IGNORED

Cricket Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever happened to proper openers? Is Mr Boycott's mother still available with her broom handle?

"England first wicket partnership was 10 so they have now scored 85 runs for the first wicket in the series at an average of 12.

Australia's opening partnership has made 62 runs at 8.8."

I'm not sure why all the lavish praise for Ben Stokes for a flash in the pan innings the last time around. True brilliance comes from Steve Smith, whose scored a half-century, full century, or double-century every innings. If Smith hadn't been out injured, Stokes wouldn't have even had the chance to make an impact in the previous test.

21 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm not sure why all the lavish praise for Ben Stokes for a flash in the pan innings the last time around. True brilliance comes from Steve Smith, whose scored a half-century, full century, or double-century every innings. If Smith hadn't been out injured, Stokes wouldn't have even had the chance to make an impact in the previous test.

No doubt about his ability as a batsman, but forever under a cloud whatever he achieves because he's a proven, self confessed cheat in a sport that is supposed to be the definition of "hard but fair". That's why, "...it's just not cricket.." is a widely used phrase that's transcended the game to describe anything that's just plain wrong as it's regarded as a gentleman's game were fair play is paramount. Many other sports he'd have been banned for far longer than a year.

Anyway, we made it to tea! Be ridiculous if we could hold out today, but I think the new ball will probably be our downfall even if we see out the 11 overs with the old one.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

The BBC headline is funny: "Brave England fall short in thriller." The reality, "England score in two innings what Australia scored in one." England were thrashed by a far superior Australian side.

Okay Steve calm down with your England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 bashing we are quite a sensitive people I’ll have you know 😀

On 13/09/2019 at 13:11, MikeO said:

They keep setting the same trap for us and we keep falling for it, that is making the mistake of dismissing Warner and Harris. If we bowled underarm daisy-cutters at them all day then we'd never have to face Labuschagne and Smith

....and again...

On 17/09/2019 at 03:20, Formby said:

On the final day. He's in to take wickets and he doesn't do that enough, in my opinion. We need better.

I mean half the job of a spinner is to keep it tight at one end and let your quicks rotate around him too. I think Leach does a pretty decent job of that. 

There’s still people in Australia who don’t rate Lyon because he can’t take wickets at will (I.e. he’s not a Shane Warne clone) and ignore the other jobs he does for the test team. 

On 18/09/2019 at 02:29, Vranny said:

I mean half the job of a spinner is to keep it tight at one end and let your quicks rotate around him too. I think Leach does a pretty decent job of that. 

There’s still people in Australia who don’t rate Lyon because he can’t take wickets at will (I.e. he’s not a Shane Warne clone) and ignore the other jobs he does for the test team. 

I'd take Lyon over Leach in a heartbeat!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...