IGNORED

Michael Keane

I know it doesn't take much but I was surprised to see that statistically (uh oh...stats!!!), he's actually one of our better players. And so far as defensive players go, he's by far our best performer.

Wins in many areas: Interceptions, Clearances, Blocked Shots, Tackles % Won, Arial Duels % Won. Even his pass accuracy % is quite high considering his average pass length is several metres more than others.

He doesn't do too bad against others in the league either, considering our shite performances do far.

Food for thought. Maybe a bit of hope there yet.

Just now, Newty82 said:

I know it doesn't take much but I was surprised to see that statistically (uh oh...stats!!!), he's actually one of our better players. And so far as defensive players go, he's by far our best performer.

Wins in many areas: Interceptions, Clearances, Blocked Shots, Tackles % Won, Arial Duels % Won. Even his pass accuracy % is quite high considering his average pass length is several metres more than others.

He doesn't do too bad against others in the league either, considering our shite performances do far.

Food for thought. Maybe a bit of hope there yet.

Thats why you should never rely solely on stats. Playing a big part of 3 of the goals we conceded at the weekend shows there is a problem!

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Thats why you should never rely solely on stats. Playing a big part of 3 of the goals we conceded at the weekend shows there is a problem!

I never do. But they do tell a story...

I think he was shite on Sunday. But, again, as I remember it, the team was shite in just about every department...that shows the problem. And the stats are for the season, not one game.

Again, it's all about this honing in on individuals when said individuals are doing more than several other players.

I ain't judging too much at the moment as we have collectively been very poor.

10 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I never do. But they do tell a story...

I think he was shite on Sunday. But, again, as I remember it, the team was shite in just about every department...that shows the problem. And the stats are for the season, not one game.

Again, it's all about this honing in on individuals when said individuals are doing more than several other players.

I ain't judging too much at the moment as we have collectively been very poor.

That bottom paragraph is worth keeping in mind because it's hard to look good in a shit team. It's an excuse I use all the time ;)

Just now, MC11 said:

He had absolute dogshit playing next to him. Right across the back four. I'm still not sure about him but FFS imagine playing next to Kenny, Jagielka, Williams and Baines right now. 3 are completely finished the other is nowhere near ready

Record this moment in the TT archives...

I concur.

Fuck, that was hard to do.

What hasnt helped him with regards to Kenny is not so much that it's Kenny...but that it has also been Holgate and Martina. Plus a mix of Jags and Williams on the other side. How do you build a good understanding with forever changing partners? But then that's our problem as a whole this season.

My (faint) hope for him is that John Stones was a laughing stock when he first went to City, he was fucking up on a near constant basis and their fans were tearing into him, yet by all accounts he's been immense this season. Now, of course, he's had Pep to tutor him, which counts for something, but still...I think there's a lot of talent in Keane and he needs someone to bring it out. 

1 hour ago, MC11 said:

He had absolute dogshit playing next to him. Right across the back four. I'm still not sure about him but FFS imagine playing next to Kenny, Jagielka, Williams and Baines right now. 3 are completely finished the other is nowhere near ready

Have to agree with this really... sadly Kenny - however much of a prospect we may have - has really struggled in our current situation. I want him to succeed but don’t think he looks as good as the deserved hype from u23s/ youth World Cup he earned.

9 hours ago, c1982 said:

Have to agree with this really... sadly Kenny - however much of a prospect we may have - has really struggled in our current situation. I want him to succeed but don’t think he looks as good as the deserved hype from u23s/ youth World Cup he earned.

He struggled to start with but I think he has been our best player for the last 3 or 4 games. Defensively he has improved massively in a short period of time.

55 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He struggled to start with but I think he has been our best player for the last 3 or 4 games. Defensively he has improved massively in a short period of time.

I've been mostly impressed with how he's grown defensively, but hugely disappointed in his attacking play. I expected so much more in that respect and he's offered next to nothing. I'm hoping that that is just down to the team as a whole being a shambles in terms of attack, and that if that clicks for the team then we'll see what he can really do.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've been mostly impressed with how he's grown defensively, but hugely disappointed in his attacking play. I expected so much more in that respect and he's offered next to nothing. I'm hoping that that is just down to the team as a whole being a shambles in terms of attack, and that if that clicks for the team then we'll see what he can really do.

I think it is because we have been so shit. Once we start holding onto the ball again,  he should be able to break forward.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

He’s definitely been one of our better players but they’ve all been very poor, including Kenny, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, c1982 said:

He’s definitely been one of our better players but they’ve all been very poor, including Kenny, in my opinion.

Kenny was excellent tonight... it probably helped not playing next to a statue. Having so few defenders actually helped tonight as Holgate wouldn’t have played right cb with all fit - I hope it continues.

On Williams, again credit where it’s due, he was excellent as the senior cb with his mate Holgate (I read Holgate saying Williams is his best mate somewhere).

59 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Kenny was excellent tonight... it probably helped not playing next to a statue. Having so few defenders actually helped tonight as Holgate wouldn’t have played right cb with all fit - I hope it continues.

On Williams, again credit where it’s due, he was excellent as the senior cb with his mate Holgate (I read Holgate saying Williams is his best mate somewhere).

Even ignoring that ridiculous lunge for the PK, excellent is still a bridge too far.  He did well enough, but that moment of madness could easily have turned into a doom spiral.  

38 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Even ignoring that ridiculous lunge for the PK, excellent is still a bridge too far.  He did well enough, but that moment of madness could easily have turned into a doom spiral.  

But for that moment of stupidity I thought he was near faultless. The number of balls he cleared from the front post was impressive. Holgate didn't put a foot wrong either. We werent exactly tested but at the same time they dealt with almost everything that came their way.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

But for that moment of stupidity I thought he was near faultless. The number of balls he cleared from the front post was impressive. Holgate didn't put a foot wrong either. We werent exactly tested but at the same time they dealt with almost everything that came their way.

Agreed on Williams. Apart from the penalty he was superb. 

Dont agree about Holgate though. He started the game very sloppily and was lucky not give a goal away. Once he got over his nerves or whatever he was brilliant though. 

20 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Agreed on Williams. Apart from the penalty he was superb. 

Dont agree about Holgate though. He started the game very sloppily and was lucky not give a goal away. Once he got over his nerves or whatever he was brilliant though. 

I missed the first 20 mins so that probably explains it!

• 4 weeks later...

Think this lad might be our worst signing ever, not on talent but overall cost and effectiveness. In short he adds nothing to the squad and cost a fortune. £30m and he'll be 5th choice once Mori is fit and only because of his price tag as he's no better than Pennington, Browning, Galloway, Foulds, and Feeney. 

There no way he has been scouted fully, never stood out to me and in the game against us when I focused on him, as we were linked, Mee was the standout.

All I can surmise is that Walsh is a moneyball fraud. Pick on stats and then pure luck if it works. Would anyone pick Gana over Kante? As that's what Walsh done at Leicester only Villa pipped them. Bet Keane's stats are one of the best in the league last year as there's no way he's been scouted from the stands. Straight away you'd see how much he struggles with nippy players. Flat footed, turns like a bus, slower than me nan would be the notes in your little book on him. Rather have brought Duffy back. 

24 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’ve never really seen Foulds or Feeney play so couldn’t really comment on them but he is way better than Pennington Galloway or Browning

The problem is he was being asked to do things he isn’t comfortable with and his confidence was totally shot as a result
I think he will come good once he gets his confidence back, thought he was excellent against Chelsea, and he will be better than Jags, Williams and Mori

Quality performance from the lad yesterday, so assured, won some great tackles and headers. Looked more the player we thought we signed. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

There no way he has been scouted fully, never stood out to me and in the game against us when I focused on him, as we were linked, Mee was the standout.

But our scouts and England scouts rated/rate him ahead of Mee.

Is this your new whipping boy while Gana is injured? You always seem to need one:lol:.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think he will come good once he gets his confidence back, thought he was excellent against Chelsea, and he will be better than Jags, Williams and Mori

Considering that two of them are past their sell by date, and the other one is a permanent feature in the medical room,  that won't be difficult Dunc.