IGNORED

Landon Donovan

Landon Donovan has been contacted by Everton and a loan move over the course of MLS Winter Break is on the cards.

It would probably be a decent move to be fair, another popular USA national team player joining us will own improve our 'brand reputation' in the USA. Brian McBride did this a few years back and he performed well. He's only 25 and has 96 caps !

Source - my anomynous friend ;)

Ugh. If you guys thought Yakubu was soft, wait until you get a load of Donovan. Talk about someone who's the exact opposite of a Moyes-type player - total prima donna, almost never shows any kind of grit or ambition. Now I'd love to see him prove me wrong about that- he's got tons of talent and could be a big help for us if he comes in willing to put in the kind of work that Moyes demands - I just have this nagging feeling that even if he does show up (and I'll believe that when I see it), he'll be running home to LA to cry on his girlfriend's shoulder before the month is out.

he captains the national side, is one of the top scorers for the US, and is considered by many to be the best american in the game at the moment

wouldn't mind seeing him come over but he does have a knack for not playing all that well when he gets put on the big stages (2006 world cup)

he does play well for the galaxy though and had a great summer when the US won the gold cup

i'm sure tim howard will be talking to both sides if this is the least bit true

• 1 year later...

On loan would be OK, we'd only have him for around 2 and a bit months though if he plans to go back to the MLS on time for the start of the season.

Then again, we do have Saha, Yakubu, Jo, Vaughan and Anichebe (both hopefully back from injury) available at the time, would he really be a necessary addition?

Ugh. If you guys thought Yakubu was soft, wait until you get a load of Donovan. Talk about someone who's the exact opposite of a Moyes-type player - total prima donna, almost never shows any kind of grit or ambition. Now I'd love to see him prove me wrong about that- he's got tons of talent and could be a big help for us if he comes in willing to put in the kind of work that Moyes demands - I just have this nagging feeling that even if he does show up (and I'll believe that when I see it), he'll be running home to LA to cry on his girlfriend's shoulder before the month is out.

A year ago I would have agreed with you but I think he has changed. I haven't been able to see his games with the Galaxy (nor would I want to) but from what I have seen from the national side he has turned into a dependable leader who delivers in big games where not so long ago he would completely go awol. I think his time at Bayern (or was it Leverkusen?)humbled him and he realizes while he may have looked a world beater in the MLS and playing sides like Trinidad, Jamaica, and Canada for the national team that he is no more then a decent player on the world stage.

Did you see the confed cup? He made the US team his own. If Dempsey, a player who dives, and occasionally dogs it can thrive at a hard working team like Fulham, I think Donovan can be fantastic for us.

On loan would be OK, we'd only have him for around 2 and a bit months though if he plans to go back to the MLS on time for the start of the season.

Then again, we do have Saha, Yakubu, Jo, Vaughan and Anichebe (both hopefully back from injury) available at the time, would he really be a necessary addition?

Vaughan is going back to Derby on loan and Vic & Yak will be away with Nigeria for the African Nations Cup

Ugh. If you guys thought Yakubu was soft, wait until you get a load of Donovan.

A year ago I would have agreed with you but I think he has changed.

JD posted that two years ago :P .

Don't know enough about him personally so on this occasion I'll have to trust Davey's judegment B) .

Yank here. New to the forums.

Landon is the best player the US has ever produced and right now he's playing the best he's ever played. This is the perfect time for him to try his hand in the Prem. I just wish it wasn't a 3 month tease. This will be a perfect fit for both player and club IMO. Look forward to seeing him produce some oh his brilliance at the highest level with Everton.

(Oh and expect an influx of American users if this becomes official :))

I dont really know too much about him but we will need cover in January so it doesnt seem like a bad bet.

Saying that I dont really know what position he plays. On some sites it says attacking midfielder and other its says striker. We could do with another wide player or striker but what we dont need is another timmy/felii who plays just behind the striker.

Edited by Bailey

I dont really know too much about him but we will need cover in January so it doesnt seem like a bad bet.

Saying that I dont really know what position he plays. On some sites it says attacking midfielder and other its says striker. We could do with another wide player or striker but what we dont need is another timmy/felii who plays just behind the striker.

He plays wide left for the US and sort of has the Cristiano Ronaldo free roam role.

Yank here. New to the forums.

Landon is the best player the US has ever produced and right now he's playing the best he's ever played. This is the perfect time for him to try his hand in the Prem. I just wish it wasn't a 3 month tease. This will be a perfect fit for both player and club IMO. Look forward to seeing him produce some oh his brilliance at the highest level with Everton.

(Oh and expect an influx of American users if this becomes official :))

Thats if he ever gets into the team.

He has played at both positions, so that makes him a better deal. He can play where he is needed. He is a better midfielder than striker and his pace makes on counterattacks is good, look at the goal he scored against Brazil.

Can see why Donovan would want to play here. Seeing as England are in his group, would give him valuable experience against his upcoming opposition.

And with Yak off to the ACN, he'll be welcome cover for Saha as well as cover for the wing. And, it'll be much better than being forced into playing Agard or Baxter in an important game.

Little financial pain for us and possibly a great return on that investment.

Edited by Grarghsies

Let's hope he can adapt to the pace of the game, I ain't so sure. Beckham needed Italy to get sharp and the prem is way quicker than Italy.... May take him 3 months to find his feet.

Donovan has a lot more pace than Beckham ever did. If Donovan plays with the intensity he does for the US team, he'll be a wonderful addition to the midfield.

Hello.. just registered from the USA on news of Landon Donovan's possible move.

If the move is made you are really going to get some quality I don't think you are expecting. Yes he can be cocky, but he has the skins on the wall to back it up for the most part. He will provide speed on the wing and can play midfield or up front. Of course, and maybe most importantly, he is an excellent finisher.

For your entertainment here is his goal of the year in the MLS (Golden Balls approved):

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5988511&team_id=mls

Edited by nbtc971

The Americans are coming on in droves but dont get your hopes up, The Belgians thought Fellaini was a superman until he got here, it will be harder for Donovan. :P

Thats if he ends up here, Palace and Fulham want him, i say let him go to London.

Without seeing much of him and also being quite skeptical that a MLS player will cut it in the Premiership, I think that for 3 months wages and maybe a nominal fee he will be worth the punt. We are already short and we will potentially have 3 more leave (2 of the current 'fit' squad). Even if he is only good to run around, provide cover when necessary and possibly chip in with the odd key pass etc then I dont see the harm. If we were fishing out a large transfer fee then I would agree with you, but 3 months would probably be good for both parties.

Dont forget Donovan will be looking to impress for the WC and will be determined to put in good performances.

Without seeing much of him and also being quite skeptical that a MLS player will cut it in the Premiership, I think that for 3 months wages and maybe a nominal fee he will be worth the punt. We are already short and we will potentially have 3 more leave (2 of the current 'fit' squad). Even if he is only good to run around, provide cover when necessary and possibly chip in with the odd key pass etc then I dont see the harm. If we were fishing out a large transfer fee then I would agree with you, but 3 months would probably be good for both parties.

Dont forget Donovan will be looking to impress for the WC and will be determined to put in good performances.

Like Tim Howard, Dempsey,Mcbride , Altidore, Guzan and Friedel. I will give you Eddie Johnson.