IGNORED

Ryder Cup

Comprehensive battering. Zach johnson talking as if they have it sussed. Long way to go. These lot will crumble... they always do.

Need to take two and a half points minimum from the afternoon, preferably more; think traditionally we're better at fourballs than we are at foursomes so still a little bit of hope.

This is pure theatre this. Gripping.

What a comeback from Garcia/Cabrera-Bello after being four down with six to play :o!

If we can just nick the fourballs again....

Thought we were going to lose before it started; convinced of it this time yesterday but we've now got a sniff.....and momentum. Brilliant stuff.

In all seriousness I can't watch this now; I'm following it on the Beeb text coverage but my stress levels watching live are too much. Heart can't take it.

Mickleson has gone down in my estimation. No need for his antics when the two balls went into the trees... standing over the ref and asking pieters if he was playing provisional.

Questioning the players integrity. He was given a short shrift by both Europeans whereas fowler got hugs... he's a class act.

First time I watched it (mainly because they showed it live on TV here for the first time because of Pieters - best rookie ever) .. Even though we lost, I thouroughly enjoyed it .. always used to think golf was boring but this was very suspenseful.

Bit off-topic and I don't want to push the topic in a non-golf related direction, but couldn't help noticing every time they switched cameras to show a different hole, the US and EU flag flashed across the TV-screen. Makes me wonder if the Ryder cup will still exist after Brexit. Maybe it should be US vs UK in the future, I assume most of the time "team Europe" is primarily made of of British players. On the other hand, this year almost all of Europe's points were scored by the continentals....

Edited by holystove

In the singles, all Europe's points were scored by European players, including the half by Garcia. Britain's players didn't contribute a single point. It was a Ryder cup too far for Westwood and a Ryder Cup too soon for Fitzpatrick. Pieters is going to be a big name in golf in the future.

To answer Holystove's point, the Ryder Cup has nothing to do with the EU, it is run by the relevant Golf Associations.

I've followed the Willett situation quite closely as a couple of people I know are friends with him - its all been closed up till today when Willett more or less stated his brother was right.....

For me its massively disappointing that his brother felt the need to write that article before the event - was it accurate? It was absolutely spot on - doesn't make it right. The Ryder Cup for a rookie is a huge thing - by all accounts even the most steely of golfers can't feel their hands on the first tee for the first time. I was in contention for a medal at my golf club and couldn't swing the thing - imagine what its like doing that when you have TV cameras on you and a baying mob?

I think Willett in the U.S will be a target now - he's won their prestigious green jacket from the all American apple pie boy Speith and his brothers comments and willetts support of them afterwards will fuel the idiots. The only hope is that the clowns who gave so much abuse will not attend the Masters, the Open and the US PGA - they will stick to their NFL. Events like the TPC and Farmers insurance etc will be a bit more hostile.

I feel sorry for Willett - he's been put in a tough situation and really he crumbled as many would. A very good golfer who was tipped to me a few years ago as being one to look out for - hopefully he recovers and doesn't let his game suffer.

To answer Holystove's point, the Ryder Cup has nothing to do with the EU, it is run by the relevant Golf Associations.

Yes I assumed it wasn't something organised by any government or government-like organisation. I was just wondering because of all the EU related symbolism during the live broadcoast which I thought was very strange precisely because it has nothing to do with the EU. From a photo a few years back I remember the European team holding up a EU flag. It would be ridiculous to do that post-Brexit with so many British players.

Anyway, most people probably didn't even notice or if they did, didn't make anything of it.

I've followed the Willett situation quite closely as a couple of people I know are friends with him - its all been closed up till today when Willett more or less stated his brother was right.....

For me its massively disappointing that his brother felt the need to write that article before the event - was it accurate? It was absolutely spot on - doesn't make it right. The Ryder Cup for a rookie is a huge thing - by all accounts even the most steely of golfers can't feel their hands on the first tee for the first time. I was in contention for a medal at my golf club and couldn't swing the thing - imagine what its like doing that when you have TV cameras on you and a baying mob?

I think Willett in the U.S will be a target now - he's won their prestigious green jacket from the all American apple pie boy Speith and his brothers comments and willetts support of them afterwards will fuel the idiots. The only hope is that the clowns who gave so much abuse will not attend the Masters, the Open and the US PGA - they will stick to their NFL. Events like the TPC and Farmers insurance etc will be a bit more hostile.

I feel sorry for Willett - he's been put in a tough situation and really he crumbled as many would. A very good golfer who was tipped to me a few years ago as being one to look out for - hopefully he recovers and doesn't let his game suffer.

Back in the 1990's when the World Matchplay at Wentworth was sponsored by Toyota, I played in the pro-am. There were about 300 people around the first tee when we tee'd off. How I made contact with the ball is still a mystery. It was bad enough having your name announced and walking onto the tee without falling over. How these guys manage in the cauldron of the Ryder Cup is unbelievable.

Yes I assumed it wasn't something organised by any government or government-like organisation. I was just wondering because of all the EU related symbolism during the live broadcoast which I thought was very strange precisely because it has nothing to do with the EU. From a photo a few years back I remember the European team holding up a EU flag. It would be ridiculous to do that post-Brexit with so many British players.

Anyway, most people probably didn't even notice or if they did, didn't make anything of it.

When the Ryder Cup started in 1927 it was GB v USA. This was later changed to GB and Ireland. I don't think flags were part of the scene in those days. In recent years, with the number of European players increasing, I think the European flag was hi-jacked as, in some previous years, there had been a growing tendency to display national flags and for the European team this meant the confusion of several flags.

Edited by johnh

Back in the 1990's when the World Matchplay at Wentworth was sponsored by Toyota, I played in the pro-am. There were about 300 people around the first tee when we tee'd off. How I made contact with the ball is still a mystery. It was bad enough having your name announced and walking onto the tee without falling over. How these guys manage in the cauldron of the Ryder Cup is unbelievable.

I agree; was bad enough for me when some random bloke out walking his dog stopped to watch me over a shot :lol:.

Having said that, when I was playing table tennis (which I could actually play) the bigger the crowd the better I played, and I played in front of some big crowds; not thousands for sure but several hundred on occasion. Best one ever was in a tournament in Tottenham where I played the top seed who was a local lad in the semi, he'd smashed his way there without dropping a game but I destroyed him. Can't remember the exact score but (in the days when matches were played to 21 points) he did't get double figures in any of the three games. Crowd was stunned :lol:.

(I lost the final :()

hardest game in the world IMO. That's why people get hooked - 4 games in 1. Driving, iron play, Short game and putting..... need 3 out of 4 to be working to be competitive - all 4 to be any good at the level you play.

I agree Haf. I had a good iron game (carried a 1 iron) a good short game and reasonable putting. My driving was pretty ordinary and I couldn't hit a fairway wood to save my life. You need everything to be a good player. I got down to 10 but my ordinary driving stopped me getting lower.

I agree; was bad enough for me when some random bloke out walking his dog stopped to watch me over a shot :lol:.

Having said that, when I was playing table tennis (which I could actually play) the bigger the crowd the better I played, and I played in front of some big crowds; not thousands for sure but several hundred on occasion. Best one ever was in a tournament in Tottenham where I played the top seed who was a local lad in the semi, he'd smashed his way there without dropping a game but I destroyed him. Can't remember the exact score but (in the days when matches were played to 21 points) he did't get double figures in any of the three games. Crowd was stunned :lol:.

(I lost the final :()

That's impressive Mike. I played for Leeds at youth level but then didn't play during National Service. I played for a few years after demob but gave up altogether when I got married. Those were the days when 'sponge' wasn't allowed and you had to have the same 'surface rubber' on both sides of the bat. (Johnny Leach's days!)

I agree Haf. I had a good iron game (carried a 1 iron) a good short game and reasonable putting. My driving was pretty ordinary and I couldn't hit a fairway wood to save my life. You need everything to be a good player. I got down to 10 but my ordinary driving stopped me getting lower.

I can play single figure golf. I hit it far, 280-320 yards with driver. Lipped out for my first hole in 1 with a an 8 iron to a 175 yard white pin.

Unfortunately the distance I hit with an inconsistent swing means I'm playing birdie, par, bogie golf with the odd smatterings of 8, 9 and 11's.

Example.... two weeks ago I did the front 9 in 58 and back 9 in 41....

Potentially I'm close to getting to single figures. I have the distance to get on par 5's in 2, driven 2 par 4's... unfortunately I lack finesse. It may come but I need time and lessons.... great game though. I'm hooked.

Playing a 1 iron eh.... impressive. Love the Lee trevino quote..

Haf, one consolation, the short game is the easiest to practise. My very best drives were only about 240 yards, my problem was that I hit a high cut. Slight fade and mostly in the fairway but if I over-cut it I lost distance so probably two out of three drives were only about 210/220. My course had eight par 4's over 400 yards so unless I hit my best drive I couldn't get on in two. Very seldom missed a par 3 green though, the high cut was just right for the irons.

Always remember Lee Trevino in the pro-celebrity golf. One of the celebrities had a greenside bunker shot but didn't get it out. After the hole was completed Trevino threw a ball into the bunker asked the celebrity to stand on it, asked his caddie for a 1 iron and put it six inches from the pin.

Edited by johnh