IGNORED

Has Martinez got it wrong?

Lowensda

Felt sorry for Barkley tonight , the crowd are on his back no matter what he does. The lads confidence is totally in shreds. If I was Roberto I would take him out of the firing line and only play him away from Goodison until he gets his form back

Agree and it's one of a few area's we need to invest this window

He's got the ability but there is far to much pressure on the lad and against a side like tonight who throw men behind the ball and crowd the area he was always likely to struggle to do or create much

Makes more sense than many stats quoted on here; pass completions rates, passes made, tackles made, distance run, average size of dick; it's all nonsense and it drives me insane that people try to prove their points by it it.

"Lies, damn lies, and statistics" is so true.

I accept (because I'm sure someone will point it out) that I use stats from time to time to make a point but I always try to use tangible ones rather than the nebulous crap spouted by organisations like Opta.

Crap spouted by organisations like Opta !

How dare you !

You've just trashed one mans life long quest :rofl:

Crap spouted by organisations like Opta !

How dare you !

You've just trashed one mans life long quest :rofl:

I know I complained about useless stats yesterday but that's unquestionably good use of them. Very revealing and impossible to argue against (though I'm sure some will try :lol:).

It's the kind of stats used in that that I hate.

Don't get selective now Blue. With stats comes a decent memory...

Edited by Hafnia

I'll put it the best way for all you Martinez haters. We can have two choices. The first is to get a manager like moyes, or even moyes to turn us back into a team that is hard to beat and regularly gets top seven finish. You may see that as a positive, the problem with this type of manager, and it's been proved, is they will always shit out on the next step and won't have enough nouse to make the next step to elite.

Martinez on the other hand wants to play a certain style that bridges a huge gap between ourselves and the mid table to lower sides. Yet, would still be more than capable of challenging any top four side regularly. Sure, it may have turned sour this season but what Martinez is trying to teach could all click into place in one season witht the right individuals.

I would take the latter any day of the week, cause the day we just except the initial, is the day the club fades into insignificance.

I really do understand where people get the hump with this guy but would I would rather back a manager with European pedigree and an intelligent football brain ahead of a substanderd, sit on the fence moyes.

Stabilisation over progression or progression over safety.

I'll put it the best way for all you Martinez haters. We can have two choices. The first is to get a manager like moyes, or even moyes to turn us back into a team that is hard to beat and regularly gets top seven finish. You may see that as a positive, the problem with this type of manager, and it's been proved, is they will always shit out on the next step and won't have enough nouse to make the next step to elite.

Martinez on the other hand wants to play a certain style that bridges a huge gap between ourselves and the mid table to lower sides. Yet, would still be more than capable of challenging any top four side regularly. Sure, it may have turned sour this season but what Martinez is trying to teach could all click into place in one season witht the right individuals.

I would take the latter any day of the week, cause the day we just except the initial, is the day the club fades into insignificance.

I really do understand where people get the hump with this guy but would I would rather back a manager with European pedigree and an intelligent football brain ahead of a substanderd, sit on the fence moyes.

well said brett i agree with you. i'm backing RM till the very end.

Yeah, nice one.

There's a culture change going on. But we'll see. Those who dislike will take a lot of convincing. Especially just now. And that's fair enough. It's something which will have to prove itself, one way or another, over time.

I do wonder how many who are calling for Martinez to go now also called for Moyes to go in his 2nd full season, where we finished 17th on 39 points. Rumours circulated that he had lost the dressing room. That senior players were struggling with the change in ethos. Moyes admitted he learnt a lot from that season about his style etc and took it all on board. The next season we finished 4th.

It's been said on here before, it can't be ignored.

Yeah, nice one.

There's a culture change going on. But we'll see. Those who dislike will take a lot of convincing. Especially just now. And that's fair enough. It's something which will have to prove itself, one way or another, over time.

I do wonder how many who are calling for Martinez to go now also called for Moyes to go in his 2nd full season, where we finished 17th on 39 points. Rumours circulated that he had lost the dressing room. That senior players were struggling with the change in ethos. Moyes admitted he learnt a lot from that season about his style etc and took it all on board. The next season we finished 4th.

It's been said on here before, it can't be ignored.

Some stats are wishy washy, I said that. Some stats are powerful. The McCarthy stats are powerful.

I like McCarthy......................some stats are wishy wasy ! says it all really.

I have no interest in the McCarthy stats because as you say, they are wishy washy at best, YOU are the one saying they are powerfull, not Opta !

As was said, " nebulas crap spouted by Opta "

Tricky one really, but have to agree with MikeO " It's all nonsence and it drives me insane that people try and prove their points by it"

I don't know where to pit this thread but answer me this....... I have been supporting everton since I was five years old. I am now 33. Are we always, and for the remainder of my years, going to be in the shadow of the team across the park?

I fear that the honest answer is yes.

Every time we look like we are getting the upper hand some fucker comes along and throws a load of money at them

I don't know where to pit this thread but answer me this....... I have been supporting everton since I was five years old. I am now 33. Are we always, and for the remainder of my years, going to be in the shadow of the team across the park?

We finished above them 2 seasons running after spending about a 1/3 of what they spent, finishd just below them last season again having way underspent on them........not much of a shadow if you ask me.It's taken a real shit season for you to ask that question.

I like McCarthy......................some stats are wishy wasy ! says it all really.

I have no interest in the McCarthy stats because as you say, they are wishy washy at best, YOU are the one saying they are powerfull, not Opta !

As was said, " nebulas crap spouted by Opta "

Tricky one really, but have to agree with MikeO " It's all nonsence and it drives me insane that people try and prove their points by it"

If you can't accept the fact that our win ratio is poor without McCarthy and that statistically we win far more points with him then I would say there is a 99,% chance that you are a bit thick...

If you can't accept the fact that our win ratio is poor without McCarthy and that statistically we win far more points with him then I would say there is a 99,% chance that you are a bit thick...

You really are quite simple aren't you...."win ratio is poor without McCarthy is poor"...there could be other reasons !WISHY WASHY!

There's a 99.9% chance that you are wrong.

You said yourself you nerd that they are .......WISHY WASHY.

Get the Opta data out again before you go to bed, don't make a mess of the sheets.

Night darling :wub:

You really are quite simple aren't you...."win ratio is poor without McCarthy is poor"...there could be other reasons !WISHY WASHY!

There's a 99.9% chance that you are wrong.

You said yourself you nerd that they are .......WISHY WASHY.

Get the Opta data out again before you go to bed, don't make a mess of the sheets.

Night darling :wub:

In the 13 games McCarthy has featured. We have won 23 points - 1.76 per game. In the 13 games he never featured we have won 9 points - 0.69 per game.

Wishy washy??? Yeah alright. Night night, get a few more hours kip. It can help cognitive function. .. unlikely for you.

He's not "proven" anywhere really though is he Brett. He's won an FA Cup but so has Joe Kinear and joe Royle he kept a sub standard premier leagueside in the league, Tony Pullis and Alan Curbishley do it often.

Reality is other than an FA Cup win (which arguably any manager can do with a bit of luck) he'sdone nothing and the more alarming factor is all the bad traits he had at Wigan, the ones everyone blamed on it being because he was managing a shit side with virtually zero resources are all appearing here in less than two seasons. .... Conceding shit loads ofgoals, terrible defending, horrendous injury list total disregard to acknowledge a defensive side to the game even though his sides all leak goals and it's glaringly obvious that they do and this has all come out of a side that yes had hit a glass ceiling but we were solid, hard to beat, organised and more importantly TOGETHER!!

Brett, the whole side looks in disaray. We look unorganised , the players look and sound like they're fed up with thebrand of football he wants them to play and seem to be taking things into their own hands in certain areas. That is not a good sign but to top it all off our football is boring. I don't understand where you get this "progression" from. Last season with arguable half Moyes ideals and half Martinez ideals we were great. 8 months down the line and Moyes is flushed out the players systems and we are in total free fall and I'm bored to tears watching us, my 7 year old is saying at games "Dad I'm bored" and he's right it's mind numbingly shite.

I see nothing but deteriotration in us. I see once happy players who wanted to fight for the cause looking miserable and uninterested, I see players that loked to be brimming with confidence looking beferft of ideas and hiding from the ball, I just don't see anything but a disheveled bunch of players looking beleaguered and lost.