IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

I didn't mention age, that was you ("I don't see the harm in blooding some youngsters"); was just pointing out that Luke is no youngster.

Those guys may be potential candidates at their age if they're truly exceptional talents but I don't think we've seen enough from them for it to be anything less than a huge gamble to put them in.

you said he's 22, still a youngster in my eyes. I didn't mention age :P But ok, reserves with potential then.

Again, I'm saying when needed. Not throw them in for the the hell of it! But give them a chance rather than trying to sticking 1st teamers in unnatural positions

Edited by Matt

Big difference with Garbutt to the others mentioned is that Garbutt's been out on loan and played internationally through the ranks - he would have played a lot more games if it wasn't for injuries. Stones is just exceptional - he had a good run with Barnsley when we signed him too. Galloway looks good but he plays in a 'key position' so I don't think we'll see him this season. I do think we will see Henen before the end of the season as a winger where it's easier to throw a player in.

Regarding Paddy's point on youngsters as reserves even Moyes was willing to keep a Shane Duffy as our second? back up CB while at the club. I think Browning can do a similar job having been given a couple of runs (albeit at RB) in the first team and looking up to a decent standard. Otherwise we're just spending money and wages on a player that realistically we'll barley see played, while he also blocks the development of our young CBs at the club.

Regarding Paddy's point on youngsters as reserves even Moyes was willing to keep a Shane Duffy as our second? back up CB while at the club. I think Browning can do a similar job having been given a couple of runs (albeit at RB) in the first team and looking up to a decent standard. Otherwise we're just spending money and wages on a player that realistically we'll barley see played, while he also blocks the development of our young CBs at the club.

Browning maybe has a shout but Galloway (for example) hasn't been anywhere near the first team and is evidentally not ready so to just throw him to the lions in my eyes is madness.

Regarding Paddy's point on youngsters as reserves even Moyes was willing to keep a Shane Duffy as our second? back up CB while at the club. I think Browning can do a similar job having been given a couple of runs (albeit at RB) in the first team and looking up to a decent standard. Otherwise we're just spending money and wages on a player that realistically we'll barley see played, while he also blocks the development of our young people CBs at the club.

I was an awful fan boy today, and ' bumped ' into Duffy today, he was very polite and absolutely mAsssive. Hope he ends up back at Everton

Browning maybe has a shout but Galloway (for example) hasn't been anywhere near the first team and is evidentally not ready so to just throw him to the lions in my eyes is madness.

Agreed. It'd only be Browning that I think could possibly be depended on as a second back-up CB. I imagine with Galloway he'll be given some loan time next season or else just continue his development at youth level. Hopefully this time next season we'll start to see him feature more in the first team squad.

I was an awful fan boy today, and ' bumped ' into Duffy today, he was very polite and absolutely mAsssive. Hope he ends up back at Everton

I can't see it happening while Martinez is at the club. The lad just doesn't fit in with his ethos. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing him return, but I do think his level would be squad player, rather than starter, at Everton.

Isn't Galloway the real prospect and the one being tipped for a big future?

I thought Browning had a good cameo against the reds..But then struggled a little.

Not sure on the ages of these two?

Galloway was nineteen last month,Browning is twenty-one next month.

That playmaker is the single most important signing we must make this summer.

It's good that Cleverley and the playmaker are 2 different targets. Where I feel Cleverley will prove to be a shrewd bit of business for us, he's clearly not the playmaking answer!

It's good that Cleverley and the playmaker are 2 different targets. Where I feel Cleverley will prove to be a shrewd bit of business for us, he's clearly not the playmaking answer!

If we get the playmaker that will prevent my head from melting about us signing Cleverley. It was a relief to read that article and see Cleverley's name as an afterthought to the signings we need to make tbh.

If we get the playmaker that will prevent my head from melting about us signing Cleverley. It was a relief to read that article and see Cleverley's name as an afterthought to the signings we need to make tbh.

i agree we need a playmaker. where do you think they will play though? this is what i've been thinking about because we have to play ross centrally, so either the playmaker takes barry's place or is on the left wing where pienaar was and cuts in ala david silva/pienaar. or maybe we switch formations. i've been mulling this for a while, thoughts?

I think Besic can be that kind of Gravesen esq player in time but with more about his game once he becomes more settled and vocal he could be a real midfield enforcer...hopefully

Gravesen wasn't really a tackling enforcer (despite his image) but had great skills and take the game by the scruff of the neck. We need another Tommy G or an Arteta

Like Besic but I wonder if he has that creativity in him? More destructor than creator?

Gravesen wasn't really a tackling enforcer (despite his image) but had great skills and take the game by the scruff of the neck. We need another Tommy G or an Arteta

Like Besic but I wonder if he has that creativity in him? More destructor than creator?

One thing Gravesen was in my eyes was a midfield general type he was far from a creative player although I do agree his ability was probably overshadowed by image

Besic is pretty nippy can tackle and spray a ball well he just needs games really it's one area with Mccarthy also I think we're fine in

We are desperate as you say for an Arteta type player though Carlos Gil would have been a good addition for the money Cabaye's a good shout but will probably want CL footie

He's both for me. Some of his distribution is incredible, though inconsistent. Will improve with games though, we've got a gem in Besic.

And shit for most of his time with us in all honesty.

Funny isn't it. How someone like Gravesen is remembered as a midfield general and a crowd favourite and some people can't see what McCarthy offers.

He had a really good 2-3 month spell if I remember once - other than that he was like a labrador let off the lead, running over to the byline to launch a stupid tackle on some player to pick up a needless booking. Carsley deserved a medal for the role he did.

Lovely to watch on the ball at times, very graceful for a stocky fella - but not the brightest.

Funny isn't it. How someone like Gravesen is remembered as a midfield general and a crowd favourite and some people can't see what McCarthy offers.

He had a really good 2-3 month spell if I remember once - other than that he was like a labrador let off the lead, running over to the byline to launch a stupid tackle on some player to pick up a needless booking. Carsley deserved a medal for the role he did.

Lovely to watch on the ball at times, very graceful for a stocky fella - but not the brightest.

For me Grav was more of a cult figure than a player that actually added much to the side. Like you said, he had that one spell where he was great (just before he left) but, other than that, he was pretty crap and non-existent apart from being a loony.

For me Grav was more of a cult figure than a player that actually added much to the side. Like you said, he had that one spell where he was great (just before he left) but, other than that, he was pretty crap and non-existent apart from being a loony.

Gravesen epitomised what makes some footballers extremely overated - a bit of crowd acknowledgement, the odd mad challenge, kinda turned a premier league match into WWF.

All he needed was to get a plastic chair and smash it over an opponents head and climb up the dug out and do a body splash.