IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

A few points I need to make.

We don't know how much money everton do or do not have to spend on players.

Just because some clubs are being public about the bids for players, it doesn't mean they have more to spend than we do.

Just because we have not gone public with our bids (we very rarely do that) does not mean we are not bidding for players.

The big TV money does not come in until next season. So clubs splashing the cash now have borrowed money against next summers payment. We do this every year ourselves, but pay millions in interest.

We have actually signed some players already.

Would it be better if we paid £20m for Gerry so we can look all flash?

Should we be bidding £15m for average strikers, or £10m for average midfielders like a lot of other clubs are doing?

Maybe relax, the players have only just gone back to training. Plenty is going on that we are not, and should not be, aware of.

I don't trust the board to make big decisions on the future of the club. I don't trust them on a commercial level. But in terms of getting a the signings done, they are actually pretty good at it. It will be fine.

Mark, this one is just for you mate. Calm the fuck down, I just lost a lot of time in my life reading your take on the current transfer situation. It's not worth worrying about, it always turns out in the end. We want players according to the rumours, the sign for other clubs, then we do better than them. It's all part of the process.

I can't help but feel that this will fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes, as this is a message board). However, I'm happy to see that there are more than a few sane people participating in the calming of our very own Alex Jones.

A few points I need to make.

We don't know how much money everton do or do not have to spend on players.

Just because some clubs are being public about the bids for players, it doesn't mean they have more to spend than we do.

Just because we have not gone public with our bids (we very rarely do that) does not mean we are not bidding for players.

The big TV money does not come in until next season. So clubs splashing the cash now have borrowed money against next summers payment. We do this every year ourselves, but pay millions in interest.

We have actually signed some players already.

Would it be better if we paid £20m for Gerry so we can look all flash?

Should we be bidding £15m for average strikers, or £10m for average midfielders like a lot of other clubs are doing?

Maybe relax, the players have only just gone back to training. Plenty is going on that we are not, and should not be, aware of.

I don't trust the board to make big decisions on the future of the club. I don't trust them on a commercial level. But in terms of getting a the signings done, they are actually pretty good at it. It will be fine.

Mark, this one is just for you mate. Calm the fuck down, I just lost a lot of time in my life reading your take on the current transfer situation. It's not worth worrying about, it always turns out in the end. We want players according to the rumours, the sign for other clubs, then we do better than them. It's all part of the process.

lol steve. Not a fan of my stream of consciousness posts? Haha, no worries man was bored as hell at work. Thanks to mike suggestion I read a bunch of financials and I have better opinions on the board and finance (I'll keep them to myself for now)

You're right well have to wait and see who's right at the end of the window in regards to transfer kitty.

Joe quince- 15 eh? Not a bad last name. Just cause I'm a musician doesn't mean I'm deaf, probably have better hearing than you do.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Joe quince- 15 eh? Not a bad last name. Just cause I'm a musician doesn't mean I'm deaf, probably have better hearing than you do.

Quince isn't my last name. I'm not 15. I'm a professor. And I am also a lifelong musician. Though, playing in punk bands for years has probably worn my ears down a bit over the years. I haven't noticed the way I've noticed my eyesight going though!

Quince isn't my last name. I'm not 15. I'm a professor. And I am also a lifelong musician. Though, playing in punk bands for years has probably worn my ears down a bit over the years. I haven't noticed the way I've noticed my eyesight going though!

Ah didn't know if you were Spanish or not. Although Jose quince probably would have been your screen name.

Back to summer transfers. In a perfect world I would like us to nix the cabaye to palace deal, I want him, I want mertens, I want byram for rb backup and I want ospina at gk and I want Virgil van dijk for our cb cover. I'll also take on loan yedlin from Spurs, he'll be cover on the wings (he could defend in MLS but would be toasted in EPL, plus he plays on the wing for U.S. team).Sell Howard, mcgeady, pienaar.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I'll be very surprised if we make a marquee signing this summer. Pleasantly surprised.

I don't know if it's just because of my general lack of interest in things football this summer though.

I'll be very surprised if we make a marquee signing this summer. Pleasantly surprised.

I don't know if it's just because of my general lack of interest in things football this summer though.

I'm convinced we have more money than people think, but if we don't get that AMC we're going to see the exact same problems as last year.

I'm convinced we have more money than people think, but if we don't get that AMC we're going to see the exact same problems as last year.

More money than people think, maybe, but I really don't think it'll be anywhere near what we should have.

If we don't get that number 10 I'll be glad of my lack of interest. Or maybe that happening will make me care again and I'll go nuclear :lol:.

Still need about 5 first team squad members. At least 2 starters.

Starters - Goalkeeper, playmaker

Squad members - Striker, Centre back and Winger

Agree.

The thought of Ospina doesn't really excite me as GK - I see him as very much a Howard type keeper - brilliant shot stopper but not that big commanding keeper for crosses/set pieces which I'd personally prefer.

I enjoy the transfer window as much as the next guy but i really dont like rumors for rumors sake. Martinez has gone on record multiple times in saying we will not be signing a goalkeeper. Can we please stop with gk rumors? Its all hear say and nothing will happen on the gk front.

He says lots of things then does exactly the opposite so I wouldn't take anything he says as gospel. However, we're not lucky enough to get rid of Calamity Caper Howard this season so you're probably right.

I enjoy the transfer window as much as the next guy but i really dont like rumors for rumors sake. Martinez has gone on record multiple times in saying we will not be signing a goalkeeper. Can we please stop with gk rumors? Its all hear say and nothing will happen on the gk front.

Without commenting on the GK rumour, Albany's post does remind me that it's been a real learning experience for an American - me - trying to decipher newspaper articles on transfers.

Only gradually have I learned to pay close attention to phrases such as "look set to sign player X," or "Aardvarks on verge of swooping in to sign Y," or references to an "imminent" signing. It appears that the phrase "set to" actually means "nothing is at all set." And "look to" seems to mean "Well, this seems like something that club should be thinking about doing." Even the "factual" words, "Player Z to sign 4-year deal," might actually be either something like a 50-50 possibility or total speculation, neither factual nor even "fact-like."

Without commenting on the GK rumour, Albany's post does remind me that it's been a real learning experience for an American - me - trying to decipher newspaper articles on transfers.

Only gradually have I learned to pay close attention to phrases such as "look set to sign player X," or "Aardvarks on verge of swooping in to sign Y," or references to an "imminent" signing. It appears that the phrase "set to" actually means "nothing is at all set." And "look to" seems to mean "Well, this seems like something that club should be thinking about doing." Even the "factual" words, "Player Z to sign 4-year deal," might actually be either something like a 50-50 possibility or total speculation, neither factual nor even "fact-like."

Re that final phrase, just look at Delph recently.

You learn fast!

You learn fast!

This is hilarious, as "Elston learns fast" is equivalent to the fact-like "He looks set to learn how transfer rumours work," which actually means "He's is a bit of a dolt." I really ought to have caught on several years ago. God knows how often I figured, "There's a done deal," only to find it was utter nonsense, er, bollocks.

I'm curious: are these "fact-like" phrases a recent innovation by "the press," or a long and noble part of English/European football? A creative conspiracy, innocent enough, among agents and scribes?

This is hilarious, as "Elston learns fast" is equivalent to the fact-like "He looks set to learn how transfer rumours work," which actually means "He's is a bit of a dolt."

Can see how it could come across as that but not how it was meant!

It's a product of the internet age I think and has grown along with it.

Can see how it could come across as that but not how it was meant!

It's a product of the internet age I think and has grown along with it.

No, I realize you didn't mean it that way [unless you're about to string this out for several posts, putting me on repeatedly.... don't answer that].

I take full responsibility, as responding to your perfectly nice comment gave me a good opportunity to practice using my new favorite fact-like phrase,"looks set to." E.g., "In Roberto Martinez's third season at the Toffees' helm, he looks set to obfuscate 50% less frequently in his post-match comments."

As a near-perfect fact-like phrase, "looks set to" wonderfully exemplifies Stephen Colbert's word, "truthiness."

Yeh those 3 really, McAleny has only really had the game against Swindon but looked very impressive, hopefully he continues. The two young boys at the back look solid, inexperienced yes but capable. I would still prioritize a back up CB ( but not someone costing 8m plus ) as i think in 2 years one of those 2 will be pushing for a star/ taking over Jags. The other position is no.10.
Wingers we have ( if everyone stays ) Kev, Gerry, Peanuts, McGeady, Oviedo, McAleny
Strikers Lukaku, Kone, Kev, Naisy.

If come January Kone/McGeady havent kicked on ship them off and maybe look to loan deals to replace. But i think its enough to get us through. Bare in mind we probably havent got much to spend, perhaps Martinez has had to delay any deals to do with Howards rumored uncertainty.

Hopefully it's a bluff.

Think we need an 'established' playmaker, without doubt.

That's the only "major signing" we really need.

Still should be looking at Goalkeeper, Centre Back, Winger, Second Striker. All don't HAVE to be big names but they're positions that need filling IMO.