrights arse am started smelling the coffee you would see that he is reducing the buyability of our club with everything he sanctions. That today was a cringe. I don't buy all the standing outside the suites before kick off happily speaking to the kids. What a terrific guy he is. Pure genuine. Naming our players by there nicknames like hes involved in dressing room banter.

No, no and no. No matter what u say to me, he's a cunt and a fake.

Edited by Brett Angel

It was the up front labelling of it as a "significant club announcement" that led to the let down imo. That just doesn't smack of one of our own players signing a new contract, no matter how important he might be; it sounded like it was going to be more. If they'd just announced "a live press conference" then I'd have no problem with it. Over the moon he's signed.

yes the club have gone over the top, but some people on tt are doing exactly the same.

we efc are in the best position for years and yet we have so many people criticising the club and wanting to find fault.

Both spot on.

I am glad that Barkley has signed a new contract, shows Martinez wants to tie down our players. Nowadays though contracts don't mean anything. All it means is that they might stay another season then go for more money. Suarez signed a contract in November now he has gone, Arteta signed a new 4 year contract and he went to Arsenal. Didn't Fellaini also do the same? Might be wrong there though :).

Listen patt'e if you's got your heads out of fat head kenwrights arse am started smelling the coffee you would see that he is reducing the buyability of our club with everything he sanctions. That today was a cringe. I don't buy all the standing outside the suites before kick off happily speaking to the kids. What a terrific guy he is. Pure genuine. Naming our players by there nicknames like hes involved in dressing room banter.

No, no and no. No matter what u say to me, he's a cunt and a fake.

But he said nothing about Kenwright.

He said "are you for real" when you said we are "officially a small club".

:dont know:

So many overreactions here. This is great news for the club. Have any of the upset supporters considered that this news and the manner in which it was released has more to do with showing those on the outside of the club how we are major up-and-comers? As supporters who follow the ins and outs of the club every day, we have a tendency to be a bit myopic about these sorts of things. For someone who supports Man City, for instance, this probably seems like a bigger deal than it does to some of us.

We should be happy that it sends the message that major talents WANT to play here and that we aren't a club who sells off our young talent any more. It's a middle finger in the faces of those supporters who think their clubs can just have our players or those journos who think they can just go ahead and sell them for us.

I'm a bit smitten, you could say.

Plus, I have a good feeling Rom will sign soon, anyhow.

So many overreactions here. This is great news for the club. Have any of the upset supporters considered that this news and the manner in which it was released has more to do with showing those on the outside of the club how we are major up-and-comers? As supporters who follow the ins and outs of the club every day, we have a tendency to be a bit myopic about these sorts of things. For someone who supports Man City, for instance, this probably seems like a bigger deal than it does to some of us.

We should be happy that it sends the message that major talents WANT to play here and that we aren't a club who sells off our young talent any more. It's a middle finger in the faces of those supporters who think their clubs can just have our players or those journos who think they can just go ahead and sell them for us.

I'm a bit smitten, you could say.

Plus, I have a good feeling Rom will sign soon, anyhow.

And Barkley will go to city in January for £40 mil when they have a slow start.

yes the club have gone over the top, but some people on tt are doing exactly the same.

we efc are in the best position for years and yet we have so many people criticising the club and wanting to find fault.

But the thing is that im overjoyed about Barkley signing. Its brilliant work by the club. The club deserves praise for binding Barkley to the club. However, a simple statement to the press would have been enough. A press conference is fine too. But to call the reason for the press conference a "significant announcement" was a mistake. Especially when everyone is thirsty for major news. Breaking the clubs transfer record on a brilliant striker such as Lukaku would have been a significant announcement.

Over the moon about the news, underwelmed in regards to the way it was announced.

MikeO, i know Coleman has signed already, my point was that if he, Ross and Stones would have signed at the same time, it would have been a significant announcement.

Edited by Peter H

Are you seriously questioning Ross being "one of the best young talents around"?

It depends how high your standards are. And maybe you're right, but if he would have been born 2-3 years sooner, I would have been sterner. Cause then you would have put him between Neymar, Götze, Hazard, Rodriguez, Kroos, Shaqiri and Oscar. And he's not of that level, despite EFC calling the nation's press together today to announce a silly contract extension.

I, for one, am SHOCKED that you of all people would find something negative to say about giving a new contract to the best talent Everton have pushed out in over a decade. Totally out of the ordinary for you!

Look. This is what Everton did today: *BREAKING NEWS* We signed a player we already have!

really, Everton....

Edited by Mirallas

Yes. Look at the bigger picture here. Without actually saying so, the board/chairman/manager are outlining the fact that we are here and are no longer a 'selling club' that has to farm off it's best players to survive.

In other words we have changed our whole perspective in the way we approach club finances and the purchase of new players.

Get used to it people, this is the new Everton!

COYB

It depends how high your standards are. And maybe you're right, but if he would have been born 2-3 years sooner, I would have been sterner. Cause then you would have put him between Neymar, Götze, Hazard, Rodriguez, Kroos, Shaqiri and Oscar. And he's not of that level, despite EFC calling the nation's press together today to announce a silly contract extension.

Look. This is what Everton did today: *BREAKING NEWS* We signed a player we already have!

really, Everton....

I don't see how that isn't breaking news. Let's not pretend it was that they gave Joel Robles or Steven Naismith two more years. They gave a big extension the biggest u21 talent that England has produced in a long time, and one that was involved in heavy media speculation regarding a transfer. How is that NOT news? Should they have just not announced it?