IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

Watching the WBA vs Sheffield United game and didn't realise how Holgate seems to have filled out a fair amount this season! He also looks class on the ball. Maybe RB is his position, could save us a few quid on a RB next year if he keeps progressing with Kenny also pushing for it. 

Dowell took his header really well too. 

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, barryj said:

Poor penalty

Yeah but did you see that long throw for the assist for their only goal of the game?  Imagine having long throwers on both sides...

Must say I am surprised how well he has played at RB this season.  Frankly, before the season started, I thought he was done in a blue shirt.  Not sure he would make the Championship team of the season or anything but have to say well done to Mason.

• 2 months later...

HOLGATE BACK TO BAGGIES?

Sky Sports News understands that West Brom want to take Everton defender Mason Holgate back to the Hawthorns on loan 

The 22-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan with Albion, but it’s believed Everton are not willing to allow the defender to leave.

WBA have just signed a right back so would presume he’d be used as a centre back if a deal was sanctioned. As Romey said - no chance having lost Zouma and Jagielka but sign at least 1 quality centre back and it may be good for his development (should he play cb). Gibson could be a back-up option this season and I hope Mina will be a lot fitter after a ‘proper’ pre-season but I do think we need someone to build a 1st choice partnership with Keane. Gutted Zouma is looking less likely by the day!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, poorly written.  Assuming that we're buying a CB (as expressed by Marco), and getting an RB on Loan (pretty sure the club has said this as well?).

If we do that, Holgate would likely be 4th choice CB and 3rd choice RB.  He needs to be playing, so a loan to a prem league team with Jags as a continuing mentor... No brainer for mine.

Think Gibson has shown enough to be the 4th CB cover this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

"I told him what I wanted, he understood and the good games he is having, all the credit is to him."

-Silva :rolleyes:

The sentence starts with "I told him". A token credit to him at the end doesn't hide the fact Silva is trying to take credit and distance himself from why he wasn't playing in the first place. 

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

The sentence starts with "I told him". A token credit to him at the end doesn't hide the fact Silva is trying to take credit and distance himself from why he wasn't playing in the first place. 

Part of the managers job is to tell the players things. I can't believe you've found a way to be annoyed about this.

Who am I kidding, of course I can believe it! :lol: 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Part of the managers job is to tell the players things. I can't believe you've found a way to be annoyed about this.

Who am I kidding, of course I can believe it! :lol: 

I've said similar previously. Unsure if it was Silva last time. Starting a sentence with "I" puts emphasis on yourself. It's a basic power move, just look at how often Trump uses it. 

By saying he'd told him what to do that takes away from the token credit to the lad at the end. 

7 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I've said similar previously. Unsure if it was Silva last time. Starting a sentence with "I" puts emphasis on yourself. It's a basic power move, just look at how often Trump uses it. 

By saying he'd told him what to do that takes away from the token credit to the lad at the end. 

Because Holgate went to him and asked what he needed to do. I’m unsure how else he’s supposed to word it. 

Manager does his job, explains in an interview, and is then criticised for it. Weird. I think you’re reading way too much into it. 

Personally I think the pair of them should be commended for the whole thing. The player for going to the manager and asking how he can improve (rather than being a moody player around the club) and then following those instructions, and the manager for being open and honest enough with that player (rather than seeing it as his authority being challenged).

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because Holgate went to him and asked what he needed to do. I’m unsure how else he’s supposed to word it. 

Manager does his job, explains in an interview, and is then criticised for it. Weird. I think you’re reading way too much into it. 

Personally I think the pair of them should be commended for the whole thing. The player for going to the manager and asking how he can improve (rather than being a moody player around the club) and then following those instructions, and the manager for being open and honest enough with that player (rather than seeing it as his authority being challenged).

"Mason [Holgate] understood our defensive idea really well since the first day. He is a clever player.

"But it is one thing if you know, another if you practice every single day.

I read this as the manager saying he wasn't ready. 

"Mason came to my office not just because he wasn’t playing, he wanted to know what he should do in a different way to improve.

"Sometimes it is up to them to work every single day in the way I think is best to perform and develop football players.

I read this as the manager dating he's now ready thanks to the manager telling him what to do. 

Holgate played under Koeman who I'd argue understands central defence more than Silva. To go from 14 games on average the past two years to 4 games last year when Keane was average at best is very poor from the manager. Similarly he under used the other young players who were already here. Kenny (Coleman average for large parts) and Davies (take your pick of the midfield who largely putting 6s at best in most weeks). 

i have been a fan of his for a long time.  people slated me for wanting him to play CB, they though he was a RB and not a good one.  i was a fan at west brom, people said it's a shite league and he was a wingback, still not a cb.  glad to see people are coming around on this.  he will be a better player than his old teammate (from barnsley) John Stones.  He may not command the transfer fee Stones did but he stays healthy and is very solid (unlike stones).

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

He was solid again but it was very naive of him for the goal. He showed Alli inside onto his right foot when it was easier to push him wide. 

If that was Keane I would have expected a much more negative reaction. 

I think he would be disappointed watching it back. Showed Alli onto his stronger foot and also took the action away from his preferred side to tackle or block. Literally could have been a training cone in that moment. 

He still has some things to work on - not alone in that but he is positive. Mina has impressed the most though. I’m just about done with Keane.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

He was solid again but it was very naive of him for the goal. He showed Alli inside onto his right foot when it was easier to push him wide. 

If that was Keane I would have expected a much more negative reaction. 

He's got goalside, just unlucky that Alli cut in just as he's getting into position. If he's not in that position Alli would had clear sight at goal.