IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

C's other thread made me think I might as well start the annual "who should go, who should come in" thread.

No talk of Martinez please. This is all about players; cutting the deadwood and reinvesting.

My list would be:

Hibbert - Move him into the coaching staff. He's always been a decent defender, solid tackler at least, and Gods know we could do with that kind of instruction on the staff.

McGeady - The one-trick pony has had over a year to make an impression. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after coming from a spell of not playing in the Russian league, he's just never kicked on. However, there's enough youtube-like skill in him to convince someone to pay decent money for him in my opinion. 5-7m I would think.

Mirallas - I don't want him to go. I really don't. But this season he has been poor, uninterested and petulant. IF we could get him playing like last year again, it would be great but I don't have faith. Besides, even if he does have a great season for us, we'll end up selling him for a fraction of his worth anyway. If he goes this summer, we could get 10-12m for him easily. Next year would be half that.

Distin - A solid servant for the club who I've admired and was annoyed at the way he's been treated this season. However, relatively big wages on the books at 40k a week. His contract is up this summer anyway apparently, so pretty sure we won't see him in a blue shirt again.

Pienaar - the Stevie P we all know and love has not played for us consistently in over 2 seasons, and on a reported 60k a week he's just too expensive to keep around. Which is a shame, because we need someone of his ability. 1 year to go on his contract, I'd take what I could for him to be honest, 2-3m ideally.

Howard - Yup, even though I've repeatedly defended him, we need to cash in. Not just because its been a poor season by his standards, but with 2 years on his contract and MLS calls floating around, plus a more than adequate stand in with Robles, I think its time to move on. 3-5m would be my guess

Alcaraz - Another who I've defended because I see a decent player there. But, with his contract supposedly up in the summer, I'd not renew it.

Kone - Hard one this, but another aging player who has yet, in nearly 2 seasons on contract, to make any real impact. Same with Alcaraz, I see a decent player there but we should cash in on the remaining 12 months of his contract and move on. Not his fault he was out so long with injury but theres no space for sentiment here. 3m would be enough for me.

Assuming we can sell for the minimum amounts I've mentioned (around 23-25m), plus whatever new TV money there is, we could be looking at around 35-40m in the summer. Yeah, I know, but I can dream...

So who to bring in? Well, thats where I am stumped. The names bandied around in the rumourama section either are unknown to me, or never going to happen. So, I've put a number next to which priority each position needs in my eyes.

Prio 5: GK - Dunno, honestly no idea. I'd like Robles to be the starter, I think he's earned it, but we also need a back up if Howard goes in case Joel fails to deliver.

Prio 3: Def - Garbutt must be tied down to a long-term deal. Thats prio #1 for me. Take most of Distains wages and give it to the lad, he's going to be huge. Other than that, I don't know.

Prio 1: AMC - This position needs to be the marquee signing for me. That 1 player who has the trickery and quick passing ability ala Silva. Unfortunately those players don't come cheap. Would like to see Gerry return and move him more central.

Prio 2: Winger - I've been impressed with Lennons workrate, so it would depend on how much he would cost. 7m is too much, but if we can get him for under 5m, he would be a better option that McGeady. However, he would be second choice to Stephan El Shaarawy or Iker Muniain, but that not going to happen :(

Prio 4: ST - Henen. If its true that we've got an option to get him for 500k, and that he's enjoyed life in the u21s, then give him a chance to replace Kone.

Here are my changes to give us a younger team and better players for the style we play.

Fee Wage PW In Nyland 4m £20k Deulefou 12m £40k Janujaz 14m £40k Montoya 7m £30k Van Dijk 7m £30k 44m Out Coleman 14m £60k Miralles 14m £70k Baines 14m £70k Howard 2m 60k 44m

This would save us £6m on wages as well to keep bank happy and will roughly cost nothing in transfer fees.

All realistic transfers and team would be:

GK: Nyland

RB: Montoya

CB: Stones

CB: Van Dijk

LB: Garbutt

RW: Deulefou

CM: McCathy

CM: Besic

LW: Janajez

AM: Barkley

ST: Lukaku

Average Age around 23 years old. Keep same team for 5 years and then it is ready, plus the wages saved would clear bank OD.

Howard, Hibbert, Distin,Alcaraz, Pienaar, Osman, Kone, McGeady.

Frightens the life out of me that 3 of thoseare virtualy newsignings.

New keeper, 2 new centre backs, keep Lennon, new winger new attacking mid newback up striker.

Only problem with all this is the 8 listed will bring in virtually no money and we wont have anywhere nesr the funds available needed to bring in that amount of personel. It'll free plenty of wages up but the type of quality we need to replace them we're talking 60-80 million.

Mirallas will be sold but at least we'll grt a fee and be able to replace him with it.

I REALLY fear for us next season.

Out:

Howard

Distin

Hibbert (canching role)

Alcaraz

Piernaar

McGeady

Kone

Barry

In:

Begovic

Richards

Delafaou

Lennon

Henen

Stendera

Van Dijk

Promote the likes of Browning Long Galloway Grant etc into the first team on a more regular basis

---------------Begovic

Coleman----Stones---Van Dijk----Garbutt

---------------McCarthy

Delafaou-------Stendera------Mirallas

------------Barkley

--------------------Lukaku

Howard, Hibbert, Distin,Alcaraz, Pienaar, Osman, Kone, McGeady.

Frightens the life out of me that 3 of thoseare virtualy newsignings.

New keeper, 2 new centre backs, keep Lennon, new winger new attacking mid newback up striker.

Only problem with all this is the 8 listed will bring in virtually no money and we wont have anywhere nesr the funds available needed to bring in that amount of personel. It'll free plenty of wages up but the type of quality we need to replace them we're talking 60-80 million.

Mirallas will be sold but at least we'll grt a fee and be able to replace him with it.

I REALLY fear for us next season.

This is my main worry for the ageing squad.

We are in a difficult position were we need to start looking to replace 8-10 first team players over the coming years. Most have been key players. It's gonna cost a few quid.

Forget the manager just now. Who ever is here is going to have a tough task.

Fukinell some of these are shite.

Maybe but realistically who can we afford with having to replace (in most people's eye's) so much deadwood that will bring in very little return?

You could put names down all night tbh but it means diddly squat if the manager doesn't share the same view which worries me could well be the case

Edited by EFC-Paul

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3003861/Everton-rid-weak-links-season-struggle-s-SEVEN-players-Roberto-Martinez-let-go.html

Sums most of it up I think.

As for players coming in, I don't watch enough foreign football, or home football actually, to be able to pretend I know who is available, whose contract runs down etc. Not a fucking clue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3003861/Everton-rid-weak-links-season-struggle-s-SEVEN-players-Roberto-Martinez-let-go.html

Sums most of it up I think.

As for players coming in, I don't watch enough foreign football, or home football actually, to be able to pretend I know who is available, whose contract runs down etc. Not a fucking clue.

One thing is for sure; we cannot go into next season with a squad that is more or less the same as this season. There has to be an overhaul.

Something has to happen.

Distan Alcaraz out free

Hibbo coaching role, Ossie player coach always welcome at the club.

Mirallas will go - hopefully 12m

Baines can go with Garbs and Oviedo to step up - hopefully 10-12m

Someone needs to go in the mids, wish it was Barry but it won't be.

McGeady can go if he doesn't perform rest of season-5m

Kone, wanted him to do well but not sure, if he doesn't show signs for rest of season, 2m

Total - 31 give or take. (Hopefully 40 to spend)

In

God knows.

Yarmalenko will go champions league team. Try get Gerry back on loan. 1 CB and promote youth. Trippier looks decent. Need another striker.

We need so much...

Distan Alcaraz out free

Hibbo coaching role, Ossie player coach always welcome at the club.

Mirallas will go - hopefully 12m

Baines can go with Garbs and Oviedo to step up - hopefully 10-12m

Someone needs to go in the mids, wish it was Barry but it won't be.

McGeady can go if he doesn't perform rest of season-5m

Kone, wanted him to do well but not sure, if he doesn't show signs for rest of season, 2m

I rather agree with this and would add a few more observations.

- Mirallas really has to go. His occasional moments of brilliance don't make up for his inconsistency and attitude. Clearly, he wants to play for a Champions League team, so let him go.

- We should have sold Baines last year to United; it's too late now. At this point, the loyalty he's shown to the club should be returned - although he can't assume a starting spot.

- Barry has run out of steam, so encourage him to join Howard in the MLS.

- If Arsenal are willing to fork out a small fortune for Coleman, we should consider that as well.

- Pienaar is another one who should leave.

- Jagielka is proving to be an excellent captain, and we need his seniority.

We've seen three players come through the youth program in the last couple of years (Barkley, Stones, and Garbutt), and maybe we can expect a couple more next season (Browning and Ledson?). Together with Lukaku, Besic, Robles, that would give us an excellent core of young players that could play together for several years. That's what we need.

Couple of things there Steve...

Stones was bought in. Pretty sure Garbett was too.

But it does hint on something...we do need out youth system to produce some good team players.

True. I suppose it depends on the definition of coming through the youth system. Some have only ever been with the Everton youth system. Others (Henen is one right now) were brought in. Either way, it's nice to see the team preparing for the future with a strong bunch of younger players.

Howard needs to go to MLS. I love the guy as an American, but he's past his prime. What does Everton have on its youth teams at GK? Robles will be fine but do we have any talent behind?

I'm not sad if Mirallas goes. And this is probably controversial, but I'd sell Baines and replace him with Garbutt. Barry should go too.

We lack of personality on the pitch don't you think?

Like Gravesen or Dunc.

People that can stand up and be counted and not afraid to express themselves

Yeah, I get you but I think Besic is the answer to that. Also Naismith is forever in people's faces. I think McCarthy has the potential to be one of those types too, definitely a 'quiet devil' in there!!!

Yeah, I get you but I think Besic is the answer to that. Also Naismith is forever in people's faces. I think McCarthy has the potential to be one of those types too, definitely a 'quiet devil' in there!!!

Don't think so myself, he's more the "baby faced assassin" type, looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

McCarthy has possibilities though I agree.

Out

Alcaraz, Distin, Gibson, Oviedo, Kone, Hibbert, Pienaar, Howard, Mirallas.

Distin and Alcaraz speak for themselves. Gibson is such a good player, but he can't stay fit. Injury after injury, it isn't going to improve now. Oviedo, another who can't stay fit since that injury. If we can cash in on him Garbutt is good enough to replace him. Kone, now fit he is showing a lack of composure, ok he missed a lot of football and may take time to get back to his best but he isn't Young and won't improve much. Hibbert, I love the guy, 100% every time, but he can't stay fit. Pienaar, another who can't stay fit. Howard, I have loved him but he's not been good enough, I'm hoping he gets an MLS offer to tempt him away. Mirallas, to not be in the squad lately something has gone on. He doesn't seem like he wants to be here, cash out.

I don't see the point in getting rid of Barry, Osman or McGeady, they tend to be fit, Ossie has been a bit unlucky this season, we won't get much money for them and we will need options and cover.

In

Two centre halfs. One who can be Stones partner long term and another to challenge. Need some aggression at the back, a bit of nasty, and someone who will defend as a priority.

A centre mid. This is where we need a big signing for me. A partner for McCarthy, with a presence, again with aggression, who can pass the ball forward. If we make one big signing this is where we need it.

Wingers. Lennon, his work rate alone causes problems. Another with a left foot too, a bit of balance would help. Pace and chalk on their boots, making space for Ross in the middle.

A striker. Either a partner for Rom or competition. A runner who can upset defenders, a different option to what we have. Would be happy with Ings or Austin. Scoring goals in poor teams.

I don't want to see Ross stuck on the wing next season. Play him or Naismith, don't squeeze them both in unless Ross matures enough to play deeper.

I rather agree with this and would add a few more observations.

- Mirallas really has to go. His occasional moments of brilliance don't make up for his inconsistency and attitude. Clearly, he wants to play for a Champions League team, so let him go.

- We should have sold Baines last year to United; it's too late now. At this point, the loyalty he's shown to the club should be returned - although he can't assume a starting spot.

- Barry has run out of steam, so encourage him to join Howard in the MLS.

- If Arsenal are willing to fork out a small fortune for Coleman, we should consider that as well.

- Pienaar is another one who should leave.

- Jagielka is proving to be an excellent captain, and we need his seniority.

We've seen three players come through the youth program in the last couple of years (Barkley, Stones, and Garbutt), and maybe we can expect a couple more next season (Browning and Ledson?). Together with Lukaku, Besic, Robles, that would give us an excellent core of young players that could play together for several years. That's what we need.

I had completely forgotten about peanuts. I only mention Baines because as a club, we can't afford to have players of value retire here, if we can get 10-12m we have to take it, similar to the arteta situation..

I agree with all there. Sign Henen on a perm as he seems to be going alright in U21,

I think its about natural leaders. Besic and Naismithy aren't always starters.

Coleman has a bit of needle but I don't really see it McCarthy.

When Rom get's angry he is a bit of a force of nature but we dont see it enough.