IGNORED

Joe Bryan

more left backs? no thanks.

Well, if we lose Garbutt, then all we have is Baines (who is getting up there and probably won't be one of those players who sticks with the game until he's 40) and Oviedo (who can't seem to catch a break with his injuries and isn't exactly the most solid LB defensively). We need an insurance policy if Baines gets injured or needs to be rotated out. We also will need a young left back for competition's sake.

In a perfect world, we would keep Garbutt and start rotating him with Baines more often next season, thus allowing Baines to extend his career a bit and providing healthy competition for a spot in the side.

Well, if we lose Garbutt, then all we have is Baines (who is getting up there and probably won't be one of those players who sticks with the game until he's 40) and Oviedo (who can't seem to catch a break with his injuries and isn't exactly the most solid LB defensively). We need an insurance policy if Baines gets injured or needs to be rotated out. We also will need a young left back for competition's sake.

In a perfect world, we would keep Garbutt and start rotating him with Baines more often next season, thus allowing Baines to extend his career a bit and providing healthy competition for a spot in the side.

joe i'm not sure what team you follow, but this is everton. we don't stockpile players like chelsea. we have the bare minimums to compete first team and have a ramshackle u21 side. you want to stockpile young CB's, now have a bunch of LB's, come on man, is bill gonna suddenly give us 50m transfer budget and up the wages budget?

joe i'm not sure what team you follow, but this is everton. we don't stockpile players like chelsea. we have the bare minimums to compete first team and have a ramshackle u21 side. you want to stockpile young CB's, now have a bunch of LB's, come on man, is bill gonna suddenly give us 50m transfer budget and up the wages budget?

Honestly don't understand that argument at all. Joe is spot on; if Garbutt goes we need another promising, long term replacement for Baines. Oviedo is injured to frequently to be relied on to that. Makes perfect sense this potential transfer, unless we get Garbutt to stay

Honestly don't understand that argument at all. Joe is spot on; if Garbutt goes we need another promising, long term replacement for Baines. Oviedo is injured to frequently to be relied on to that. Makes perfect sense this potential transfer, unless we get Garbutt to stay

yes matt just like the young understudy we have at Right back, oh wait... and the young understudy we have at striker, oh wait..., and wingers we have matty kennedy, oh wait he's gone...

none of those players we have proper young prospects for, what makes LB such a priority? we have oviedo on contract, baines is always in great health and barry can sub over there worst case till oviedo is back if garbutt leaves.

we need proper first team players before we talk about the young understudy for a position we already have fully manned. again this is everton not real madrid.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Thank you, Matthew.

Mark, I'm not saying we should be buying £20m LBs to compete with Baines. But we need young players in and around the squad capable of chipping in and taking over his role should he get injured or eventually decide to hang up his boots. Ideally, this player (whether it is Garbutt, Bryan or some other young and promising LB) would also come to create competition for Baines enough that we could rotate them. This would, in theory, force each of them to raise their games and benefit the team as a whole.

Right now, should Garbutt leave, we don't have a reliable 2nd option at LB. Oviedo can do a job when he's healthy. But, he hasn't been healthy for over a year now. Who knows if he will get out of this cycle of injuries.

Thank you, Matthew.

Mark, I'm not saying we should be buying £20m LBs to compete with Baines. But we need young players in and around the squad capable of chipping in and taking over his role should he get injured or eventually decide to hang up his boots. Ideally, this player (whether it is Garbutt, Bryan or some other young and promising LB) would also come to create competition for Baines enough that we could rotate them. This would, in theory, force each of them to raise their games and benefit the team as a whole.

Right now, should Garbutt leave, we don't have a reliable 2nd option at LB. Oviedo can do a job when he's healthy. But, he hasn't been healthy for over a year now. Who knows if he will get out of this cycle of injuries.

joe who would play right back should seamus get injured and hibberts been injured all year we don't have cover there do we? who was playing on the wing with ossie, pienarr, mirallas, mcgeady all out? (hint hint central midfielders) who was playing center back when alcaraz and distin were injured and jags got injured? (hint hint central midfielder barry)

your argument is full of holes just like our squad. we have WAY more important signings (2 wingers should mirallas leave) than a backup LB. we need starters for first team positions before we should look at u-21's and the like.

Edited by markjazzbassist

yes matt just like the young understudy we have at Right back, oh wait... and the young understudy we have at striker, oh wait..., and wingers we have matty kennedy, oh wait he's gone...

none of those players we have proper young prospects for, what makes LB such a priority? we have oviedo on contract, baines is always in great health and barry can sub over there worst case till oviedo is back if garbutt leaves.

we need proper first team players before we talk about the young understudy for a position we already have fully manned. again this is everton not real madrid.

Right back = Browning, Gethin Jones. Striker = Long, Henen, McCleany. Midfield = Green, Donohue, Ledson, Grant....

LB we have - Baines (30) and Oviedo (constantly injured). After that we have... No one. The whole argument from Joe and myself is IF Garbutt leaves.

The thought of Barry at LB is terrifying if we come up against anyone with fast wingers or attacking full backs or quick strikers or clever creative passers....

I really don't understand your argument. You want us to bleed in the kids, but when we don't have them, not buy youth in to play? We're not talking about the likes of City, Chelsea and Madrid who buy proven, top class youngsters and make a bit of cash on them. That stockpiling. We're talking about bringing in a young lad with potential from Bristol City, probably for buttons.

joe who would play right back should seamus get injured and hibberts been injured all year we don't have cover there do we? who was playing on the wing with ossie, pienarr, mirallas, mcgeady all out (hint hint central midfielders)? who was playing center back when alcaraz and distin were injured and jags got injured (barry)?

your argument is full of holes just like our squad. we have WAY more important signings (2 wingers should mirallas leave) than a backup LB. we need starters for first team positions before we should look at u-21's and the like.

You're defeating your own argument here. Just because we need back-up elsewhere doesn't make LB any less important!

Edited by Matt

You're defeating your own argument here. Just because we need back-up elsewhere doesn't make LB any less important!

matt read what i said, i didn't say we need backups, I SAID WE NEED STARTERS!!! you want a 4th left back and we don't have a proper winger on the first team other than mirallas. We don't have a proper goalkeeper on the roster that RM is willing to give a shot (not hating on robles, RM won't start him for some reason, howard needs to go though).

matt read what i said, i didn't say we need backups, I SAID WE NEED STARTERS!!! you want a 4th left back and we don't have a proper winger on the first team other than mirallas. We don't have a proper goalkeeper on the roster that RM is willing to give a shot (not hating on robles, RM won't start him for some reason, howard needs to go though).

Read what we've said, I'll put it in caps if that helps: IF GARBUTT LEAVES, WE'VE NO RELIABLE BACKUP.

I've not said that you want back ups. Of course we need starters. We need plenty of other positions filling. The lad from Bristol has apparently got potential, so if he's available at a reasonable price. LB, with Baines, has brought us the most chances season after season, so why shouldn't we be looking to reinforce that area first?

4th LB?! IF Garbutt goes, Oviedo cannot be relied on. If he can, then we've got a backup for LW also. Barry is not an option for LB. That leaves Baines and... No one. You're basing 4 LB on a young lad whos refusing to sign a contract, a player who keeps breaking, and Barry.

I'll ask again, why should we not look at a future attacking LB, if Garbutt leaves, over any other position? Especially when Bryan is likely to be relatively cheap.

Edited by Matt

Read what we've said, I'll put it in caps if that helps: IF GARBUTT LEAVES, WE'VE NO RELIABLE BACKUP.

I've not said that you want back ups. Of course we need starters. We need plenty of other positions filling. The lad from Bristol has apparently got potential, so if he's available at a reasonable price. LB, with Baines, has brought us the most chances season after season, so why shouldn't we be looking to reinforce that area first?

4th LB?! IF Garbutt goes, Oviedo cannot be relied on. If he can, then we've got a backup for LW also. Barry is not an option for LB. That leaves Baines and... No one. You're basing 4 LB on a young lad whos refusing to sign a contract, a player who keeps breaking, and Barry.

I'll ask again, why should we not look at a future attacking LB, if Garbutt leaves, over any other position? Especially when Bryan is likely to be relatively cheap.

oviedo can't be relied on but we rely on gibson don't we? becuase we are a club on a small wage scale. just how it is. otherwise we'd have gotten more players in the summer for europa, but we didn't because we can't sustain all that.

under moyes we had a couple special academy lads who could make the come up and the rest were just average who would play league football eventually. we couldn't afford to have better youngsters. same with the first team, he'd play the same first team week in and out because we didn't have the finance to do anything else.

the TV money everyone thinks we are real madrid now, not so, everyone else has it too and we're spending some but also using a lot to pay debt and invest in the business side of things. sure we have gethin jones, will he be a quality starter for us? not likely. we have chris long and mcaleny but pre season after pre season they still don't figure with us. that's how it is. browning, galloway, henen are supposed to be different and special, so yes i would like to blood them, but no gethin jones, would rather see besic at right back.

Problem I see is that if we sign this guy and he's playing at the same time as Oviedo and someone in the crowd shouts, "You're shit Bryan" the two of them might stop to discuss who the comment was aimed at.

Could happen :unsure:.

Oviedo's such a nice guy he'd just smile and say they meant him to save the other Bryan feeling sad.

oviedo can't be relied on but we rely on gibson don't we? becuase we are a club on a small wage scale. just how it is. otherwise we'd have gotten more players in the summer for europa, but we didn't because we can't sustain all that.

under moyes we had a couple special academy lads who could make the come up and the rest were just average who would play league football eventually. we couldn't afford to have better youngsters. same with the first team, he'd play the same first team week in and out because we didn't have the finance to do anything else.

the TV money everyone thinks we are real madrid now, not so, everyone else has it too and we're spending some but also using a lot to pay debt and invest in the business side of things. sure we have gethin jones, will he be a quality starter for us? not likely. we have chris long and mcaleny but pre season after pre season they still don't figure with us. that's how it is. browning, galloway, henen are supposed to be different and special, so yes i would like to blood them, but no gethin jones, would rather see besic at right back.

Eh?! Clutching here dude, not even MC would say that. We absolutely do NOT rely on Gibson, for the simple fact that he cannot be relied on. If he could stay fit, then yeah we probably would.

Our wages have increased dramatically in the last 5 years. I'd say our lack of signings last year was more to do with debt clearance and being smart; planning long term.

You're the only one to have referenced Real Madrid so far, no one thinks that. What we do know is that we've halved our debt, smashed our transfer record & annual spending in 1 summer. Also, that signing cheap young talent (on 10k a week if they're lucky to start with) is investing rather than stockpiling.

Do you watch the U21s? Jones gets very good reviews, just like the other 3 you mentioned. You want to give youth a chance but then write one of them off?

I really don't agree (or understand) you this time mate. I've not got the energy to go around in circles and argue bizarre tangents. Agree to disagree?

Edited by Matt

I go to Ashton Gate quite a bit with my missus as she is a big City fan and I have to say I have been impressed with him this season but he isn't really a left back, more a left sided midfielder playing as a wing back at the moment. During his loan spells at Plymouth and Bath City he was played in midfield but if he stays for next season it will be interesting to see how he fares in the championship when a bit more pressure is applied to him defensively, if of course he isn't sold this summer. City will be under no financial pressure to sell and want to keep their best young players so he won't be available on the cheap.

So for me it would be a massive punt on a player who whilst undoubtedly talented has it all to prove positionally and is yet to play anywhere near the standard of premier league. Issue is though if he blossoms and plays well next season then a few million goes on the asking price

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...