Sign in to follow this  
c1982

Mason Holgate

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Not sure what happened but fucking hell. He wanted the ball all the time, took shots on when it was on. He was a general today.  Credit to dunc for allowing it 

Great move by DF to put him in the midfield.  Had a very good game and surprised me with the composure he showed. 

20 hours ago, nogs said:

We shouldn't need to be thinking about turning him into a midfielder. But he proved today he is a very talented footballer the way he adapted, didn't look out of place at all. 

I completely agree with this. I still have an issue in that I don't know where I would want to play him because I don't think he is good enough at CB to play week in week out but it showed that he is smarter than he looks (and sometimes acts). I could see him becoming a bit of a Neville, covering 2 or 3 positions but not really being good enough to hold down a position in one. 

34 minutes ago, StevO said:

He offered to play midfield, love that. The team needed someone and he put his hand up. Brilliant attitude. 

Shows the character of the lad! 

i've always rated him and have been on record many times saying he would be better than stones.  the funny thing is people wanted rid of him last year and the year before.  another martinez signing that's comes good.

we don't need the keane replacement, we already have it in Mason.  Keane can be the bench guy.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've always rated him and have been on record many times saying he would be better than stones.  the funny thing is people wanted rid of him last year and the year before.  another martinez signing that's comes good.

we don't need the keane replacement, we already have it in Mason.  Keane can be the bench guy.

He is nowhere near as good as Stones. 

Do you not think he just makes too many mistakes for a CB? I also think he is too weak as well. It makes up for some of that with his attitude and aggression but we saw Pukka nudge him to the ground against Norwich. If DCL came up against him he would eat Mason alive. 

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He is nowhere near as good as Stones. 

Do you not think he just makes too many mistakes for a CB? I also think he is too weak as well. It makes up for some of that with his attitude and aggression but we saw Pukka nudge him to the ground against Norwich. If DCL came up against him he would eat Mason alive. 

i don't think you're factoring stones being so brittle into it.  stones is always injured. that itself makes his value so little to me.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I for one didn’t think and still don’t think he will make it in the PL as a CH, for me he’s not strong enough and gets bullied far too easy by strikers, but as a DM he looks like he may have found the perfect position for his talents. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I for one didn’t think and still don’t think he will make it in the PL as a CH, for me he’s not strong enough and gets bullied far too easy by strikers, but as a DM he looks like he may have found the perfect position for his talents. 

If that’s a taster in his first game in that postition then wow 

23 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He’s already made it as a PL centre half though. 

He has played in the PL as a CH, but I don’t think he’s made the position his own, Everton will by 1 or 2 CH in the next couple of windows and he will lose his place in the team, that is my opinion and I don’t think any manager coming in will see him as a first choice CH. 

What a versatile player Holgate is. The fact that he doesn't look out of place in the midfield speaks volumes about his ability. If he's handled correctly I can see him going on to be a top player... hopefully for us.

50 minutes ago, Matt said:

I expect very rich clubs to be coming in for him if he keeps this up. I mean Barca elk 

Guessing you mean Barca "ilk" rather than a dirty big ruminant mammal type of thing😂

5 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

No no no. England call ups are always followed with a massive drop in form or injuries.

If we want to keep our best players and attract other top players we have to show that they can achieve their ambitions at this club, and that most definitely includes players getting international recognition 

10 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

No no no. England call ups are always followed with a massive drop in form or injuries.

Yes yes yes, just the fact that he has been considered for the England squad will in prove his confidence no end, and we as a club will benefit from that. 
That is his reward for playing well and that it hasn’t gone unnoticed will confirm to him he’s doing the right things, I’m made up for him. 

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If we want to keep our best players and attract other top players we have to show that they can achieve their ambitions at this club, and that most definitely includes players getting international recognition 

While I understand fans' reservations about international call-ups I equally find it fucking baffling. International football is what players want, and while we can't offer European football we need our players getting international recognition especially. 

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Newcastle and Bournemouth reported to have made offers for him.  ffs they're cheeky bastards if they think he would leave us to go there.

Agent fishing for a new contract I think. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Apparently Michael Keane is well better and mere fans like myself know less than Marco Silva... 

I don't think it's the right time to gloat about one that you think you've got right.... Tom Davies absolutely cost us on 2 goals tonight.

Holgate has been our best defender which isn't saying much.... but why was he and Mina doing sat down behind the goal line for the second goal???? They actually watched it all happen. 

Davies missed his header and stood still instead of getting behind the ball too..

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don't think it's the right time to gloat about one that you think you've got right.... Tom Davies absolutely cost us on 2 goals tonight.

This is the Holgate thread and a lot more players (plus the manager) to blame before Tom Davies. Said at the time £30 million for Keane was shocking when Holgate is better. Were you one of the ones to laugh? 

Fuck it I'll bite. Davies and Digne couldn't pass the ball out as no one else was showing for it. The senior players are cowards. 

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

Apparently Michael Keane is well better and mere fans like myself know less than Marco Silva... 

😂😂😏 The law of averages suggests you had to be right about one player eventually, congratulations !

Although I think everybody knew he was a good player anyway, the loan last season did his development the world of good 

I didn't think either of him or Mina played well. They had so little to do and they both could have cost us. They both played passes that put us under pressure. Holgate was rolled easily that would have led to a good chance if it weren't for Sidibe, he was caught too far ahead of the near post for the Joelinton header (same with Haller header last week) and Lord only knows why he didn't challenge for that header at the end of the game to win it for us. 

That was far from good enough in my opinion. He is better than that (which he showed in the mid point of the game).

On 22/01/2020 at 08:15, pete0 said:

This is the Holgate thread and a lot more players (plus the manager) to blame before Tom Davies. Said at the time £30 million for Keane was shocking when Holgate is better. Were you one of the ones to laugh? 

Fuck it I'll bite. Davies and Digne couldn't pass the ball out as no one else was showing for it. The senior players are cowards. 

I was never convinced by Keane since he got rolled so easily by lukaku when we played Burnley.  Too slow.

He did at times shoe games where you thought he had something.... but that's probably true with Davies really isn't it.

Here's the thing Pete.....it is possible that a players change in performances can change your opinion - you don't have to pin your colours to the mast.....  I know it can be a knock to the ego to admit a player proves you wrong but that's football.  Players improve and decline..... you don't have to make posts to fit your first opinion. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I was never convinced by Keane since he got rolled so easily by lukaku when we played Burnley.  Too slow.

He did at times shoe games where you thought he had something.... but that's probably true with Davies really isn't it.

Here's the thing Pete.....it is possible that a players change in performances can change your opinion - you don't have to pin your colours to the mast.....  I know it can be a knock to the ego to admit a player proves you wrong but that's football.  Players improve and decline..... you don't have to make posts to fit your first opinion. 

You were made up he came and thought he was better than Holgate. I didn't see any shouts from you last season for Holgate to come in for him. You only made the one comment but let's be honest that was more a dig at Lukaku to down play him scoring a goal. 

I changed my opinion on DCL, Koeman saw something in him that not many of us did. 

How was Davies at fault for both goals? 

Keane was the better player last season. No one was calling for the club to bring Holgate back from loan to go into the first team. Holgate has now improved way beyond anything he has ever done for us before, and hopefully he continues. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Keane was the better player last season. No one was calling for the club to bring Holgate back from loan to go into the first team. Holgate has now improved way beyond anything he has ever done for us before, and hopefully he continues. 

Holgate was our best defender under Koeman out of Williams, Jagielka and Keane. Got injured and was then never given a chance by Silva. Keane was average at best last year and should have been dropped which me and MJB were saying (I actually said he shouldn't have been bought in the first place). Whilst the majority of shirt memoried Evertonian were saying to sell him to the championship he's not good enough. 

Jags, Keane, Holgate then Williams in that order for me. Holgate has the best potential but he wasn’t ready to be relied on as a CB. I would’ve liked him to get more time but Coleman was ahead of him. The loan has helped him become the player we know he can be

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Holgate was our best defender under Koeman out of Williams, Jagielka and Keane. Got injured and was then never given a chance by Silva. Keane was average at best last year and should have been dropped which me and MJB were saying (I actually said he shouldn't have been bought in the first place). Whilst the majority of shirt memoried Evertonian were saying to sell him to the championship he's not good enough. 

he was excellent under koeman. i was surprised he was sent on loan i thought he was going to be our starting CB.