IGNORED

John Ebbrell

Top bloke full stop. Live near him, he played in the same youth team as my cousin and he was mustard - was the first to go to Lilleshall, I know a few of his family pretty well.

Every time I bump into him he stops for a chat, never a bad word to say about anyone. I knew the Tranmere role would be a good break for him, he had a bit of bad look with ventures after retiring.

Against Feyenoord he thought he was Maradona and tried to dribble* near our penalty area and lost the ball. Feyenoord duly scored the goal that settled the tie.

http://toffeeweb.com/season/95-96/reports/feyen_away.html

* My recollection is a bit hazy by now.

Better than mine though!

Think reading the third "report" on that page it's a bit harsh to put the whole defeat down to him to be fair. Sounds like nothing went for us at all.

He went to the same school as I did. I was concerned about joining because they didn't have a football team and only played rugby union and cricket in the summer. I, aged 10/11 (before I joined the school anyway) asked the deputy head about why they didn't have a football team and he said they didn't need one and it didn't stop players joining football clubs. He cited John Ebbrell as an example and another guy called Connelly who had played for, or trialled with England at youth level.

A few on that Toffeeweb page calling for Tony Grant to be appointed. I saw him recently in a Blackburn training kit, once in Morrisons and the other time in a chippy. :D

He went to the same school as I did. I was concerned about joining because they didn't have a football team and only played rugby union and cricket in the summer. I, aged 10/11 (before I joined the school anyway) asked the deputy head about why they didn't have a football team and he said they didn't need one and it didn't stop players joining football clubs. He cited John Ebbrell as an example and another guy called Connelly who had played for, or trialled with England at youth level.

A few on that Toffeeweb page calling for Tony Grant to be appointed. I saw him recently in a Blackburn training kit, once in Morrisons and the other time in a chippy. :D

Ah you're a Wirral Grammar boy eh, big rugby school, a friend of ours, his son is at Sale Sharks youth and plays for North of England - he's 14, 6ft 4in and weighs about 13st. He never touched a rugby ball till he went to Wirral Grammar - the set up is very good.

Ebbrell did well to be a pro footballer baseed on the fact that they never played footy at all I believe in Wirral.

• 1 year later...

I love John Ebbrell. Not the best player ever but loved the club and bust a gut for us. Plus he's a bloody nice bloke.

True, always remembered his tackle against that detestable Steve McMahon, broke his leg, which you never want to see. Great tackle tho.

Edited by London Blue

• 2 weeks later...