IGNORED

Aaron Lennon

are you all sure about lennon proven premier winger I herd mentioned who cannot cross a ball

never gets his head up to see whats on

I think hes playing for a move once he gets it he will revert to mr average

there is a reason at 27 why hes always been a bit part player

not for me im afraid

I don't think a player that puts in a shift like him has issues with switching off. Spurs fans love him - they didn't want him to go. Most rate him above Andros Townsend. He has a tremendous work ethic and real pace. If he had final ball quality all the time you would be looking at him in the bracket of ribery & robben. He hasn't got that but what he has got is easily worth more than £6m

I don't think a player that puts in a shift like him has issues with switching off. Spurs fans love him - they didn't want him to go. Most rate him above Andros Townsend. He has a tremendous work ethic and real pace. If he had final ball quality all the time you would be looking at him in the bracket of ribery & robben. He hasn't got that but what he has got is easily worth more than £6m

above townsend? and who rates him? that's like saying mcgeady is highly rated, rated higher than matthew kennedy.

i think for 6m he will be good, and worse case he will be a great squad player and dressing room guy. just worry we'll get burned just like we did with barry. once lennon's pace is gone that's it.

I never questioned his work rate.but being fit is the least a professional footballer should be

the spurs supporters I talk to would snap off our hand at 6 mil

being a winger and unable to cross a ball means hes a 100mtr runner.

He's a good player with bags of experience who works hard has pace can beat a man and fits in well here and still has a good few years ahead of him for £6m it's a no brainer

Yes his final ball isn't the best but then again neither is Baines Kev's and so on at times and for that kind of money who do people think we can get instead? We have no European football to offer probably a fairly low budget in the summer and at the moment people need to take their blinkers off we are not very appealing in comparison to others

The main negative a few have raised is his current work rate and will it tire once he's secured a contract it's the same risk we'd take on any player without having the opportunity to see how the player pays first hand like with Lennon

i just feel let down by this. we used to be ambitious. lukaku, deulofeu, mirallas, stones, mccarthy, these are very recent players highly rated that we have acquired.

i'd rather have chadli than lennon from spurs maybe we can get both for super kev in a swap.

Getting the right player at the right time helps achieve ambitions. I think Lennon is a player we need now, even if he's not a sexy name.

i just feel let down by this. we used to be ambitious. lukaku, deulofeu, mirallas, stones, mccarthy, these are very recent players highly rated that we have acquired.

i'd rather have chadli than lennon from spurs maybe we can get both for super kev in a swap.

Lukaku OK, Deulofeu was highly rated because of where he came from, not because any of us had seen him play. Mirallas was the top scorer in Greece (wow!). Stones was a prospect from Barnsley, nothing more and McCarthy divided opinion and came from a relegated team. I don't see how adding an established premier league player is a step back in ambition.

Lukaku OK, Deulofeu was highly rated because of where he came from, not because any of us had seen him play. Mirallas was the top scorer in Greece (wow!). Stones was a prospect from Barnsley, nothing more and McCarthy divided opinion and came from a relegated team. I don't see how adding an established premier league player is a step back in ambition.

Quite simple. Because he's a washed up player who can't get in a top 7 side. All the others mentioned are young and top prospects. Aaron Lennon as a starter = step backwards.

Quite simple. Because he's a washed up player who can't get in a top 7 side. All the others mentioned are young and top prospects. Aaron Lennon as a starter = step backwards.

McCarthy is a top prospect?

Did you really say that out loud or was it a mistake?

all young and very great prospects, we weren't the only ones in for John Stones, Davie just got him before the others. Top scorer in Greece or not he was a belgian international from the "dream team" generation and had a lot of promise, wasn't a seamus coleman diamond in the rough (and neither was stones).

I don't mean the guy disrespect mike, i like him and think he would do well here. but to me it seems like a naismith type davie moyes signing. high work rate, top lad, great defender, but is missing one key attribute that makes him a mid-grade player instead of a top prospect or something.

maybe i'm asking too much, but the wings are our weakest spots, and if mirallas does leave we need 2 top wingers to help out lukaku. we defintely need the creative tricky guy ala pienaar but younger (which lennon isn't). and if mirallas leaves we need his replacement (which lennon isn't). just not excited about this guys, feel free to disagree like so many have, but with a prize like lukaku i really feel he needs proper wingers to maximize his and the teams potential. otherwise it's like having a porcshe with crappy worn out wheels, sure it drives but it ain't the ride it's supposed to be.

Edited by markjazzbassist

No team will win anything by playing solely "young....great prospects".

You need people with experience or you have a team of headless (and leaderless) chickens. Lennon is by no means an old guy but he has top of the league and international credentials, at £6m for me it's a no-brainer.

No team will win anything by playing solely "young....great prospects".

You need people with experience or you have a team of headless (and leaderless) chickens. Lennon is by no means an old guy but he has top of the league and international credentials, at £6m for me it's a no-brainer.

Southhampton is doing fine. Last season we had a young team, Coleman, stones, McCarthy, Barkley, Gerry, mirallas, lukaku. 7 of 11. I agree mike probably won't win the league, but we don't have much a shot at that anyways.

I agree its a no brainier for 6m, will be a great buy, I just worry if he's our starter and replacement for mirallas, that's all.

While I'd like us to bring in Lennon on a permanent deal, for me I won't be happy if he's brought in as a Mirallas replacement, or an undisputed starter.

I'd like him to be 1 of 3 main wingers in the side with Mirallas (or his replacement) and a quick footed playmaker-esc wideman (Pienaar if he shows form & fitness in our remaining games, else a young replacement). That way we'll have 3 genuinely differing options to call on, with Mirallas (or replacement) the direct goal scorer, Pienaar (or replacement) the slick build up player and Lennon to provide some width and grit out wide when needed.

I think there's a mixture of two things going on here, Mirallas is being overstated and Lennon understated.

Mirallas is unreliable - excellent on his day and anonymous on others. Lennon is reliable - reliably 7 or 8 out of 10, Mirallas is 10/10 or 5/10.

Tim Sherwood:-

“Until you’re in the job as a manager, you don’t appreciate Aaron Lennon,” he said.

“What he does out of possession probably makes him the best defensive player we have got on the pitch. He is so diligent. We have seen in transition how he gets you on the edge of your seat. Aaron knows full well he wants to have more end product – maybe a different area of the field might benefit him.

“But I’m certain that when you need to rely on someone, he’s on your teamsheet. He gives 100 per cent in every game and leaves nothing on the pitch. For a small lad, his high-intensity runs, he gets back in, his desire – when you’re asking him to do all that, to then start saying ‘we want 20 goals or 15 assists’, it’s a bit much.

“There is a balance, but when you’re looking for reliability he’s on your teamsheet.”

£6m will be getting spent by small clubs on average unproven players. It really should not be up for debate, this lad is at very worst a great second 45 minute option against a strong team like Chelsea where we need discipline and 11 men working together.

Sherwood's pretty much summing him up for me. Great all round player, that in a lot of ways helps Coleman's attacking game with his defensive work rate. At the same time he's a bit basic in terms of attacking intelligence. Something that means he either needs a few dangerous attacking options around him to score, or needs to improve his attacking exploits in terms of goals or assists.

have you not cottoned on yet managers don't say anything bad about players look at RMs comments after our games

Sherwood was going to sell him so what did you expect him to say.

Sherwood wasn't going to sell him - Sherwood played him ahead of the likes of Townsend and Lamella, so I don't understand where you are coming from there. Sherwood was quite clear about how Lennon was a player he could rely on...

Are you saying that Sherwood doesn't criticise players??? He called them gutless after losing to Chelsea.....

I think that last post is fit for the vault...

Sherwood wasn't going to sell him - Sherwood played him ahead of the likes of Townsend and Lamella, so I don't understand where you are coming from there. Sherwood was quite clear about how Lennon was a player he could rely on...

Are you saying that Sherwood doesn't criticise players??? He called them gutless after losing to Chelsea.....

I think that last post is fit for the vault...

haf which goes to show how terrible of a talent evaluator sherwood is! lamela is going really well this year, even townsend is too! lennon fell off because he's the worse of the 3.

you mention how he's a worker and work rate and consistent, do you want the moyes boys back? that stuff doesn't play well with tiki taka RM, we need technicality and creativity in the final third, not someone "doing a job".