IGNORED

New Fan...Where do I start?

Ben

After years of very casually following the EPL from across the pond in the United States, I've finally decided to start supporting a team. I think Everton is a great fit and like that is not as much a "bandwagon" team as some of the bigger clubs (Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.).

The problem is, I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways that I can learn about the team (current squad, history, chants/songs)? What are some of the main things that I need to know as a supporter of Everton?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Ben, I really don't want to sound harsh and I am happy you have chosen everton as your preferred team but I have never fathom how someone can just pick a team and start supporting them.

It's either drilled into you or an experience has made this choice for you.

Supporters really do baffle me nowdays. When I was young I never listened or toll on board anything my dad said but due to him supporting everton and me being around that experience I was hooked. It's like something you cannot choose. I could have taken a easier more smug, glory hunting path when I was younger and followed man utd or liverpool for that matter but it chooses you.

Hi Ben, I really don't want to sound harsh and I am happy you have chosen everton as your preferred team but I have never fathom how someone can just pick a team and start supporting them.

Supporters really do baffle me nowdays. When I was young I never listened or toll on board anything my dad said but due to him supporting everton and me being around that experience I was hooked. It's like something you cannot choose. I could have taken a easier more smug, glory hunting path when I was younger and followed man utd or liverpool for that matter but it chooses you.

This is the testimony of a man who only knows one way of becoming a fan.

I've experienced both. I've grown up to be a Club Brugge supporter since I was a toddler, as I went to school in the center of Bruges as a kid and teenager. And I do go to the stadium every once in a while. But just like you, I've taken a lot of interest in the EPL in recent years and took fancy in teams of which I liked the style of footballing. For instance I started to take a fancy in Manchester City and Chelsea early on, whereas I disliked Arsenal and ManU's football. I've grown into liking EFC a lot, definitely in very recent years. Now I actually like Everton as much as I like Club Brugge.

Edited by Mirallas

This is the testimony of a man who only knows one way of becoming a fan.

I've experienced both. I've grown up to be a Club Brugge supporter since I was a toddler, as I went to school in the center of Bruges as a kid and teenager. And I do go to the stadium every once in a while. But just like you, I've taken a lot of interest in the EPL in recent years and took fancy in teams of which I liked the style of footballing. For instance I started to take a fancy in Manchester City and Chelsea early on, whereas I disliked Arsenal and ManU's football. I've grown into liking EFC a lot, definitely in very recent years. Now I actually like Everton as much as I like Club Brugge.

Oh look, the ducks popped up again.

became a fan 6 years ago, you wouldn't be able to tell me apart from a fan born in Liverpool. (Except for the lack of a scouse accent)

You just feel a connection and after knowing so much about a team you feel apart of that history and of it.

What I did was just read a lot about the club and watched the games. Each game that goes by and the excitement you feel you will make you want more. It is addicting and the great Everton community on the internet, in Liverpool, and even in the states will make you feel more and more home.

Welcome to the family, plenty of room ;)

Remember:

Evertonians are born, not manufactured

We did not choose we were chosen

Those that know, understand

Those that don't, don't matter.

Hopefully you've been chosen and you'll know soon enough if that is the case when you are hooked on the team and club!

What kind of welcome is that? There's a time and place for expressing your opinion on fans, and this is not it. Hopefully, Ben isn't put off by such ill-considered comments.

If you want, all of us who weren't as lucky as you to be an Evertonian from birth can go away and stop giving money to the club that then gets used to buy new players....

What kind of welcome is that? There's a time and place for expressing your opinion on fans, and this is not it. Hopefully, Ben isn't put off by such ill-considered comments.

Gonna stick up for Brett on this, I don't think he intended on being unwelcoming, he welcomed the poster & said he was glad he chose to join our family. He was just expressing his opinion, based on his own experiences which I can relate to. At the same time, I think it's shit hot that we are picking up supporters from all over the world & it goes to show how far we have come as a club in recent years. Anyway.........welcome on board Ben lad, great choice! :) Edited by BlueBlood81

Gonna stick up for Brett on this, I don't think he intended on being unwelcoming, he welcomed the poster & said he was glad he chose to join our family. He was just expressing his opinion, based on his own experiences which I can relate to. At the same time, I think it's shit hot that we are picking up supporters from all over the world & it goes to show how far we have come as a club in recent years. Anyway.........welcome on board Ben lad, great choice! :)

Thanks blue, at least someone reads the entire post without jumping. There was a walm welcome in there, it's just easy for other plebs to take the higher ground.

Edited by Brett Angel

Welcome and welcome and once again WELCOME

I am the sane one in here that they keep locked in the small cage out the back .... oooh look a squirrel!

Apart from researching the club on the interwebby thing, you can always ask in here too.

Apart from the offside rule. Never ask about the offside rule .... that's for girly people such as errr .... girls?

Can you blame him given the ire directed in his direction - intentional or otherwise? You can never undo first impressions. I do hope he sticks around, though.

Fuck me Cornish, they weren't even bad replies. Grow a pair will ya's they where opinions and if I'm not mistaken he was welcomed on every post.

Do you wear a skirt my friend?

The current dialogue reminds me of a pratt who really wanted to join a discussion forum for pratts. He received the cursory nod and then had to put up with a rant: "I don't know how you can consider yourself a proper pratt. I've been a pratt since birth, so no one can doubt that I'm a right dumb-ass. You come waltzing in here, believing you have the right to be a complete pratt..." but maybe that's for another time. Let me just double-check I'm in the right place... Yup: This is the place for thinking Evertonians. I think you're confused and should stop by www.born-a-pratt-always-a-pratt.com.