IGNORED

Relegation Battle!

jrossiter

Just read this from David Brailsford (google him if you don't know who I'm talking about) which I think is quite apposite...

"Sport and success is a journey. There's no end point,"

"That journey involves failure sometimes. It's how you deal with it that's important."

"Some adversity every now and then is a great thing - it separates the winners from the also-rans. I would like to think we're in the winners' category."

Not for a minute suggesting people who are worried are in the wrong, just liked the quote.

Just read this from David Brailsford (google him if you don't know who I'm talking about) which I think is quite apposite...

"Sport and success is a journey. There's no end point,"

"That journey involves failure sometimes. It's how you deal with it that's important."

"Some adversity every now and then is a great thing - it separates the winners from the also-rans. I would like to think we're in the winners' category."

Not for a minute suggesting people who are worried are in the wrong, just liked the quote.

I agree, at best Martinez is going through a defining period.

For the record I don't think we will go down but that does not mean we are not in the midst of a relegation battle

We have been shite for the first 21 games of the season and have been dumped out of both cups at the first hurdle, that is the sign of a poor side

5 of the next 6 fixtures look pretty tricky and I can't see us getting too much out of them

That would leave just 11 games to save ourselves

The last 3 games have given me hope that we are starting to turn the corner but Monday night is simply a must win game

If we are still in this predicament with 8 games to go then I think there is every chance we will go down

We need to turn it around now , starting with West Btom

You chose only negative examples. What about a team ranked third in its Europa group that finished top? Is that the sign of a poor side? How many people here, earlier in the season, stated that they'd take 17th if it meant we won the Europa league? Is that all forgotten?

It's nonsense to be talking about relegation battle with half the games played. To suggest that we have tough games ahead is also pointless: We have played each team once and we have to play them all again. Worry when the season is 80% over and we're in the bottom three. Until then, it's mid-season, with the final stages of the Europa to come.

You chose only negative examples. What about a team ranked third in its Europa group that finished top? Is that the sign of a poor side? How many people here, earlier in the season, stated that they'd take 17th if it meant we won the Europa league? Is that all forgotten?

It's nonsense to be talking about relegation battle with half the games played. To suggest that we have tough games ahead is also pointless: We have played each team once and we have to play them all again. Worry when the season is 80% over and we're in the bottom three. Until then, it's mid-season, with the final stages of the Europa to come.

I couldn't give a toss whether or not other people think 17th is acceptable because personally I don't

If you don't think we need to worry until the last 8 games then fine that's up to you but don't tell me it's nonsense for me to be worried

If we had been playing well and just not getting the results or you could justifiably say we were in a false position I could understand where you were coming from. But the fact of the matter is that we have been awful all season and we deserve to be where we are

After that shite tonight, thank God we don't have to worry about how poor we are until April

But.. But we still have Europa!!

Just what we need, a manager who is obsessed with winning a trophy we wont even get close to so takes his apples from the league and puts them in this basket.

Dunc, we're in a very teal danger of going down mate I'm really really worried that this is a rot that's not going to stop.

I honestly think we're in for it.

Just what we need, a manager who is obsessed with winning a trophy we wont even get close to so takes his apples from the league and puts them in this basket.

Dunc, we're in a very teal danger of going down mate I'm really really worried that this is a rot that's not going to stop.

5 wins from 23 is discusting. He needs the sack.

No sorry you are most definitely wrong. I am reliably informed that it doesn't matter until April

I do not think we will go down. However Roberto needs to wise up a touch, I feel the players think he is a soft touch (Roy Evans) springs to mind.

I have always been dismissive of Kenwright but the cash has been splashed to an extent and we are going backwards. Jags is not captain material and it is hard to see one who is.

Howard perhaps? it just seems a very soft underbelly with a lack of spirit. Oh for an Andy Gray.

Jags is not captain material and it is hard to see one who is.

Have always thought this and TBH it doesn't feel like he is, always feels more like Barry is to me and even then there just seems to be no real leadership on the pitch.

Edited by Chach

• 2 weeks later...

Even after yesterday's 3 points, it's probably still as sensible to fear relegation as to hope for a top 6-7 finish. So while looking forward to doing well in Europe, we'll also stress over league points squandered.

My own stress relief, such as it is, comes from the conviction that 39 points will see us through. Specifically, I do not believe that all of the current bottom four -- Leicester, QPR, Hull, Burnley -- will reach 39. Maybe one of them will get to 39, but not two.

Leicester on short rest after travel to Young Boys will be crucial.

Surely we can nick 13 points from 15 matches.