IGNORED

Relegation Battle!

jrossiter

Ai. Fair do. Although that makes a lot of teams involved in a relegation scrap.

If we are down there, 3 or even only 6 points clear at around game 30...then I will definitely start looking more closely and paying attention to who might climb above us etc. I mean, that stuff is going on today and we ain't even kicked a ball!!!

If we are only 3 points clear of the drop zone with 8 games to go then I think it would be a little late to realise we had a fight on our hands

If we are only 3 points clear of the drop zone with 8 games to go then I think it would be a little late to realise we had a fight on our hands

3 points clear with 24 points up for grabs? It's perfectly visible to only look at it then. It's much more visible to look at it then than it is when there's 51 points up for grabs. Again, different people different perspective.

How many points do you guys think we need to be safe? By the way, the old 40 point rule is nonsense. I looked before, in the last 12 years only 1 team has finished in 17th with 40 points or more. The other seasons it was all less than 40 points.

3 points clear with 24 points up for grabs? It's perfectly visible to only look at it then. It's much more visible to look at it then than it is when there's 51 points up for grabs. Again, different people different perspective.

How many points do you guys think we need to be safe? By the way, the old 40 point rule is nonsense. I looked before, in the last 12 years only 1 team has finished in 17th with 40 points or more. The other seasons it was all less than 40 points.

Not really, forty points is seen as the target because you'll almost certainly be safe, normally you'll be OK with a few points less (we were 17th with thirty-nine in 03/04). West Ham went down with forty-two in 02/03 but that was because the bottom two (West Brom & Sunderland) were so far adrift. Bolton went down on forty points in 97/98 (with us ahead of them on goal difference).

I'd have thought this year as it's so tight 37/38 points will be the cliff edge because it's so tight down there.

But the forty point "rule" is spot on in that most years it'll be enough to be safe; this year it definitely will be.

Lol well it would be very difficult to look at it if it was invisible I suppose

This attitude firmly entrenches you in the "not particularly arsed about Everton" catergory.

Sorry Newty, not trying to pick a fight here but if you are that blasé about us flirting on the edge like that you're either stupid or not really that arsed and I know you aren't stupid.

Lets say hypotheticaly we are in that situation with 8 games.. 24 points to play for. You say it like it's our god given right to win 6 or 7 of those games . Well news flash mate, we would be in that position through playing shite. Just because we have a good squad doesn't mean we'll just click because we need the points. We've struggled for points all season. If we continue struggling like we are and in are in that position (which is perfectly feasable) with 8 games to go we really truely could go.

You say it's doom and gloom, I say it's fans genuinally worried because we've been there and seen it before and we're not either not arsed enough or arrogant or dare I say stupid enough to think we can't/wont.

This attitude firmly entrenches you in the "not particularly arsed about Everton" catergory.

Sorry Newty, not trying to pick a fight here but if you are that blasé about us flirting on the edge like that you're either stupid or not really that arsed and I know you aren't stupid.

Lets say hypotheticaly we are in that situation with 8 games.. 24 points to play for. You say it like it's our god given right to win 6 or 7 of those games . Well news flash mate, we would be in that position through playing shite. Just because we have a good squad doesn't mean we'll just click because we need the points. We've struggled for points all season. If we continue struggling like we are and in are in that position (which is perfectly feasable) with 8 games to go we really truely could go.

You say it's doom and gloom, I say it's fans genuinally worried because we've been there and seen it before and we're not either not arsed enough or arrogant or dare I say stupid enough to think we can't/wont.

If we're three points clear with eight games left we'll likely have to win a couple of those rather than six or seven.

I don't think he's being blasé personally, just asking a question of those that are more concerned than he is. None of us are happy with where we are, some are worried it'll continue and others (myself included) are confident we'll pull out of it. I don't think you can judge how much someone cares by how worried they are about relegation, it's all about personal opinion.

Edit: I should have said "how likely they think we are to be relegated" instead of the bit in bold. Bad phrasing, relegation would worry all of us if it became a reality.

Not really, forty points is seen as the target because you'll almost certainly be safe, normally you'll be OK with a few points less (we were 17th with thirty-nine in 03/04). West Ham went down with forty-two in 02/03 but that was because the bottom two (West Brom & Sunderland) were so far adrift. Bolton went down on forty points in 97/98 (with us ahead of them on goal difference).

I'd have thought this year as it's so tight 37/38 points will be the cliff edge because it's so tight down there.

But the forty point "rule" is spot on in that most years it'll be enough to be safe; this year it definitely will be.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I suppose looking at it as you have, get that 40 points and 'statisically' you'll be safe. Fair enough.

I know your not trying to pick a fight, neither am I. I signed off for a few weeks because I felt I was taking it too seriously and frustrating myself. Ha ha...its a forum...daft.

It's not because I'm stupid. It's not because I don't care. It's not because I think we have a 'gods given right' to win any games. It's not because I think 'we are to good'.

It IS because I believe, and have said all along, that we will have a much better 2nd half of the season. That's what I believe.

Now, it's a fact, that for every fan who believes we are in a relegation fight, there's another who believes we aren't. Look at this forum for example. So all those who believe we aren't are just plain stupid or don't care? Or as you put "not particularly arsed about Everton"?! C'mon man, that can't be right.

It's true I don't hold a season ticket, it's true that I don't shed a tear at Z Cars. But it's also true that I have never supported any other club, that my family is Everton and I was born into it and that I have a 3 year old boy who has been bought the full kit every year he has been born (well, when a full kit has been available for a toddler!) as I try to make sure the future is secure for the club with another fan! Haha! Sorry, I don't mean to waffle there!

I'm just not a panicking type. But I will be if we are there at game 30...I really will be!!!

If we're three points clear with eight games left we'll likely have to win a couple of those rather than six or seven.

I don't think he's being blasé personally, just asking a question of those that are more concerned than he is. None of us are happy with where we are, some are worried it'll continue and others (myself included) are confident we'll pull out of it. I don't think you can judge how much someone cares by how worried they are about relegation, it's all about personal opinion.

Edit: I should have said "how likely they think we are to be relegated" instead of the bit in bold. Bad phrasing, relegation would worry all of us if it became a reality.

You said it much better than me in a lot less words!

There seems to be less emotion to those who don't attend. Sort of a hobby.

You need to sit next to my son watching a game on a shitty stream when we go behind (or ahead) if you want to see emotion.

"Hobby" is an insult, pure and simple; but you're not so stupid that you don't realise that. Just on the wind-up again

Different people show emotion in different ways. And get emotional over different things. Emotion isn't always negative.

A hobby? Not sure. Depends what you see as a hobby. For me, a hobby is something you do in your spare time, something you enjoy. I go the gym a few times a week, read this forum, watch Everton when I can and any football, watch films, play PS4, have a good bonk etc. Things you enjoy doing away from 'real life'...work, cleaning, the wife (!!!) etc. Is going to Goodison Park every other week not therefore a hobby of sorts? I see Mike didn't take kindly to that tag, I see it a bit differently.

I can believe that if you attend GP every other week, you may feel 'more attached'.

I'm just looking in general. Me, Paddock, Duncan all have ST's. Even Romey gets frustrated at times. I don't see it from those who don't go. Maybe you're all just happy go lucky!

We all get frustrated. But don't confuse frustration with believing we are in a relegation fight!!!

I can definitely believe it's more frustrating if you are there every other week. No doubt. That's understandable.

Think that's very unfair on other posters here who aren't season ticket holders like myself. Supporting Everton is certainly not a hobby to me. I revolve my weekend/midweek around Everton fixtures. If we lose it does spoil my weekend and put me in a foul mood. I watch every game online but I try and go when I can. I live in Cardiff but originally from North Wales so when I go home I try and go to Goodison. Went Stoke game boxing day (terrible game) and managed to go to Swansea capital one cup (even worse) and I'm going to Bern in the Europa next month which should be good. However, after the Stoke and Swansea games maybe it is best if I stay away so apologies in advance if we lose again. Do I think we'll go down? No I don't think so. Must admit seeing the table on MOTD just now got me slightly worried that Hull are only 3 points behind us and sitting currently in a relegation spot. Huge game on Monday against what will be a very organised and hard working West Brom under Pulis. He managed to do us over last season with Palace and that's made me slightly more nervous.

For the record I don't think we will go down but that does not mean we are not in the midst of a relegation battle

We have been shite for the first 21 games of the season and have been dumped out of both cups at the first hurdle, that is the sign of a poor side

5 of the next 6 fixtures look pretty tricky and I can't see us getting too much out of them

That would leave just 11 games to save ourselves

The last 3 games have given me hope that we are starting to turn the corner but Monday night is simply a must win game

If we are still in this predicament with 8 games to go then I think there is every chance we will go down

We need to turn it around now , starting with West Btom

Guest rusty747

Totally agree.

there is only one time to get 40 points and that is as soon as possible. If we are sub 40 points and bottom 5 with 5 to play I would be very worried.Three of our next 6 games are v Liverpool (h), Chelsea (a) and Arsenal (a) and the other three are the must win v WBA (h) with the Pullis factor kicking in, Palace (a) with the Pardew factor kicking in and Leicester (h). All of those games are tricky as they are either against teams playing for Europe/title or teams scrapping for their lives who have just discovered some form and belief. If we don't get our heads right we could end up not winning any of them and losing most.

Edited by rusty747

Choosing to watch the game after a 9 hour day, coming home and spending time with my son then watching the game is not a hobby. Its a passion.

I've been a season ticket holder and a TV watcher. My passion is the same.

We won't go down. We will finish 12th

Edited by Hafnia