IGNORED

The Food Thread

Guest millwallforever

Guest millwallforever

I am frankly sick and tired of industrialised meat: chicken tastes like plastic, turkey like rubber, and pork downright dodgy. The best meat dish I had was six months ago: stewed zebra - excellent! But you can't have zebra every day. What I have come to realise that game is in a class of its own. But even the most delicious meat can become boring in the long run. For this reason I have been exploring various vegetarian dishes.

This thread is dedicated to food: have you made anything delicious and out of the ordinary lately? Or do you plan on doing so? If so, share the recipe with us. If you have have links to videos illustrating how the dish in question is made, then enclose them.

This is what I will be making tomorrow: Borsch!

And for the rugged guys on here: THE MAN WHO EATS ROADKILL!

Edited by millwallforever

Guest millwallforever

Three vegetables not be underestimated: eggplant, beetroot, and cauliflower. You can do great things with chickpeas and lentils as well.

Checked out your link. The exotic section by far the most interesting.

Oh, and screw vegetarianism!

Three vegetables not be underestimated: eggplant, beetroot, and cauliflower. You can do great things with chickpeas and lentils as well.

Checked out your link. The exotic section by far the most interesting.

not against vegetables, just vegetarianism.

Exotic meats is how they started off. Well, well worth trying out!

Guest millwallforever

Vegetarianism is more of a luxury in the West. Meat typically costs less than most vegetables. But you get what you pay for.

not against vegetables, just vegetarianism.

Exotic meats is how they started off. Well, well worth trying out!

was a vegetarian for 6 years, i eat meat again now though. milwall i agree with you, lentils are fantastic. for tacos i treat them as meat. cook them up with mexican seasoning, and put them in the taco, then cheese, lettuce, totmato, onions, salsa,etc. tastes the same, yet way healthier. another great vegetarian protein is legumes or beans. so many different types, red beans and rice, black bean enchiladas, white navy bean pasta, garbanzo bean (chickpea) hummus. delicious.

i agree with the industrialized meat thing. my wife is still working on a master's degree in nutrition. meat quality in the states is disgusting. wild game is fantastic. had elk once and really enjoyed it. i'm hoping to get some venison from all the deer around here (tons of hunters), and look forward to my wife preparing it.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Guest millwallforever

was a vegetarian for 6 years, i eat meat again now though. milwall i agree with you, lentils are fantastic. for tacos i treat them as meat. cook them up with mexican seasoning, and put them in the taco, then cheese, lettuce, totmato, onions, salsa,etc. tastes the same, yet way healthier. another great vegetarian protein is legumes or beans. so many different types, red beans and rice, black bean enchiladas, white navy bean pasta, garbanzo bean (chickpea) hummus. delicious.

i agree with the industrialized meat thing. my wife is still working on a master's degree in nutrition. meat quality in the states is disgusting. wild game is fantastic. had elk once and really enjoyed it. i'm hoping to get some venison from all the deer around here (tons of hunters), and look forward to my wife preparing it.

Industrialised meat in the European Union probably tastes as bad as your American variety, although we have stricter regulations on what you can stuff the animals with. There is a very good book on the food industry in general that I can recommend: Seeds of Destruction by William Engdahl.

Vegetarianism is more of a luxury in the West. Meat typically costs less than most vegetables. But you get what you pay for.

Its a luxury anywhere. The fact that you can choose not to eat something is a luxury. I don't have problem with those who don't want to eat meat because of taste/texture/past experience reasons, but the preachy fuckers make me want to kill

Wife watches (because she's a bit odd) "Bizarre Food America" and she just called in to see something. The guy eats all sorts of disgusting stuff but this one tops the lot. Fishing for dogfish off Boston they catch a female, cut it open and find she has several "babies" inside her, about six inches long, so they eat them. Raw and alive.

Shocking.

Wife watches (because she's a bit odd) "Bizarre Food America" and she just called in to see something. The guy eats all sorts of disgusting stuff but this one tops the lot. Fishing for dogfish off Boston they catch a female, cut it open and find she has several "babies" inside her, about six inches long, so they eat them. Raw and alive.

Shocking.

america is like a gossip rag, they realized long ago that the nastier, dirtier, filthier, smuttier anything is, the more money they make. they should rename the country from america the beautiful to "america - who cares about class when money is on the line"

that show is disgusting.

Guest millwallforever

america is like a gossip rag, they realized long ago that the nastier, dirtier, filthier, smuttier anything is, the more money they make. they should rename the country from america the beautiful to "america - who cares about class when money is on the line"

that show is disgusting.

The earlier shows were all right. My favourite is the one where he went to Mongolia.

Having traveled to over 70 different countries, I've eaten my fair share of unusual foods - horse, hare, frog, alligator, crickets, etc. The one thing I've never been able to do, though, is eat food while it's still alive, such as "drunken shrimp" offered in Singapore. When it comes down to it, there's nothing quite like a Cornish pasty, and my wife makes the best!

I love meat!!!

Love chicken...fresh from the butchers...from local farms up here in Cumbria.

I use Musclefood for meat sometimes. They do all sorts of meats...horse, wild mouflon, Llama, Crocodile, springbok, zebra, kangaroo, ostrich, buffalo.

I'm a bit boring though as I eat 'clean' for large parts of the year for some daft gym related reason. Most things plain with brown rice!!!

Guest millwallforever

So, I made borsch for the first time today. The outcome was a happy one. I would advise people to use salt moderately; certainly not a whole tablespoon!

Having traveled to over 70 different countries, I've eaten my fair share of unusual foods - horse, hare, frog, alligator, crickets, etc. The one thing I've never been able to do, though, is eat food while it's still alive, such as "drunken shrimp" offered in Singapore. When it comes down to it, there's nothing quite like a Cornish pasty, and my wife makes the best!

Is your wife Cornish then Steve, or did you train her?

Great pasty "chain" down here in the south west that I used to love (wife still drags me in every time we're in Exeter), amazing stuff.

http://www.oggyoggyfranchise.com/

Is your wife Cornish then Steve, or did you train her?

Great pasty "chain" down here in the south west that I used to love (wife still drags me in every time we're in Exeter), amazing stuff.

http://www.oggyoggyfranchise.com/

She's actually from across the river - Plymouth. I must give her credit, though, for making wonderful pasties.

Guest millwallforever

Ukrainian, Polish, or Russian? The best I've had was in Kyiv. It's great and a pity you can't send us all samples!

I would say that borscht is a very generic dish. I put my own twist to it:

2 beetroots

5 peeled tomatoes

1 potato

1 carrot

1 lemon

3 cloves of garlic

1 onion

Salt

Lots of cayenne pepper

Coriander

Guest millwallforever

Today I made cauliflower soup; another success.

1 cauliflower

2 potatoes

5 peeled and diced tomatoes

1 cup crème fraiche (use 2 if you want your soup thicker)

1 diced onion

4 cloves (whole) of garlic

Salt

Lots of cayenne pepper

Coriander

The secret is to let everything simmer for quite some time.

I make my own soup stock after every Sunday roast with the peelings and chicken carcass. Might give that a go mate :)

I have an eighty year old Jewish mother-in-law who has passed down to my wife the secret of "Jewish Penicillen". Can't be beaten, love it.

Anything with cauliflower in it is the spawn of the devil though (unless it's raw in a salad).

I have an eighty year old Jewish mother-in-law who has passed down to my wife the secret of "Jewish Penicillen". Can't be beaten, love it.

Anything with cauliflower in it is the spawn of the devil though (unless it's raw in a salad).

Gods no... I steam it so it has a little crunch and hot. If its going into soup its blitzed, soft cauli is awful

Gods no... I steam it so it has a little crunch and hot. If its going into soup its blitzed, soft cauli is awful

Raw cauli is superb, same a broccoli and sprouts and cabbage; put any of them anywhere near a source of heat they decay instantly; I'm evangelical on this :P. The world will come to realise I'm right.

Raw cauli is superb, same a broccoli and sprouts and cabbage; put any of them anywhere near a source of heat they decay instantly; I'm evangelical on this :P. The world will come to realise I'm right.

Can't do any of them cold but if they're not warmed through just enough for them to be hot I can't do it. Tried them all raw, but no. Despise them being over cooked mind you

• 1 year later...