IGNORED

Lacina Traore

I'm aware the injury has been discussed, I just hadn't heard of any official talk of a timeline until today. I was under the impression that the injury was minor but if RM says he'll only play in the last 9-10 games of the season, then we are talking 5 weeks out. That's a long time for a January signing.

Excited about the player, but not if he can't go til the last 9-10 games of the season. It's pointless. We need another capable striker ready to go NOW or in the next few weeks.

But this is the January window. No team is going to sell a good striker midway through the season. Either they are crap and need to go, or someone pays well over the top. A loan under these unusual circumstances is the best way to get a quality player. If we're able to bring in someone else, I will be very pleasantly surprised.

Really happy about this going through and excited to see Traore play for us once he recovers. Hopefully it will all go smoothly and he will...

That said, really would like to see us get a little more cover in, but Martinez seems set to wait for the summer to try and hammer out the big business.

Yeah, Everton TV is where I saw RM mention that Lacina will only be in the last 9-10 games. Though on re-watching it, it's a bit unclear, as he states Lacina is "weeks" away from playing, and then says he won't be "influential" or have an impact until the last 9-10 games. I'm not sure if this means he won't be playing until the last 9-10 games of the the season or he will make an appearence prior to that but it will be very minimal. Either way, it doesn't seem like he'll take part in the key match-up against the Spurs in mid-February.

He probably means that we wont expect him to make a full impact until the last 10 games of the season due to the fact he will have to adapt and get used to the team/league as well as recover from his injury, in the same way that Deulofeu didnt start making an impact until we were a few games in.

I think that bringing his pace and skill on at the end of the game could end up being really important for us, especially when we are protecting a slender lead.

I just hope he's not the last of our business this window.

me too but if we don't, I won't be upset purely because I'm trusting RM and his assumption that others will be imminently back from injury and we're waiting for the summer...

...had scotch, this might not make sense....

me too but if we don't, I won't be upset purely because I'm trusting RM and his assumption that others will be imminently back from injury and we're waiting for the summer...

...had scotch, this might not make sense....

Martinez said we'd end the window stronger than we started it, and I'm not sure that will have been achieved.

Martinez said we'd end the window stronger than we started it, and I'm not sure that will have been achieved.

Me either as it stands, I'm just hoping Bob's got something up his sleeve and all the talk of no more business being done is a smoke screen.

(He said we wouldn't be getting McGeady until the summer and he then joined a few days later.)

1 out and two in Mark, that seems stronger to me.

It's not about the numbers and that's not how Martinez meant it either. It's about who has, or hasn't, come in.

He started out the window saying we'd be looking to replace Kone and Gibson. Neither has happened and will not happen if he wasn't bullshitting saying Traore is the last of our business.

We badly needed cover for Lukaku and we've signed a player who is currently injured and then once he is fit is going have a lot of adaptation to make in a very short period of time. So his impact, if any at all, will be minimal.

The hope is that we will make another signing and that Traore will be a hit rather than a miss but, as it stands, it's a little worrying.

Heitinga has been on is way for 18 months, not sure this will happen. By my maths the squad has increased by one, you cant blame injuries for not being stronger.

Everyone has been saying Velios deserves a run, he might get a run today, and if he does he wont let them down. Trust your manager, he thinks Velios is a capable understudy until Traore is OK.

Edited by Bill

It's not about the numbers and that's not how Martinez meant it either. It's about who has, or hasn't, come in.

He started out the window saying we'd be looking to replace Kone and Gibson. Neither has happened and will not happen if he wasn't bullshitting saying Traore is the last of our business.

We badly needed cover for Lukaku and we've signed a player who is currently injured and then once he is fit is going have a lot of adaptation to make in a very short period of time. So his impact, if any at all, will be minimal.

The hope is that we will make another signing and that Traore will be a hit rather than a miss but, as it stands, it's a little worrying.

I certainly don't think we have been weakened in this window. Jelavic was playing next to know part other than a bench warmer and if that is all Traore fills then we aren't any weaker. You don't know what impact he will make to the team as he might fit straight in or he might struggle. The other players that he has signed have slotted in well so I don't see why Traore would be the odd one out. Even if we sold Heitinga now its not a loss to the team and despite the rumours still nothing has happened. McGeady has come in and whilst I have my skepticism of how it will work out he does bring an extra quality to the squad.

I'm sure Martinez was looking to replace Kone and Gibson but if the players aren't available then what do you want him to do. He has always said that he would waste his money in this window as well and I hope he doesn't. I'm not entirely sure but he gave the Kone/Gibson sound bite a while before the window opened and for all we know he may not think we need their cover any longer either through players ready to step up or the two returning from injury sooner than expected.

If we can get through these next couple of weeks and the injured players start coming back I think we will be in good shape to finish the season with a rattle.

I certainly don't think we have been weakened in this window. Jelavic was playing next to know part other than a bench warmer and if that is all Traore fills then we aren't any weaker. You don't know what impact he will make to the team as he might fit straight in or he might struggle. The other players that he has signed have slotted in well so I don't see why Traore would be the odd one out. Even if we sold Heitinga now its not a loss to the team and despite the rumours still nothing has happened. McGeady has come in and whilst I have my skepticism of how it will work out he does bring an extra quality to the squad.

I'm sure Martinez was looking to replace Kone and Gibson but if the players aren't available then what do you want him to do. He has always said that he would waste his money in this window as well and I hope he doesn't. I'm not entirely sure but he gave the Kone/Gibson sound bite a while before the window opened and for all we know he may not think we need their cover any longer either through players ready to step up or the two returning from injury sooner than expected.

If we can get through these next couple of weeks and the injured players start coming back I think we will be in good shape to finish the season with a rattle.

I didn't say I do know what impact he will make. But he's out for weeks for a start, then he's got to get to grips with a new league, new team mates, new culture. We needed someone to come in who could take the burden from Lukaku NOW. It just seems an incredibly stupid signing. But, like I said, hopefully he's a hit. I haven't even mentioned Heitinga? The McGeady signing I'm pleased about, even if it'll take him some time to adapt he will at least be available for us to use. He can make an impact, and will I think.

Kone and Gibson have been gone for months, it's not like it's just happened and he hasn't had time to prepare. So I expect him to do what he said he'd do tbh. He said they were our priorities before the window opened, and he's repeated it during the window as well.

I'll repeat; I'm not saying we're in trouble if this is it for this window, just that I'm concerned. It could be an opportunity to kick on blown in January once again.

Edited by Romey 1878

Dont know what to think about this one. Not seen enough to have an opinion really. Slightly boggled about the injury.

Trust RM to know whats right but I am getting worried about some of the names that we are linked with.

I don't expect that much from him, he wasn't really impressive at AFCON and Monaco are willing to loan him within 3 weeks of signing him without making an appearance, and have chosen to keep him despite the injury to Falcao. Although that could be down to Monaco trying to meet certain financial criteria for a UEFA license.

I'm not saying he'll be awful, I suspect he may get an average of a goal every four games.

Do you know what he'll bring? Space for our attack minded players.

His most effective work will be without the ball (a comparison I made to James McCarthy before he arrived). Crouch does the same but Stoke don't have the players to utilise their opportunities or space. Traore single handedly, will occupy both CB's of the opposition and that gives us an opportunity to stretch the full backs and hit on the overlap (Baines, Coleman).

It's a different tactic but one that can work.

A smaller CB won't go to attack the ball in the air if Traore's the target but attack the ball once it's on the floor. They're usually the quicker of the two CB's, which will allow for the likes of Barkley/Mirallas/Piennar/McGeady to exploit the bigger CB's lack of pace, thus creating a goalscoring opportunity or a new 'route' in the full back position.

On the flipside.

If Traore is man marked against the bigger of the two CB's, he leaves the smaller CB (back to goal) standing stationary, should he get a forward 'flickon'.

He'll be in the conscious mind of both CB's, creating a potential defensive blip for our attacking players to exploit.

I'll be interested to see how he gets on because i've wanted him in the prem for ages. Loved to see if he could hack it. Now I'll get the chance to.

Do you know what he'll bring? Space for our attack minded players.

His most effective work will be without the ball (a comparison I made to James McCarthy before he arrived). Crouch does the same but Stoke don't have the players to utilise their opportunities or space. Traore single handedly, will occupy both CB's of the opposition and that gives us an opportunity to stretch the full backs and hit on the overlap (Baines, Coleman).

It's a different tactic but one that can work.

A smaller CB won't go to attack the ball in the air if Traore's the target but attack the ball once it's on the floor. They're usually the quicker of the two CB's, which will allow for the likes of Barkley/Mirallas/Piennar/McGeady to exploit the bigger CB's lack of pace, thus creating a goalscoring opportunity or a new 'route' in the full back position.

On the flipside.

If Traore is man marked against the bigger of the two CB's, he leaves the smaller CB (back to goal) standing stationary, should he get a forward 'flickon'.

He'll be in the conscious mind of both CB's, creating a potential defensive blip for our attacking players to exploit.

I'll be interested to see how he gets on because i've wanted him in the prem for ages. Loved to see if he could hack it. Now I'll get the chance to.

Hi mate,

What makes you so convinced as to how he'll play? Have you watched him a lot?

I'm not entirely/so convinced that's how he'll play in England but that's an idea i had based on some of his attributes seen in Russia (which to be fair are only a handful of games - 6/7?) .

The big man/little man partnership of him and Eto'o at Anzhi was great but that wasn't to say that Traore was just a target man; he has excellent finishing ability and is a lot more 'mobile' than people think. Very useful in fact, on the counter. My view above is based on some viewings of Anzhi/Kazan games and how he 'may' be used in a more physical league.

The Russian league is very 'open', which means counters are more common than not. Martinez may use him as a hold-up player (his first touch is certainly better than Lukaku's) but he has been deemed in the past, to go to ground far too easily. Rightly or wrongly. My fear is that he'll be penalized for simulation more than awarded of fee-kicks.

If he's used on the counter, he'll be more useful. If he turns on the defenders shoulder, he'll be more effective again. I just hope we don't adopt a "Big man in the box, lets whip it in mentality" because his heading is woeful. Flick-ons, he's not too bad but his direct heading is shocking.

If we play the ball on the floor to him, he'll be a decent stand-in. Technically, Traore's a lot better than Crouch and he's known for having a decent touch for a big lad. So we'll see.

He has potential to be a very good signing. All depends on how he's used and how quickly he adapts to the pace/pressure of the league.

I didn't say I do know what impact he will make. But he's out for weeks for a start, then he's got to get to grips with a new league, new team mates, new culture. We needed someone to come in who could take the burden from Lukaku NOW. It just seems an incredibly stupid signing. But, like I said, hopefully he's a hit. I haven't even mentioned Heitinga? The McGeady signing I'm pleased about, even if it'll take him some time to adapt he will at least be available for us to use. He can make an impact, and will I think.

Kone and Gibson have been gone for months, it's not like it's just happened and he hasn't had time to prepare. So I expect him to do what he said he'd do tbh. He said they were our priorities before the window opened, and he's repeated it during the window as well.

I'll repeat; I'm not saying we're in trouble if this is it for this window, just that I'm concerned. It could be an opportunity to kick on blown in January once again.

My mistake it was Blue that mentioned Heitinga.

Most players we look at signing in this window are going to need some time for adaption unless they play in England already and I dont think there are any real targets over here, added to the fact that they would probably cost more than normal. Its not like we dont have options up front with Mirallas and Naismith so the need to replace Kone is less than before.

I still think we do need a body in midfield and hopefully someone will become available but if the targets we want arent in the market in this window then what can we do. Its not like he has promised replacements, im sure he wants bodies in as much as anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blueboy122

Sounds like the big man is almost ready and itching to get playing. RM says some good stuff about his link-up play in the final third which is what has been lacking at times this season:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-martinez-hails-hunger-lacina-6682579

If he turns out to be any good, is there a clause anywhere stating we can him at the end of the season for X amount or is it just a loan with no option to buy.