IGNORED

Michael Keane

50 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

sam's style suits him more as dyche is also a parked bus and counter type guy.  no surprise here.  let's hope we can recoup the cost this summer if we decided to offload him.

No way we'll get 24m.

Amazing as it seems we could've bought Ben Mee or Tarkowski off Burnley and have been far better off. Particularly Tarkowski...

Keane hasn't done because he's not played in an in form team nor had a consistent partner at centerback, but dear God I don't see how much better it gets given how limited his mobility is. Whoever is paired next to him will always have to do his job and cover Keane's arse for when he gets beat.

Mason holgate is better than Keane.... Galloway showed more ability before his loan out....

Complete waste of money. But why is he getting interviewed all the time?  It's annoying.  He is shit. Always looks off balance, turns like the arc royal..... we need £75m spending on the defence alone. 

1 hour ago, tonkaroost said:

I'm not necessarily defending Keane, but he's young for a starting CB, and most CBs hit their prime at a later age. Experience is key in his position.

That said, I hate that he defends Sam.   

Keane is grateful as Allardyce has put him in the side and stuck with him.

He feels he owes him for that. I wont hold loyalty against him. I think he will be a good player for us, as others have said just needs time.

2 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

No way we'll get 24m.

Amazing as it seems we could've bought Ben Mee or Tarkowski off Burnley and have been far better off. Particularly Tarkowski...

Keane hasn't done because he's not played in an in form team nor had a consistent partner at centerback, but dear God I don't see how much better it gets given how limited his mobility is. Whoever is paired next to him will always have to do his job and cover Keane's arse for when he gets beat.

I don' think those two defenders are any better. I watched Tarkowski all over the place at the weekend, and it' the same issue as Keane. If he isn't in the system Dyche builds and they get exposed they look like the average defenders they are. Never buy a CB from a defensive team unless I suppose you are a similarly defensive team. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I don' think those two defenders are any better. I watched Tarkowski all over the place at the weekend, and it' the same issue as Keane. If he isn'tt in the system Dyche builds and they get exposed they look like the average defenders they are. Never buy a CB from a defensive team unless I suppose you are a similarly defensive team. 

beat me to it bailey i was gonna say i think its more dyche system than the players in it.  mee tarkowski are just keane mk ii.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I don' think those two defenders are any better. I watched Tarkowski all over the place at the weekend, and it' the same issue as Keane. If he isn'tt in the system Dyche builds and they get exposed they look like the average defenders they are. Never buy a CB from a defensive team unless I suppose you are a similarly defensive team. 

Tarkowski has done well enough all season to get a call up from Gareth Southgate. Completely different defender to Keane, who is much bigger and less mobile.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don' think those two defenders are any better. I watched Tarkowski all over the place at the weekend, and it' the same issue as Keane. If he isn'tt in the system Dyche builds and they get exposed they look like the average defenders they are. Never buy a CB from a defensive team unless I suppose you are a similarly defensive team

But I thought Koeman and Allardyce were known for their focus on defence? You're right, though, and rather damning of these two managers.

13 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

But I thought Koeman and Allardyce were known for their focus on defence? You're right, though, and rather damning of these two managers.

I wouldnt say Koeman was. He allegedly wants players to play total football and be comfortable taking risks out from the back. He probably lies somewhere in the middle of the Martinez to Dyche scale. Allardyce does and that is why Keane has improved in recent weeks but the team just arent anywhere near as drilled as Burnley were /are.

5 hours ago, StevO said:

No one think his improvement in recent weeks is from just being paired with better players? I’d rather be in a defence with Coleman, Jags and Baines than with Kenny, Williams and Martina. 

Better players make better players. 

Yep I would agree that is a factor in it. A much more settled team too with a settled tactic.

He has looked better in a more settled, first selection defence, but then who wouldn't?

Remember how shit Jags was when he first arrived? First couple of seasons he was very shonky. I'm hoping that Keane will follow a simar path as he matures and develops more. He has been terrible this season though; staggeringly shit.

It's so difficult to come into such a disjointed team, unsure of who is first on that team sheet at CB and partnering with different players consistently. 

I hope he proves himself next season but also something to bare in mind is Burnleys defensive tactics. There is a reason they're so hard to score against, and it's not individual quality. Sometimes players look amazing under certain tactics, and their true colours shine through when they get their move.

6 hours ago, badaids said:

He has looked better in a more settled, first selection defence, but then who wouldn't?

Remember how shit Jags was when he first arrived? First couple of seasons he was very shonky. I'm hoping that Keane will follow a simar path as he matures and develops more. He has been terrible this season though; staggeringly shit.

I don't remember Jags being that bad and certainly not for that long. I think that he was a bit like Baines in that took him a while to be number 1 but I wouldn't have said he was shit? It was a while ago though!

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't remember Jags being that bad and certainly not for that long. I think that he was a bit like Baines in that took him a while to be number 1 but I wouldn't have said he was shit? It was a while ago though!

IIRC we tried to play him in midfield a lot of the time where he was, indeed, shit. Moyes thought he'd bought a utility player (inc sub 'keeper) but when he was put at CB regularly he was fine.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

IIRC we tried to play him in midfield a lot of the time where he was, indeed, shit. Moyes thought he'd bought a utility player (inc sub 'keeper) but when he was put at CB regularly he was fine.

Moyes did play him everywhere before he settled at centre back and Jags looked a disaster until then - as bad as Keane at least.  Remember Jags playing against Villareal - in midfield I think?  It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from an Everton player.

Can't help but think that moyes should have played rodwell at centre half too....

Look at the centre halves we had under moyes. Mustafi, Duffy, i think dier was a kid but certainly old enough to get a chance.  He played hibbert at centre half before a young prospect. 

8 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Can't help but think that moyes should have played rodwell at centre half too....

Look at the centre halves we had under moyes. Mustafi, Duffy, i think dier was a kid but certainly old enough to get a chance.  He played hibbert at centre half before a young prospect. 

I remember when he played Rodwell at CB against Coventry in a pre-season friendly... he looked like he’d never played CB in his life and should never play there again :lol: 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I thought jags was useless at the start, Moyes played him in midfield and right back and he struggled badly. Found his feet sat centre back quickly though. Keane is a bit meh for me. I’m sure there is better foreign players for the money 

27 minutes ago, badaids said:

Moyes did play him everywhere before he settled at centre back and Jags looked a disaster until then - as bad as Keane at least.  Remember Jags playing against Villareal - in midfield I think?  It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from an Everton player.

Ah yes I remember now. I had forgotten he had been played almost everywhere bar CB but I was sure he was never a poor CB. Good memory chaps!

Think I read something that until this period ( coleman jags Keane Baines ) we had played the same back 4 for 5 games.... insane that, not making excuses for Keane but he did actually start well here, then had a dip and maybe the price tag got to him a bit and lack of consistency around him definitely wouldn’t have helped. I’m still hoping for him.

I remember him as a promising defender while he was playing for Manu, u18 level. Sad to see he evolved to this... He is not that bad but I was expecting more to be honest.

If I were Everton's manager, he would be the first player that I would love to replace with a better player as soon as sort left wing and central midfield.

7 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I think he is average. McGuire was the one we should have got. Now people are talking about mawson, he is average aswell. Let’s go abroad and find someone like yobo who was amazing when he come on the scene. I’ve never seen a more athletic, class footballer at the back 

Yobo? He fell asleep most matches. Worst concentration I've seen. Awful decision maker. 

He was a great athlete but as a centre half he made ridiculous mistakes. 

13 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I think he is average. McGuire was the one we should have got. Now people are talking about mawson, he is average aswell. Let’s go abroad and find someone like yobo who was amazing when he come on the scene. I’ve never seen a more athletic, class footballer at the back 

They are all bang average IMO!