IGNORED

Bernard

The press, the press that use facts to back up their stories, and do good investigative journalism are vital imho. They inform, hold power to account and shine a light on the dark places. Just have to remember that every writer has an opinion and we all have our own bias. As long as you know that when looking at the news it's ok. People should never get their news from just o e source. 

Too many of the internet blog and news sites, use facts that are incorrect, out of context or spurious. Info wars et al.

13 minutes ago, London Blue said:

The press, the press that use facts to back up their stories, and do good investigative journalism are vital imho. They inform, hold power to account and shine a light on the dark places. Just have to remember that every writer has an opinion and we all have our own bias. As long as you know that when looking at the news it's ok. People should never get their news from just o e source. 

Too many of the internet blog and news sites, use facts that are incorrect, out of context or spurious. Info wars et al.

It's not the journalists who worry me, it's the people who own the press and dictate the agenda. Although as someone who had a brief career in journalism I can state that it is an industry that attracts a lot of picks, especially in sports. 

58 minutes ago, nogs said:

It's not the journalists who worry me, it's the people who own the press and dictate the agenda. Although as someone who had a brief career in journalism I can state that it is an industry that attracts a lot of picks, especially in sports. 

True, not such a problem for most serious news outlets as their staff would not put up with it. Murdoch is the exception the man is like a bond villain. 

16 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The press are notoriously bias and print only what suits their agenda. Of course they are light years ahead of conspiracy sites and fake news nonsense from social media, but the trust that the public has in them has been eroded. You can blame that on all manner of things such as phone hacking, paedophile scandals etc.

Define press. 

All news, even the BBC which tries harder than most to be impartial has some bias, as it's human nature to have bias on all things. The phone hacking scandal primarily hit the tabloids as they were after celeb gossip, but also shone a light on other dodgy practices reported by the Gardian. 

The paedophile scandal is a difficult one as there is a massive amount of under reporting of this crime type, especially from the 70s. Difficult to know who to believe, but such reporting uncovered the crimes committed by Jimmy saville etc.

Remember that the press uncovered the cash for questions, dodgy Iraq dossier, and brought the  famine in Etheopia to the world's attention. 

To paraphrase de Maistre  "people get the press and new organisations they deserve"

He also said "False opinions are like false money, struck first of all by guilty men and thereafter circulated by honest people who perpetuate the crime without knowing what they are doing" 

Very apt, my hero of the day.

Just now, TallPaul1878 said:

Since I mentioned The Guardian I am primarily talking about the printed press.

Whilst I have no doubt that reporters do good work I am, as a previous poster has mentioned, more concerned about the ownership of these news outlets.

I don't buy any newspapers, I mostly get my news from aggregator sites that collate articles from a variety of outlets.

Best way to do it!

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Define press. 

All news, even the BBC which tries harder than most to be impartial has some bias, as it's human nature to have bias on all things. The phone hacking scandal primarily hit the tabloids as they were after celeb gossip, but also shone a light on other dodgy practices reported by the Gardian. 

The paedophile scandal is a difficult one as there is a massive amount of under reporting of this crime type, especially from the 70s. Difficult to know who to believe, but such reporting uncovered the crimes committed by Jimmy saville etc.

Remember that the press uncovered the cash for questions, dodgy Iraq dossier, and brought the  famine in Etheopia to the world's attention. 

To paraphrase de Maistre  "people get the press and new organisations they deserve"

He also said "False opinions are like false money, struck first of all by guilty men and thereafter circulated by honest people who perpetuate the crime without knowing what they are doing" 

Very apt, my hero of the day.

The BBC have become more biased than any other outlet for me. Not necessarily in sports, but in politics massively. 

4 hours ago, aaron said:

Why would he be in broadgreen when Richarlison and Digne had medicals at PMM?

Different for different players. Walcott had his at broadgreen and a load more of them.

10 minutes ago, Paddock said:

He’s not even due to fly in until tomorrow morning according to the reliable journos.

I told ya fat Sam was coming and everyone said it was a load of shit. I'm telling us he had his medical.