IGNORED

Landon Donovan

If that's the case then I'm pleased. Nice to get some business done early.....makes a change :) .

If we're going well (and he is) and looking like a final appearance is a possibility so you think he'll ask Galaxy if he can extend his stay :P ?

The problem is that MLS owns all contracts on players except Designated Players Donovan is not one and MLS would want some Major Transfer money. Who knows the player union is in talks with MLS about a new contract.

Edited by Patricksp

The problem is that MLS owns all contracts on players except Designated Players Donovan is not one and MLS would want some Major Transfer money. Who knows the player union is in talks with MLS about a new contract.

I was just reading some of the comments on the link you posted and some are saying his contract expires this year 09 but Galaxy have an option of a two year extension, Hows does it work do they have the power to impose the extension without his consent or can he leave if he chooses as a free agent?

I was just reading some of the comments on the link you posted and some are saying his contract expires this year 09 but Galaxy have an option of a two year extension, Hows does it work do they have the power to impose the extension without his consent or can he leave if he chooses as a free agent?

No they cannot extend his contract without his consent.

IF his contract expires in 09 the extension gives the Galaxy(MLS) first crack at signing him, but if another team in MLS want Donovan they would have to compensate the Galaxy as in PLayers, money or future players, because the Galaxy hold on to his rights as a player. The contract has nothing to do with other leagues like the Prem or Germany etc. MLS does this as to keep costs down, Donovan is paid 900,000 you can look it up on the Players union website. I have heard that his contract does expire in 2010 not 09. I have talked to some of the Players and Most that are any good will sign a 3,4 year contract with future extensions, but it depends on the player if he wants to stay. I do not think Donovan will resign with the Galaxy unless they change the Rules Allowing a second DP MLS only allows 1 DP per team unless you trade for it there are rumors that there are going to be three. Donovan contract was grandfathered in (not considered a DP) so that Beckham could be signed.

I hope this helps I know it's confusing

so we only get him for two months won't it take him that long to get used to the game. We have saha yak and jo all fighting for one place I would much rather see a CB come in on loan. Why are we wasting our time chasing prima dona's like this guy.

It was this guy who moaned about beckham going on loan to Milan.

I dont think Moysie will use him as a forward I think he will look to utilise his pace on the wings

Everybody knows we have been screaming out for a pacy winger for years now and even if he is only here for a few months I think it is a win win situation

We are not exactly overloaded with players at the moment so any half decent player is more than welcome as far as Im concerned

Do you know what this has really got on my nerves: ok so I understand as fans we will accept any new players who are of a decent standard based on the clubs current financial plight. However we need to turn around our season we are constrained by a growing injury list (Yobo last night) we need quality and quantity on long term loan deals why are we getting in a player who has no experience of the english game who will be here for 2 months and then leave again. He will spend the first 2 months settling in if he gets 2 goals I will be surprised. We need to be blooding the young players we have not getting in very short-term gambles. We need winger cover give baxter a go we need CB cover give one of the young boys ago. If getting this fellar on loan for 2 months is moyes/kenrights best effort at turning round our season I for one am losing passion for the club in it's current state.

I come back to a point I made months back If I am piernar/jags/saha/yak and I have been busting myself up to get fit and back into the team playing far too many games and then I see no investment in the squad I would be looking to leave because it is obvious Evereton have reached their plateau in terms of sustainable performances.

We have been punching above our wait for the last 7 years (except the ones where we finished int he bottom half). How we pulled off last season was a miracle but miracles can only get you so sar and now we flying on fumes and plane is most definatley on a downard spiral. I think last summers transfer debacle and this summers debacle then Lescott leaving in the way he did is only pointing at 1 thing losing the better players and the manager. If moyes leaves we will be the next Bolton I fully expect us to have 10 years fighting relegation under some cheap inexperienced manager. I give moyes 2 years before he quits

I agree to a certain extent, but what troubles me more would be if Moyes feels the same way.

An already small squad gets dessimated every season and we have to play anybody who can pull a pair of boots on, we never have a consistent season, it seems every year theres good patches, bad patches, and Very bad patches.

This season would have been the season we should have had the bragging rights, because our neighbors are playing rubbish, what do we do ?? we play even worse rubbish. Moyes cant keep producing Miracles out of fresh air, there will come a time when he will just sit down and say .......... aaah Fook it i'm off.

PS .... Aaarg you beat me with your second post. Slow typing on my part. ;)

why would you stick around for the absoulte crud hand he gets dealt every season I don't care how much bill loves the club he does not have the business accumen or money to take us forward. If we can't go forward we go back. I honestly believe this is the begining of a very dark period for our club. piernar arteta felli all these players could be champions league players and if we don't move forward they will leave to get that. I understand that we really need investment but we areobvioulsy not running the club well if we cannot get in players.

Do you know what this has really got on my nerves: ok so I understand as fans we will accept any new players who are of a decent standard based on the clubs current financial plight. However we need to turn around our season we are constrained by a growing injury list (Yobo last night) we need quality and quantity on long term loan deals why are we getting in a player who has no experience of the english game who will be here for 2 months and then leave again. He will spend the first 2 months settling in if he gets 2 goals I will be surprised. We need to be blooding the young players we have not getting in very short-term gambles. We need winger cover give baxter a go we need CB cover give one of the young boys ago. If getting this fellar on loan for 2 months is moyes/kenrights best effort at turning round our season I for one am losing passion for the club in it's current state.

I come back to a point I made months back If I am piernar/jags/saha/yak and I have been busting myself up to get fit and back into the team playing far too many games and then I see no investment in the squad I would be looking to leave because it is obvious Evereton have reached their plateau in terms of sustainable performances.

Just a thought for you with regards to your questioning signing Donovan on a short term loan.

How many quality players do you think are out there who are available in January to loan?( wouldnt mind trying to get Bentley on loan mind you!)

You say he should give the likes of Baxter a go instead, well maybe Moyse sees him every day in training and either thinks he is not ready or not good enough

I cant see why you are so against getting Donovan in, its not going to cost the club much and the player is going to have a point to prove.

It may not work out but for me its nothing ventured nothing gained and with the Yak and Vaughn being away from January I think its imperative that we get more bodies in

I agree with you about the rest though if we dont start investing in the side we will lose our best players

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it is what it is.

Moyes has at his disposal what he's given, Kenwright gives him what he can and pays the players what he can.

I wish, I wish, I wish as well but unless someone has a magic lamp that's all it is.

There's always the West Ham/Portsmouth route to Nirvana....paved with Oil billions it is...many, many Evertonians would have been dancing in the streets if Bill had sold to those guys. Or the Notts County saviours. We'd be on our way to the Champions league then wouldn't we?

I know.....lets borrow some more to invest in the squad! But then the same people screaming for investnment would slam Bill for saddling the club with more debt.

As I said....it is what it is....and until it's different it's pointless wishing for a magic formula....unless someone has a cow they want to swap for some magic beans I have in my posession :) .

Moyes on Donovan...

I can't tell you too much just now because we are just finalising things,"

"But I think that will probably happen in a couple of weeks."

"I would rather wait until it's done. Maybe in a couple of weeks we will be able to tell you a little bit more."

The word is that the deal is done, but Everton want to extend the loan for the rest of the season and not just the Three months.

LA Galaxy Statement Update

I also read that Jose tweeted on congratulating Donovan on the move.

I really wonder how much influence Tim Howard will have with this deal. I think they are roommates when they are playing for USA. If I had a friend on the team it would make the transition alot easier and fit in with the team.

I hope this deal gets done soon, because I have Christmas shopping to do.

Let's hope he can adapt to the pace of the game, I ain't so sure. Beckham needed Italy to get sharp and the prem is way quicker than Italy.... May take him 3 months to find his feet.

Though Beckham was expected to return to L.A. in March, after impressing at the Italian club, scoring two goals in his first four matches and assisting on several more, rumors began to swirl that Beckham would stay in Milan, with the Italian club reportedly offering to pay a multi-million dollar fee for the English legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Beckham

Sounds to me like Beckham was already plenty sharp when he arrived in Italy. MLS can't have hurt his game too much.

Everton "agree deal in principle" for ten week loan according to breaking news on the beeb.

On the OS...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/blues-close-on-donovan.html

"You want to go where you are wanted and Everton have been incredibly professional and expressed their interest and I feel that is a place where I would feel very comfortable."

Donovan press conference: http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/t106/index.jsp

excited about the whole thing. i love watching him play and i'm over the moon that he's coming to my favorite club.

the only problem i have is that on the galaxy website they say that we can't ask about a permanent transfer. i think if he does well enough for us to want to buy him then we should be able to make an offer. i wonder if it's just an agreement that it's not entirely up to us whether we make the move permanent, but that they will take offers in the summer window if we want him.

Hello everyone, another yank here. (oh noes!)

I'm another "one" who didn't really start following the EPL until some Americans came over. (Admit it, you wouldn't watch the NFL unless you heard of a Brit starting somewhere, right?). Anyway because of this, I have come to be a mini-toffee over here. :) I'm in Seattle and am a Sounders fan. Go ahead, flame away.

On to Donovan - It is almost universally good news to everyone over here, this loan spell. Many of us would like to see him impress and possibly earn a transfer. BUT when he signed that extension with the Galaxy the other day through 2013, that certainly makes that less likely to happen (I would think, anyway, unless the MLS is trying to build up his value for a transfer fee...)

I found this site on a google search for Everton forums, and I came to help dispell some myths that I know a lot of Brits have on Donovan. I don't blame you guys either, I'm sure watching the MLS is about as exciting to you guys as watching old people fornicate. Most of you have had most of your exposure to Landon from World Cup action. In 2006, Donovan was pretty crappy. I'll say it. That was not really an accurate representation of how Donovan plays most of the time. In fact that's not even representative of how he plays on the big stages - witness this year's effort in the CONCACAF.

You guys are very high on McBride, and rightfully so..... He was a good ambassador for us. To put that in perspective, realize that Donovan has 42 goals on the National Team, most all-time for us. McBride had 30, and Wynalda had 34. I realize the US is not a world-beater when it comes to the National team, but these goals scored are not in MLS-level of play. Donovan put one in the net against Brazil and Italy this year, as a matter of fact. Make no mistake about it, if you're looking for a player in the US, Donovan is probably one of your best options. When all is said and done, you guys need to understand the overall situation. the "R" word is staring in your direction, and you're losing players to other duties and injuries. Here you have one of the best players our country has to offer and for what? A few quid? No skin off your back, I'd be all over this if I were you.

Now, what about his reputation about his attitude & his toughness? Frankly I think he was pretty immature when he went to Germany last time around. He went there thinking he was shit hot, that he'd be dominating. I think he got a rude awakening and has since learned his lesson. He is nowhere near as myopic and immature as he used to be, now he is a very good leader for both his MLS team and the US Nat team (yes he doesn't wear the armband, but he's a leader). He has matured both as a player and on the pitch. He has learned how to better use his smaller frame to his advantage. His speed is amazing - probably one of the fastest in the MLS. He hustles and never seems to slow down... and he's got the foot that can put the sweetest touch on a ball over the keeper while sprinting at full speed. He had five goals this year in MLS that were up for Goal of the Year.

Regarding the Beckham deal? You guys realize this was because Beckham extended his loan into the MLS season, right? The spat is all over and done with now, but at the time it was hard to fault Donovan. He was the team captain and was calling out their star player for his priorities. Now I don't blame Beckham too much either as I realize he's trying to prep himself for Nat duty.... But you guys should reverse roles here and pretend it's the Toffee's we're talking about. Imagine your best player doesn't show for half the season so he can play in another league hoping to earn a cap in a year for his home country. You can understand why the player would do that, but does that make it right? It wasn't a sale of Beck's rights, it was a loan that was taken advantage of. Toffee nation would feel abused & abandoned too, I'm sure. :)

Anyway not here to flame or anything, just shed some light on issues and offer a perspective from across the pond (and a lot of land, actually).

On that note I'll bow out, but ask have you guys ever heard of Stuart Holden? He's a guy the MLS is trying hard to keep there and is probably EPL-starter quality. He's a selfless player, so he doesn't have gaudy scoring stats, but he has a tremendous foot and is very Beckham-ish on set pieces. Plus he looks like he's in a boy band; how can you possibly go wrong with that? :lol:

Oh, and I wish Altidore had a shot on your squad as well. I know he's been underperforming at Hull, but I think it's the talent around him. Give him some good mid support and a Forward partner with some consistency, and he would do worlds better, I'm sure of it. He's been much better in international play, for crissakes!

Edited by MLS is not quite EPL