IGNORED

Ramiro Funes Mori

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

RIt's a strange one for me to let him go, it's not if though we have any CD better than him in the team at the moment.

When are we going to see some new faces it's alright getting rid of the dead wood but when you let players like Mori go you need to make sure you can replace them with better.

I think Holgate is better and Keane is on a par with him

I still think Jags , at 36, is our best CB and that speaks volumes for the lot of them

If it’s true the fee was £17.5m then I honestly believe it’s a no brainier to sell, hopefully we have someone lined up to go straight in to the starting XI

19 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think Holgate is better and Keane is on a par with him

I still think Jags , at 36, is our best CB and that speaks volumes for the lot of them

If it’s true the fee was £17.5m then I honestly believe it’s a no brainier to sell, hopefully we have someone lined up to go straight in to the starting XI

There is absolutely no way it was that much. I doubt they have a budget where they can pay that much- especially for an average centre half. It will be around 7 mil in my humble opinion.

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

Probs the first centre half on the team sheet given the current crop, and one of the few players we've got who has a winning mentality. Really don't see why we've sold. 

Jags, Williams, and Keane all should've been moved on first. 

The fact is to get where we want - none of our centre halves are good enough.

Jags is the best but too old. Williams is shite - ale house.  Keane I'm sorry but looks like a youth academy graduate - no better than Duffy was.  Holgate... I like him but needs development. 

So..... that leaves us requiring 3 or 4 centre halves unless the managers see Pennington or Gibson good enough to step up. Gibson I hear will make it as a very good centre half. 

Jags will play this year with a new partner. We ideally need a new partnership. 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The fact he s better than Williams is no basis to keep him, neither are good enough so we should get shut of both

Plus you cant control when you get an offer and how much they are. There is no point in rejecting what appears to be a great offer for Mori because you want Williams out the door first, where we might not receive a realistic offer. 

8 hours ago, Paddock said:

There is absolutely no way it was that much. I doubt they have a budget where they can pay that much- especially for an average centre half. It will be around 7 mil in my humble opinion.

I agree and don't think we can replace him for less than 20M, and then you got the risk of them being no better, if it was Williams there would be no risk.

I think we should have developed him, and Jags how much has he got left in the tank we could now find ourselves looking for 3 CD not a good situation to be in.

4 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

supposedly nearer the £10m mark , still an excellent deal for us  

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/true-cost-ramiro-funes-moris-14817545

hence the undisclosed.  still no shame in breaking even but we need to replace him or maybe markangelo holgate pennington and foulds are in beast mode.

21 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The fact he s better than Williams is no basis to keep him, neither are good enough so we should get shut of both

It’s nothing to do with not replacing him because he’s better than Williams and everything to do with the fact he’s only 27 is naturally left footed and our 2 other centre halves are 34 plus- so we’re left with Keane who had a mare of a first season and Holgate who don’t know if he’ll make it. 

We now need 2 new centre halves and defo one who is left footed. Mori done ok when he played, he scored goals and played like he cared. I honestly think we’ve dropped a bollock selling him.

2 hours ago, Paddock said:

It’s nothing to do with not replacing him because he’s better than Williams and everything to do with the fact he’s only 27 is naturally left footed and our 2 other centre halves are 34 plus- so we’re left with Keane who had a mare of a first season and Holgate who don’t know if he’ll make it. 

We now need 2 new centre halves and defo one who is left footed. Mori done ok when he played, he scored goals and played like he cared. I honestly think we’ve dropped a bollock selling him.

I suppose it all depends on your opinion of Mori, for me he was a poor mans Joey Yobbo.

I think Jags , Holgate and Keane would have started before him so to get a good fee for him is a no brainier. I would be very surprised if we don't bring in another CB who would go straight into the first team. We know we need to trim the squad down so getting a good fee for your 4/5th choice CB is good business

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I suppose it all depends on your opinion of Mori, for me he was a poor mans Joey Yobbo.

I think Jags , Holgate and Keane would have started before him so to get a good fee for him is a no brainier. I would be very surprised if we don't bring in another CB who would go straight into the first team. We know we need to trim the squad down so getting a good fee for your 4/5th choice CB is good business

I don't have good memories of yobo if I'm honest.  Initially he looked immense.... then you noticed he had issues with his concentration.

When you have seen the likes of weir, gough, Watson,  stubbs, ratcliffe - you get a good feel for the mental side of the game a defender needs to have. Sadly the closest we have to that is an aged Jags - a defender who is massively underrated imo. 

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

I don't have good memories of yobo if I'm honest.  Initially he looked immense.... then you noticed he had issues with his concentration.

When you have seen the likes of weir, gough, Watson,  stubbs, ratcliffe - you get a good feel for the mental side of the game a defender needs to have. Sadly the closest we have to that is an aged Jags - a defender who is massively underrated imo. 

Very true Jags has been huge player for us. 

13 hours ago, hafnia said:

Been outstanding.  £4m - bargain.   Bit of a dodgy start but once into centre half and especially with lescott alongside him we looked great. 

Along with Baines and Cahill, one of our best signings pound for pound.

Unbelievable that we got 3 players of such quality, and importance to us, for a little over £10m. You'd be looking at at least £40m for the same players, at the same clubs, and level of their careers, in today's crazy world.

55 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Unbelievable that we got 3 players of such quality, and importance to us, for a little over £10m. You'd be looking at at least £40m for the same players, at the same clubs, and level of their careers, in today's crazy world.

I think we should all agree that what ever else you may think of Moyes he was good in transfer market, he brought in some great players for no money and when he was forced to sell made sure we got top dollar, when you think of it he would make some team a great DoF. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Peak Baines today's market = £60m 

Jags - £40m

Cahill - £50m

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I think we should all agree that what ever else you may think of Moyes he was good in transfer market, he brought in some great players for no money and when he was forced to sell made sure we got top dollar, when you think of it he would make some team a great DoF. 

His signings at the higher end of our budget were suspect at times- but no doubt his prudence saved us.

4 hours ago, hafnia said:

Peak Baines today's market = £60m 

Jags - £40m

Cahill - £50m

We didn’t sign them at their peaks, they hit that point when already with us. No doubt they’d be worth a fortune when They’d hit their straps with us but I’m just talking about the time we brought them in.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We didn’t sign them at their peaks, they hit that point when already with us. No doubt they’d be worth a fortune when They’d hit their straps with us but I’m just talking about the time we brought them in.

Yeah difficult to ascertain value now. Moyes really dipped into the "very good player at a lower club/foreign club" and got Baines, lescott, jags, arteta, pienaar, Cahill....

22 hours ago, hafnia said:

His signings at the higher end of our budget were suspect at times- but no doubt his prudence saved us.

14 hours ago, hafnia said:

Yeah difficult to ascertain value now. Moyes really dipped into the "very good player at a lower club/foreign club" and got Baines, lescott, jags, arteta, pienaar, Cahill....

It was weird that the more money he spent the more suspect the signing was. He did a great job of buying the right characters who were also very rounded players generally but also added something extra (Lescotts pace, Baines left foot, Arteta & Pienaar superb footballers, Cahill a warrior in the air). You can add Distin, Howard, Coleman, and Saha to that list too. Sometimes it didnt work out with the likes of Drenthe, Beattie, and VDM but he was always trying to buy players with a point to prove. 

It was such a shame than Vaughan could never stay fit as I think he would have really suited the work ethic of that side and he was a great finisher too. 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

It was weird that the more money he spent the more suspect the signing was. He did a great job of buying the right characters who were also very rounded players generally but also added something extra (Lescotts pace, Baines left foot, Arteta & Pienaar superb footballers, Cahill a warrior in the air). You can add Distin, Howard, Coleman, and Saha to that list too. Sometimes it didnt work out with the likes of Drenthe, Beattie, and VDM but he was always trying to buy players with a point to prove. 

It was such a shame than Vaughan could never stay fit as I think he would have really suited the work ethic of that side and he was a great finisher too. 

Vaughan was a real player in the making. Massive shame what happened. Electric pace, great movement and workrare and he could finish. 

On 25/06/2018 at 05:44, Bailey said:

Glad someone put a shout in there for Coleman. Maybe the best value for any player on any team in the PL era.

• 3 months later...