IGNORED

Aaron Lennon

The guy has played 21 times for England in 9 years and I'd bet not even half of those were as a starter. When was he last called up?

And how many times was Osman called up, yet he's been a staple of Everton for years. I don't put too much weight into how many times someone has played for England. That's more like asking who's a good ole boy and who's not.

And how many times was Osman called up, yet he's been a staple of Everton for years. I don't put too much weight into how many times someone has played for England. That's more like asking who's a good ole boy and who's not.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make.... Hafnia said he's an England international.... He's not and hasn't been for years

Ok lets get to the crux of it - what are we looking to create? The LA Lakers or The Harlem Globetrotters? A team that needs to get results or just looks good for the sake of looking good.

We are in the business of trying to win games (score more and concede less). On the balance of things Lennon gives us more than Mirallas - no he isn't as skilful, he is more pacey, not as technically gifted but he gives us 5 x more than Mirallas when the opposition has the ball and whether you like it or not that is usually the case for 40 minutes of a game at least.

Too much is made of Lennons end product - the reality is that due to his workrate he is on the ball more than Mirallas - he can be 50/50 in end producas far as i'm concerned because of the amount of time he gets on the ball. Lennon may put in 10 good balls out of 20, Mirallas may put in 8 out of 10.

here's something that is interesting (as at Jan 22 2015):-

Spurs pass completion: Lennon 85%, Eriksen, Chadli 84%, Lamela 82%, Townsend 79%

Key passes by minutes of playing time: Eriksen every 36.3, Lennon 41.0, Lamela 51.5, Chadli 66.8, Townsend 76.8 minutes per key pass.

Spurs chances created: Eriksen 51, Lamela 30, Chadli 26, Lennon 9, Townsend 6

Chance created by minutes of playing time: Lennon every 31.89, Eriksen 35.59, Lamela 44.6, Chadli 53.95, Townsend 64 minutes per chance created.

Assists by minutes of playing time: Lennon every 143.5, Chadli 280.6, Lamela 334.5, Townsend 384.0, Eriksen 1,815.0 minutes per assist.

Major actions (goal, assist, key pass) by minutes of playing time: Eriksen every 30.76, Lennon 31.89, Chadli 42.52, Lamela 43.16, Townsend 54.86 minutes per major action.

The stats tell us Aaron Lennon creates twice as many chances as Andros Townsend and is one of our most creative attacking midfield player on a per minute basis, yet the little winger can't get a look-in.

I'm not obsessed with Lennon, i'm bemused by the apathy towards a player who has made a huge difference to our team.

Have you stolen my approach to defending a certain player here? :P

Have you stolen my approach to defending a certain player here? :P

No - I know what you are getting at - my point is value for money and contribution to the "team". Whether you like it or not the overriding issue that has been the case at Everton is £££, its the reason why we missed out on Kings dock, is the reason why we never got to sign some really key players and the reason why we have had to sell very good ones.

£6m for a player who helps us tick as a unit, looks after the ball, and wins it back is absolute peanuts. The irony is that my criticism of Lukaku is that as a team player and someone who should bring others into the game and look after the ball he needs to improve a lot. I have not criticised him as a goalscorer - my concern is contribution to the team and linking up.

No - I know what you are getting at - my point is value for money and contribution to the "team". Whether you like it or not the overriding issue that has been the case at Everton is £££, its the reason why we missed out on Kings dock, is the reason why we never got to sign some really key players and the reason why we have had to sell very good ones.

£6m for a player who helps us tick as a unit, looks after the ball, and wins it back is absolute peanuts. The irony is that my criticism of Lukaku is that as a team player and someone who should bring others into the game and look after the ball he needs to improve a lot. I have not criticised him as a goalscorer - my concern is contribution to the team and linking up.

I completely agree with your argument for Lennon, mostly because its laid out and explained almost identically to my method of defending Rom, which you never seem to accept.

Just makes me laugh :)

I completely agree with your argument for Lennon, mostly because its laid out and explained almost identically to my method of defending Rom, which you never seem to accept.

Just makes me laugh :)

You have clearly identified my issue with Rom - if he cost £10m I would not have so much of an issue. I have never skirted around that.

Is it is his fault we paid that much? No.

Is it an issue - with me it clearly is!

I'd credit this lad with more or less single handedly getting us out of the shit.

Credit to his profession, awesome loan signing. Make it permanent. He sets an example.

I can understand why he was made spurs captain on occasions.

Completely agree, I'd sign him in a heartbeat. I was skeptical about his injury record, and that he can come across as a headless chicken at times, but his workrate and threat is fantastic to watch.

His poor crossing ability hasn't really been a factor because he's not really staying out wide and getting to the by line, so I haven't been frustrated with him as I expected to be. His best work (attacking-wise) has been through the middle. Those runs at the heart of the Burnley defence were brilliant, exciting. I was on the edge of my seat every time he got the ball (no idea why this was non-existent in the second half). And because they were so worried about him cutting inside and running at them it left Coleman with a lot of space to exploit. He's been a great foil for Seamus.

What deficiencies he does have he's making up for them in other areas. A tick in Roberto's signings book for sure.

Edited by Romey 1878

Tottenham aren't soft. He was loaned as a make weight for Mirallas. I won't be happy if he goes to WHL. However I'd be happy if we had both come next season

I'll show my arse n the front row of the Paddock first home game next season with MC11 you were right and I'm a complete twat so please kick fuck out of me written on each cheek if he's lining up in a Tottenham shirt that day.

I'll show my arse n the front row of the Paddock first home game next season with MC11 you were right and I'm a complete twat so please kick fuck out of me written on each cheek if he's lining up in a Tottenham shirt that day.

I'll be there to give you a good kick in mate. Peace out.

• 2 weeks later...

Mirallas wont go to Spurs, it's a sideways step he want cl footy.

He left virtually guaranteed CL football to join us, he'd just played in one and Olympiakos had qualified for the group stages the following season as well, so I don't think that's his only motivation. He's certainly not going to be snapped up by any club with great ambitions of winning the thing so if he's waiting for that to happen it'll be a long wait.

He left virtually guaranteed CL football to join us, he'd just played in one and Olympiakos had qualified for the group stages the following season as well, so I don't think that's his only motivation. He's certainly not going to be snapped up by any club with great ambitions of winning the thing so if he's waiting for that to happen it'll be a long wait.

Yeah, but leaving to join a much more competitive, and richer, league. He doesn't have that draw this time so agree a move to Spurs will be a side step (with more money)