IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

11 hours ago, pete0 said:

He's got goalside, just unlucky that Alli cut in just as he's getting into position. If he's not in that position Alli would had clear sight at goal. 

It's not unlucky. They are drilled all week as to what foot a player prefers. Holgate just over did it and then made himself as small as possible, presumably attempting to avoid dangling a leg and giving a pen away. 

He was solid enough and I certainly dont think he was any worse than Keane but these are the same naive errors he has made in previous seasons. 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

It’s funny that 2 of the highlights in the last couple of games, as few as they’ve been, have been Holgate and Davies. Really good to see they’re working hard to be recognised and being given the chance to show they can step up. 

Think you credit the manager far too much. They've already shown they can do this under Koeman 2 years ago! It's took injuries for them to even get a sniff of football with Silva. How many points would they have saved us or contributed to last year. Keane cost us loads of goals as did Gana. Both also help with the tempo better than the other two as well. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

It's not unlucky. They are drilled all week as to what foot a player prefers. Holgate just over did it and then made himself as small as possible, presumably attempting to avoid dangling a leg and giving a pen away. 

He was solid enough and I certainly dont think he was any worse than Keane but these are the same naive errors he has made in previous seasons. 

Think you're being very harsh on him. He's cut across and done the best to cut him out, if anything Mina is too rash going for the ball but I'd put all the blame on Iwobi. To get into the position Alli runs into Holgate would have to slow his run and if he did that Alli would just be clear on goal and have no reason to cut in and the fans would murder Holgate for it. 

(goal at 56 seconds) 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Think you're being very harsh on him. He's cut across and done the best to cut him out, if anything Mina is too rash going for the ball but I'd put all the blame on Iwobi. To get into the position Alli runs into Holgate would have to slow his run and if he did that Alli would just be clear on goal and have no reason to cut in and the fans would murder Holgate for it. 

First and foremost I agree that Iwobi's mistake is huge and everything from there is reactionary which makes your decision making so much more important.

I don't agree about Mina. He is isolated and if he doesn't step in and try and stop the ball he will be out of the game anyway, especially 1 v 1 against Son. It's risk v reward but I wouldn't critise that decision because he has two quicker players who have the run at him anyway running either side of him and the cover he does have in Holgate is there to sweep behind him. It's actually the exact reaction you would want from them both. They are working together, one to press and the other to sweep in behind. 

As I mentioned everything following the mistake is reactionary and Holgate doesn't very well to get back into a position to defend the goal. You can tell from Alli's first touch that he wants it on his right. From that point he is only ever cutting inside but all of the preparation before the game would have been about showing Alli to his left foot. Add in to the situation that Sidibe is also back. Im not sure what it is that cathes him out but I dont think he gets close enough after the first touch. I think you might be right in that he is expecting him to go down the line and therefore he is giving himself a better angle for that rather than the cutback. If he is half a yard closer to Alli then he gives himself a better chance of making the tackle. It looks to me as though he is defending against Son rather than Alli. He is expecting more pace and someone who is probably more likely to take it on his left. If he pushes Alli left he probably also pushes him into Sidibe.

I just think it's naive defending from him in the end because I think he could have done something about it, especially when you consider the player he was up against.

If that was Keane I doubt he would have got back but I do think he would have been more likely to make the challenge or at the very least slow Alli down because he is actually quite good at getting a toe on the ball in those situations. Then again Keane would have been skinned by Son a dozen times by then so don't think I am saying he would have been a better option. 

With hindsight purely looking at the phase following the pass, Mina should chase back and Holgate them go towards Son. Mina stepping up completely opened up the option on the left for Son and made the decision and pass easier. 

Looking at the defending in the next phase with Holgate on Alli I just don't see what more Holgate could have done. He's in two minds for a reason and was only a fraction away. The play was all in Alli's favour at that point

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be honest I never thought he would make it with us, as he admitted himself he was lacking in the physicality side of the PL. 

Hats off to Walcott for taking him under his wing, how many after training go to the gym everyday off their own backs, Walcott is showing him good skill sets if you want along and successful career, and fair play to Holgate that recognising hard work pays off. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I also thought he showed a lot of the reasons why he had struggled to maintain a first team spot. His decision making was poor at times and he was shrugged off the ball by Pukki at one point when he was last man. He seemed a bit rattled at times and when he is rattled he loses his concentration.

Just looked too young and nieve I thought today. Got bullied

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Not sure what happened but fucking hell. He wanted the ball all the time, took shots on when it was on. He was a general today.  Credit to dunc for allowing it 

Great move by DF to put him in the midfield.  Had a very good game and surprised me with the composure he showed. 

20 hours ago, nogs said:

We shouldn't need to be thinking about turning him into a midfielder. But he proved today he is a very talented footballer the way he adapted, didn't look out of place at all. 

I completely agree with this. I still have an issue in that I don't know where I would want to play him because I don't think he is good enough at CB to play week in week out but it showed that he is smarter than he looks (and sometimes acts). I could see him becoming a bit of a Neville, covering 2 or 3 positions but not really being good enough to hold down a position in one. 

34 minutes ago, StevO said:

He offered to play midfield, love that. The team needed someone and he put his hand up. Brilliant attitude. 

Shows the character of the lad! 

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've always rated him and have been on record many times saying he would be better than stones.  the funny thing is people wanted rid of him last year and the year before.  another martinez signing that's comes good.

we don't need the keane replacement, we already have it in Mason.  Keane can be the bench guy.

He is nowhere near as good as Stones. 

Do you not think he just makes too many mistakes for a CB? I also think he is too weak as well. It makes up for some of that with his attitude and aggression but we saw Pukka nudge him to the ground against Norwich. If DCL came up against him he would eat Mason alive. 

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He is nowhere near as good as Stones. 

Do you not think he just makes too many mistakes for a CB? I also think he is too weak as well. It makes up for some of that with his attitude and aggression but we saw Pukka nudge him to the ground against Norwich. If DCL came up against him he would eat Mason alive. 

i don't think you're factoring stones being so brittle into it.  stones is always injured. that itself makes his value so little to me.