IGNORED

John Stones

Pedant alert.

As he's now thirty-five that would've been more than fifteen years ago ;).

My apologies... how many months was I out by?

Although I'd have to check my sources carefully I'm sure his good form lasted at least some way into the formative years of his early 20s...

Sky Sports News are reporting that Everton have rejected a £30m bid from Chelsea for John Stones.

BREAKING NEWS: TOFFEES REJECT NEW STONES BID
Sky Sports understand that Chelsea have made a third bid for Everton's central defender John Stones - and that the offer, this time of £30m, has been rejected by the Toffees.
Throughout the saga Everton have remained tight-lipped, only to say that Stones was not for sale at any price.
Edited by Matt

For some reason they feel entitled to sign him....

It's like some millionaire knocking on the front door to someones 2 bedroom terrace and writing a cheque for £250k saying - "here you go... i'm doing you a favour, you can buy a similar house and a car, I want this one"

The fact that there is no for sale sign means nothing to them, they are assuming the person would be over joyed to sell as they have "judged them as being of lesser means"

The press and media have really annoyed me in all of this. Disgusting behaviour. All credit to stones for performing well and keeping his head on the game.

I've thought along along deep down he would stay. I've two-ed and fro-ed onthe surfacce yes and no-ing but my gut feeling all along has beenhe'll stay. My gut has now changed to he'll go. The noises coming from certain quarters are giving me the vibes he will go. My head still tells me no though because we have zero experienced back up cb.

I guess there are two basic questions:

1. Will we refuse to sell no matter how ridiculously high the bid? Even if RM repeats every day until 9/1, "John Stones is not for sale at any bid, period," is that literally true?

2. Are Chelsea (or any other club) willing to test Everton with a ridiculously high bid?

And then, if the answer to (1) above is, "No," and to (2), "Yes," some follow-on questions:

3. How ridiculously high will Chelsea or any club bid, and at what point would Everton sell?

4. £35 m? Probably not high enough for Everton to accept.

5. £40m? Tempting, but Everton resist.

6. £50m? Probably yes.

7. £35m + Cuadrado? This seems the most ridiculously high of all, so yes.

I'll hope the answer to question 1 is Yes, and if No, then make it beyond ridiculous: £50m + Cuadrado.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Oscar wouldn't come here. Let's be realistic we want cold hard cash. I think we should deal at £40m if I'm honest. As long as it all goes towards the squad. If we can squeeze anymore fair enough but I think that's about the money. The board will shake at £35m IMO

Oscar wouldn't come here. Let's be realistic we want cold hard cash. I think we should deal at £40m if I'm honest. As long as it all goes towards the squad. If we can squeeze anymore fair enough but I think that's about the money. The board will shake at £35m IMO

Of course making it a cash-and-player deal would be slightly better because Barnsley get a piece of the money. Problem with Chelsea players is they have high wages and looking at their squad they don't have fringe players that we could use, IMO. Remy maybe the closest who Chelsea might be willing to let go? No idea if they are, but would probably be the best fit.

They can't wrap their heads around why we wouldn't be flattered to accept their generous donation. The level of entitlement is disgusting.

Can you blame their fans for feeling entitled though, the way the media fawn around them and ex-players talk shite about how Stones should go there, of course the fans will expect him to move. The disrespect shown by the media in all of this has been appalling, shows just how deep the lines of money and patronage weight the game in favour of the few. Really pisses me off.

Can you blame their fans for feeling entitled though, the way the media fawn around them and ex-players talk shite about how Stones should go there, of course the fans will expect him to move. The disrespect shown by the media in all of this has been appalling, shows just how deep the lines of money and patronage weight the game in favour of the few. Really pisses me off.

I blame the system, the club and the media. The fans simply reproduce what already exists.

I'm sure there is a contingent of Chelsea fans that find it all absurd. But they are probably very old and very racist!

50 or fuck off. Seriously. City are forking out 45 for that cb today. He's English, younger and is going to get better. It's 50 fucking million you bunch of crass, soleless scabs. FIFTY FUCKING MILLION or take your head for a wobble down the Kings Rd.

spot on was just going to say the same thing. i really hope Bill and RM get a backbone here, i'm worried to death over this. 2 more weeks till TDD.

50 or fuck off. Seriously. City are forking out 45 for that cb today. He's English, younger and is going to get better. It's 50 fucking million you bunch of crass, soleless scabs. FIFTY FUCKING MILLION or take your head for a wobble down the Kings Rd.

Calm it soft lad ?

The best thing for Stones is to stay at Everton and play every game he us available for. At Chelsea, he'll get a fraction of games and therefore less nurturing of his obvious talent. Too often the English youngsters are moving to 'big 4 clubs' to soon and stagnating.

Stones still only has 4 England caps and only 56 (?) Appearances for us. Loads left to learn.

He seems a level headed lad. I think he knows what's best. But what about his agent? Those vultures smell payouts more than skanky dole street residents.

If we really are no longer a selling club, if we really do not need to sell...and if we really have turned down £30 million...than an extra £5mill won't cut it for me. It has to be around the £50 million mark. That's not to say I think he is worth that much. But natural economics say that if you want to buy something off someone who doesn't want to sell, and you really want it...you have to pay a shit load more than the market value.

For me, far from being angry with Chelsea and Jose (although it is annoying for other reasons), I'm glad they've spoke out about him and put in a few offers. Because it shows how much they want him. That puts our club in the driving seat of all negotiations. We'll, so long as everything being said is true.