IGNORED

Michael Keane

11 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Holgate and Williams should be the pairing as we've actually kept clean sheets with them. As soon as Keane has come back in we've started to lose games. 

Kept a clean sheet against Chelsea and West Brom with him in tho.

I agree that Williams and Holgate have been our best pairing, tho I would like to see Holgate and Keane next season.

25 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Holgate and Williams should be the pairing as we've actually kept clean sheets with them. As soon as Keane has come back in we've started to lose games. 

Agreed.

Williams is by far our best CB and Holgate is his best partner. Fit the rest around them two.

• 5 weeks later...

Played very well against Leicester tonight. Hopefully a lot of his poor form was down to returning from that gashed ankle too soon and he can rebuild his confidence now. 

He did give me a moment of laughter though. When he tried to get his head to the ball, misjudged it, the ball hit the grass and bounced up to smack him in the face :lol: 

29 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Played very well against Leicester tonight. Hopefully a lot of his poor form was down to returning from that gashed ankle too soon and he can rebuild his confidence now. 

He did give me a moment of laughter though. When he tried to get his head to the ball, misjudged it, the ball hit the grass and bounced up to smack him in the face :lol: 

Like allot of our players I just want him to get some confidence and form back so he can hit the ground running next season.

10 hours ago, MC11 said:

I thought he was awful, beaten in the air for the goal. Turned far too easy a couple of times. He's a massive flop IMO. Too slow 

I thought he was better but still only looked good because Leicester were fucking awful. 

He played some nice balls into midfield which helped us control the game especially compared to Jags skewing it into row z!

13 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

He lost out to Ndidi for the header that went off the bar. Could easily be a very different conversion on Keane today. It will take some convincing for me. Still think he's far too slow. 

Also won a big header for the second goal.

he was left with Maguire and ndidi to deal with by himself. Thought he was good and hope he keeps getting better.

54 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

You ok babe ?

Thought he did ok as it goes, nothing special but solid enough 7/10 performance , although not quite sure what that has to do with Michael Keane ??

What are you going to do when he gets the boot? Seriously your man crush is beyond normal. In fact it's scary. 7/10??? FFS he's been 3/10 for 2 years +

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He’s got no sort of consistency whatsoever. 

He played well against Watford and then served up that shit show today. He did the same after playing well against Leicester. 

Just when I think he’s going to settle down and be who I hoped he’d be, he plays like he did today 🙈

I just can't understand how this was a player who was being talked of as the long term solution for England at CB a season ago and commanded a near £30m transfer fee. I was only watching in patches today but I must have seen him get completely done positionally three or four times, mainly by that we'll known genius of forward movement Ashley Barnes. That's nothing to do with coaching, tactics, pace - that's just an absolute glaring lack of ability and understanding at the top level. Pickford was at fault for their first goal, but no goalkeeper would expect their CB to leave such a gaping hole down the channel. Fuck who's playing in the back four with him, fuck who the manager is - can you ever, ever imagine a Ratcliffe, Watson or Keown playing that badly? Never in a million years, he just looks absolutely clueless. We'd do well to get 10m back for him. 

11 minutes ago, nogs said:

I just can't understand how this was a player who was being talked of as the long term solution for England at CB a season ago and commanded a near £30m transfer fee. I was only watching in patches today but I must have seen him get completely done positionally three or four times, mainly by that we'll known genius of forward movement Ashley Barnes. That's nothing to do with coaching, tactics, pace - that's just an absolute glaring lack of ability and understanding at the top level. Pickford was at fault for their first goal, but no goalkeeper would expect their CB to leave such a gaping hole down the channel. Fuck who's playing in the back four with him, fuck who the manager is - can you ever, ever imagine a Ratcliffe, Watson or Keown playing that badly? Never in a million years, he just looks absolutely clueless. We'd do well to get 10m back for him. 

I can only come to the complete opposite conclusion after todays game.

At Burnley he was a part of a tight defensive unit. Everyone knew their job, he had tight protection from his other CB, the FB and midfielders.

I thought it was really interesting to see how they mainly targeted Keane for the physical battle. They largely left Williams alone, but they peppered Keane and he wilted time and time again. That shows a manager that knows a weakness in a player, who had built a system previously where he was as unexposed as he could be, who then put into a much more open & attacking system is completely exposed.

You would hope that a player would have enough between their ears to read situations and make good decisions in game but they cant and dont. The majority of players need to be coached within an inch of their lives and Keane is without doubt one of those players. There is absolutely no way he is going to Russia this summer.

14 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I can only come to the complete opposite conclusion after todays game.

At Burnley he was a part of a tight defensive unit. Everyone knew their job, he had tight protection from his other CB, the FB and midfielders.

I thought it was really interesting to see how they mainly targeted Keane for the physical battle. They largely left Williams alone, but they peppered Keane and he wilted time and time again. That shows a manager that knows a weakness in a player, who had built a system previously where he was as unexposed as he could be, who then put into a much more open & attacking system is completely exposed.

You would hope that a player would have enough between their ears to read situations and make good decisions in game but they cant and dont. The majority of players need to be coached within an inch of their lives and Keane is without doubt one of those players. There is absolutely no way he is going to Russia this summer.

If you need coaching that much you shouldn't be playing at the top level. Good players perform regardless of what's going on around them. Sure, Dyche seems very good at getting his team to be more than the sum of his parts. But it shows a massive failing on the part of our scouting set up not to notice his glaring weaknesses. 

I'm also not sure I can agree with your suggestion that we are 'open and attacking'... 

1 minute ago, nogs said:

If you need coaching that much you shouldn't be playing at the top level. Good players perform regardless of what's going on around them. Sure, Dyche seems very good at getting his team to be more than the sum of his parts. But it shows a massive failing on the part of our scouting set up not to notice his glaring weaknesses. 

I'm also not sure I can agree with your suggestion that we are 'open and attacking'... 

That's not true at all. Plenty of very good players have under-performed in the wrong conditions. Look at what happened in Chelsea's run before Mourinho was sacked. In the other extreme look at how good De Bruyne has become under Pep. Thats due to great management and coaching combined with a player with outstanding talent. Great coaching hides cracks in the player. Thats what Dyche did for Keane. He made him a better player than he actually is and when he played against him, he knew his weakness and exposed it.

Attacking system is probably the wrong word but its definitely more open. We aren't anywhere near as organised, he has Cuco alongside him who offers no protection, Williams is hit and miss and Gueye is similar in terms of the protection he offers. At Burnley he would know exactly where his CB is, how far away his FB is and all the time having the protection of two defensive midfielders in front of him.

15 minutes ago, Bailey said:

That's not true at all. Plenty of very good players have under-performed in the wrong conditions. Look at what happened in Chelsea's run before Mourinho was sacked. In the other extreme look at how good De Bruyne has become under Pep. Thats due to great management and coaching combined with a player with outstanding talent. Great coaching hides cracks in the player. Thats what Dyche did for Keane. He made him a better player than he actually is and when he played against him, he knew his weakness and exposed it.

Attacking system is probably the wrong word but its definitely more open. We aren't anywhere near as organised, he has Cuco alongside him who offers no protection, Williams is hit and miss and Gueye is similar in terms of the protection he offers. At Burnley he would know exactly where his CB is, how far away his FB is and all the time having the protection of two defensive midfielders in front of him.

De Bruyne was great before Pep.