IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

We should have a transfer kitty for once provided Billy isn't stashing everything into the new stadium fund. Selling Mirallas should net 12-15 million (there should be no shortage of suitors) and a few fringe players should bring in some money. So what do we need?

My first priority would be a playmaker. Even Gibson, being quite limited as a playmaker, has made a big impact, as has Osman he isn't quite a playmaker either. As it's pretty certain Martinez is not going to switch to route one football, we need someone who can dictate the play. This should be priority and a position where loaning a players is completely pointless (you'd need to replace you most important player again next summer). We have been linked with Sergi Roberto, but I have no idea how good he actually is.

After that it definitely looks like we need a decent CB. Distin will leave and I certainly hope so does Alcaraz. That would leave us with just Jagielka and Stones. Depending on how Galloway and Browning come along, a short-term fourth choice CB might also be needed (three is too risky).

A new goalkeeper would be more than nice but it depends on who's available and at what price. Howard seems adamant he's not going anywhere which could be a problem.

After these the rest of the transfer money can be spent on wingers and a forward. Couple of loans are also on the agenda. It's hard to figure out how much money there is and of course selling some of the deadwood could add to the pot. McGeady is one who should be gone if someone offers decent money (anything north of five million). Pienaar and Gibson could be sold on the basis they don't seem to stay fit. Kone, I very much doubt anyone would pay anything for him. Barry likewise.

If there are good targets to be had and money needs to be raised I would consider selling Baines or Coleman. Baines is one of my all-time favourite players but his value will drop rapidly from now on so if someone desperate for a good left back offers silly money then it would probably be for the best. Assuming Martinez gets Garbutt to sign a new contract first. Coleman is someone we might get more money out than he realistically is worth for the club (the money could be invested on making the team stronger). I don't want to loose him either but it's clear the team needs rebuilding. Of course part of the problem would be that he'd need replacing. Oviedo is probably also on sale for the right price especially if Garbutt signs.

Lennon is worth considering, especially if we could negotiate the price down a little bit. We need a new left winger on a permanent deal and maybe loan someone who can play that position (Adama Traore for instance). Ayew on a free sounds a good idea. A permanent deal for a player who can play up front and on either wing would be nice. I would also expect another cheap midfielder who can pass the ball (Cleverley?).

It's not a good idea to let go of too many players at once. Too many changes will disrupt the team. That's why I would keep Osman and Naismith and not sell everyone I listed (it all depends on what the offer is).

So, to recap

1. A playmaker

2. A third-choice CB + possibly a fourth-choice (depending on Galloway/Browning).

3. A left winger.

4. A right winger.

5. A forward, preferrably one who can also play in the wings.

6. Two loanees who can play in the wings or upfront.

This could potentially leave us with (just to use some examples, not saying we should sign these, from the rumours section):

GK: X (we haven't been linked with any keepers?), Howard, Robles (one of the two would leave in this case)

RB: Coleman, Hibbert, Browning

LB: Baines, Garbutt

CB: Jagielka, Stones, Stefan Reinartz (, Corluka/Galloway)

Mid: McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Barkley, Gibson, Osman, Sergi Roberto, Tom Cleverley

RW: Lennon, McGeady

LW: Andre Ayew, Adama Traore (Traore can play either wing)

ST: Lukaku, Martial (Martial can also play LW), Kone, Naismith

Out: Distin (free), Alcaraz (free), Mirallas (12 million), Pienaar (free), Atsu (loan end), Oviedo (4 million)

Out if someone offers something: Gibson, Kone, Naismith, Barry, Howard or Robles.

Reinartz, Ayew and Cleverley are on free transfers so money would be needed for the keeper, "Roberto", "Lennon" and "Martial". Might be a bit of a stretch, unfortunately so "Martial" might be replaced by "El-Haddadi" on loan.

• 2 weeks later...

The worrying thing for me is the number of players we will need, probably at least 7 or 8.

If we only needed 2 or 3 I would be happy with Martinez acquiring those.

This is a massive summer for us, we need to replace the likes of Distin, Peinaar Osman et al, as well find another striker, keeper and a couple of wingers!

I just think he may struggle to sign the players we need.

I would love to be wrong and gladly eat humble pie.

The worrying thing for me is the number of players we will need, probably at least 7 or 8.

If we only needed 2 or 3 I would be happy with Martinez acquiring those.

This is a massive summer for us, we need to replace the likes of Distin, Peinaar Osman et al, as well find another striker, keeper and a couple of wingers!

I just think he may struggle to sign the players we need.

I would love to be wrong and gladly eat humble pie.

To be fair, I think any manager in the world would struggle to replace all what needs replacing with the budget we'll have.

Even if we got the bodies in they are going to need bedding in bringing 7-8 players for the first team squad and getting them gelling will not be easy.

I thought about this some time ago starting lineup doesn't need to change that much. Midfield is the area that needs to be rebuilt. Goalkeeper might be, depending on how Howard does but Coleman - Stones - Jagielka - Baines doesn't need to be changed at the start of the season. Alcaraz and Distin need to be replaced, which means one new player from outside and hopefully the youngsters can fill the other position. In attack Lukaku will still be the main player (unless his agent gets him a move). A second-choice striker would be nice, though.

But in midfield I can only see three players with long-term future: McCarthy, Besic and Barkley. This means Bobby needs to find at least two wingers and most importantly a playmaker. So, to recap our lineup in the first match of next season could be

Howard

Coleman - Stones - Jagielka - Baines

Lennon - McCarthy - "Rafa Silva" - "Andre Ayew"

Barkley

Lukaku

Subs: Robles, Garbutt, Oviedo, McGeady, "Claudio Beauvue", "Stefan Reinartz", "Gerard Deulofeu" (loan).

Those names are just picked from the rumours section to show what kind of players I'm thinking about.

Keeper

Cover RB

Centre back x 2

RW x 1

CM x 1

LW x 2

CF x 1

I'd say we need to spend at least £50m if we want to get into the CL.

I'd be happy with a top 6 finish though. A big ask going on this season.

Same for me but get rid of a centre back, left mid and forward. No europa so lukaku Naisy Kone is fine for forwards. We have browning or Galloway to step up for the 4th cb spot and on the wings we still have Osman and Mcgeady as cover, we just need 2 starters if Mirallas leaves.

Same for me but get rid of a centre back, left mid and forward. No europa so lukaku Naisy Kone is fine for forwards. We have browning or Galloway to step up for the 4th cb spot and on the wings we still have Osman and Mcgeady as cover, we just need 2 starters if Mirallas leaves.

Mark you really need to start understanding that you just can't expect lads playing at under 18 level to walk into the first team and be able to perform at the the level required.

It's just not as simple as that mate. Some players but very very few are exceptional enough to play but 99% will end up playing in the lower tiers

Mark you really need to start understanding that you just can't expect lads playing at under 18 level to walk into the first team and be able to perform at the the level required.

It's just not as simple as that mate. Some players but very very few are exceptional enough to play but 99% will end up playing in the lower tiers

pad i don't have them as starters, just cover. they can't do any worse than own goal alcaraz or panic attack distin. stones and jags are fine plus one veteran CB to sign to rotate. the 4th cb of galloway or browning would rarely see the field, which is fine for a youngster. remember we just have the league and cups next year so minimal games.

pad i don't have them as starters, just cover. they can't do any worse than own goal alcaraz or panic attack distin. stones and jags are fine plus one veteran CB to sign to rotate. the 4th cb of galloway or browning would rarely see the field, which is fine for a youngster. remember we just have the league and cups next year so minimal games.

I agree with you but understand where Pad is coming from. Cover is the best way to blood them in, and unless you do that you'll never discover the Rooneys, Barkleys, Stones etc

I agree with you but understand where Pad is coming from. Cover is the best way to blood them in, and unless you do that you'll never discover the Rooneys, Barkleys, Stones etc

exactly! pad goes to town everytime i mention a youngster you'd think he was david moyes or something! i jest, but seriously man, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

exactly! pad goes to town everytime i mention a youngster you'd think he was david moyes or something! i jest, but seriously man, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

The point I'm trying to make is there are dozens of coaches etc assessing these kids and if they aren't being picked it's because they are not ready so to just "throw them in" would be suicide.

Matt mentioned it's how we find the Barkleys etc but those are the exception to the rule, those are the stand out players and that is why ghey are picked so young. If every youngster we had was able to do that we would be better than Bayern in 5 years time as they would all be potentially class acts but the harsh reality is throwing a Galloway or Hennen in at the deep end can be catastrophic and complstely ruin a player.

It's a massive step up. From playing either against boys in the Under 18s or what is effectively a friendly in the rezzies to playing against grown men in a blood and thunder competative match in arguably the worlds toughest league.

They're absolutely poles apart and you can't just say "ah fuck it, in you go lad" to a player who isn't physically or mentally strong enough for it yet.

Edited by Paddock

i understand pad, i'm not an idiot. barkley looked dire for us under moyes, under your philosophy he would have been sold to a championship side for pennies. instead we gave him a full run out and he's class, worth 50m (or thereabouts) now.

we'll never know unless they get an actual run out. same goes for joel, he looked class for wigan, and it would be a real shame to not give him a solid run of games to prove himself. his physical frame alone is worth the run, courtois esque size and wing span.

The point I'm trying to make is there are dozens of coaches etc assessing these kids and if they aren't being picked it's because they are not ready so to just "throw them in" would be suicide.

Matt mentioned it's how we find the Barkleys etc but those are the exception to the rule, those are the stand out players and that is why ghey are picked so young. If every youngster we had was able to do that we would be better than Bayern in 5 years time as they would all be potentially class acts but the harsh reality is throwing a Galloway or Hennen in at the deep end can be catastrophic and complstely ruin a player.

It's a massive step up. From playing either against boys in the Under 18s or what is effectively a friendly in the rezzies to playing against grown men in a blood and thunder competative match in arguably the worlds toughest league.

They're absolutely poles apart and you can't just say "ah fuck it, in you go lad" to a player who isn't physically or mentally strong enough for it yet.

Usually they're picked because they're stand out youngsters, but even then it's usually only get a chance due to injuries. I don't see any harm with blooding some youngsters, like we've done with Garbutt, when there is a need.

Usually they're picked because they're stand out youngsters, but even then it's usually only get a chance due to injuries. I don't see any harm with blooding some youngsters, like we've done with Garbutt, when there is a need.

Garbutt's twenty-two next month, so not really comparable with Galloway, Browning or Henen.

Garbutt's twenty-two next month, so not really comparable with Galloway or Henen.

why not? Age isn't that big a deal; if you're good enough etc. Garbutt was a reserve who got a break in the first team, same as Stones did. Why, if we're needing a player to cover CB or a striker, cant Henen or Galloway be potential candidates? Edited by Matt

why not? Age isn't that big a deal; if you're good enough etc. Garbutt was a reserve who got a break in the first team, same as Stones did. Why, if we're needing a player to cover CB or a striker, cant Henen or Galloway be potential candidates?

I didn't mention age, that was you ("I don't see the harm in blooding some youngsters"); was just pointing out that Luke is no youngster.

Those guys may be potential candidates at their age if they're truly exceptional talents but I don't think we've seen enough from them for it to be anything less than a huge gamble to put them in.