IGNORED

Windows 10

MikeO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022

What are people feeling about this? Probably hard to judge before it goes live I know but sounds quite interesting. Amazed that the take-up rate for 8 was only about 10% (I'm still with 7 personally) but the fact that the "upgrade" will be free for a year might increase interest,

Josh's laptop has 8 and I hate it.

Wait and see I guess, The "voice interface" I can do without, have it on my phone but feel a twat using it, even if I'm on my own.

Imagine the arguments on here if they were coming through at full speed unedited, Can't count the number of times I've typed something extremely derogatory and then thought better of it. Would hot things up big time I think.

I'm Windows Vista at home, Windows xp at work and for me xp is where they should have left it.

The very fact that our company has kept xp speaks volumes.

Liked XP (thought that was no longer "supported" but presumably a decent IT team can deal with that). Josh had a Vista PC, or maybe a laptop, for a while and I wasn't over keen on it. Very happy with 7, been a few years now but I liked it from the start.

Errr... What happened to 9?

Binned it. Or they have a numerically dyslexic marketing department.

(Reminds me, when Josh started to count he completely refused to include "seven". Spoke perfectly but 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10 every time; didn't matter how many times you told him he always forgot, went on for months.....maybe someone at Microsoft has a similar blind spot for "nine" but never got over it?)

I have Windows 8.1 (it's Windows 8 with the 'start' button returned). There are some things I really like and others that I hate. For example If I type in C:\users\louis into the search bar, on older versions of windows it would open up the folder in windows explorer, on Windows 8 it searches for the term "C:\users\louis", other times it'll open the folder as intended. It's frustrating. In fact, I don't really like the "Metro" user interface at all. I very rarely use it.

They skipped Windows 9 because of lazy programmers, back in the 90s there was windows 95 and 98 and programmers would use a wildcard search to find what Windows version a program was using, they'd refer to "Win9*". It's feared that a lot of programmes won't work properly in Windows 9 if they use that code. It seems odd to me too.

This thread may as well be written in a rare lost form of outer Mongolian back slang to me.

Not a fucking clue. We have 3 ipads, a toshiba laptop (which is still broken) I've just bought my oldest a hp gaming laptop for his birthday last week and 2 iphones.

They all connect to the internet which is good enough for me.

• 6 months later...

Anyone using it yet? Put it on the laptop but think it's too old to cope with it properly. Looks slick, but can't see any real advantage over win7 so far

Not me.

Still using 8.1 on the new laptop and quite honestly I don't mind it, though I'll probably upgrade at some point. Still reading about bugs in 10 so I'll leave it until they're all sorted I think. My old Windows 7 Acer I think I'm going to restore to factory settings and keep it as it is, hopefully that'll sort out the ridiculously high CPU usage that was making it so troublesome; it's not long had a new screen and keyboard so could still be a decent machine. Just need a new battery for it.

Josh has a 7 desktop and an 8.1 laptop and he's not planning on changing either, certainly not yet anyway.

Wife has an abacus which I keep explaining to her will have compatibility issues.

• 1 month later...

Decided to bite the bullet today as I'd had a play with my brother's laptop which he's gone with it on.

First time I got to 3% before it failed, second attempt it got to 97% before it died again (hours later). Currently up to 21%, I'll leave it running overnight and see how it looks in the morning.

My old lap-top (windows vista) I have been using for the last two or three weeks as my new lap-top (windows 8.1) went kaput. I had to 'reset' my new lap-top due to software problems (which I think were caused by 8.1 which I hate). At the last 'reset' it went into a loop which I couldn't sort. My brilliant son-in-law sorted it and also downloaded windows 10 for me. I only got it yesterday but it seems fine up to now. Had a bit of a problem with Sky Go as microsoft edge doesn't support Silverlight and had to download Firefox to get in. The 'swipe' facility with 8.1 seems to have disappeared but I didn't use it anyway. If I experience any problems I will post on here but I don't use many facilities other than websearch, email, Sky go.

• 2 weeks later...