IGNORED

Michael Keane

I think the criticism is a little over the top on him sometimes. 

Take last week. He was having a solid game until a sub came on, he then made a couple of reckless tackles. Unnecessary yes, but far out enough. 

People spoke about him like he was not fit to grace the shirt. 

Evertonians reputations are nothing if not over the top.

I just think he is very easily exposed. For a big lad, he isn't very strong, 1 v 1 is a big concern for him to. 

If you played him in a side that intentionally left themselves exposed  (like we did with Martinez) he would be completely fucked.

He hasn't got anywhere near the same skill level as Jags.

47 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Other than being tall he's not better than Holgate at anything, and being tall is hardly a skill. 

I wouldn't disagree with that but then again I rate Holgate highly, he needs a solid run of games in a steady unchanged back four as does Keane 

Both lads have all the ability they need and both are young and have small elements to their game letting them down slightly but it's nothing a good manager and set up won't sort imo 

I'd like to see them both used together and form a young solid partnership

12 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I think his positional play is poor, he’s decent on the ball but I can’t see a leader there. He needs an experienced partner alongside him. Jonny Evans as a cheap option?

I really wish our fans would have more than the attitude of 'make do and mend'.

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Jonny Evans is coming to the end of his career. He would offer very little compared to what we already have at the club.

We need more athletic defenders. We are hamstrung by the lack of pace there.

Distin and Jags' combined pace saved our asses so many time in that partnership. 

Evans is only 30 - he has at least 4 more seasons at this level. I’d see it as good business, especially if Williams goes and with Jags not getting any younger. I’d want another centre back in addition to Evans - a natural left footed athlete - I really like the look of Boly, who Wolves have had this season, but not sure if it’s been the level he’s playing at which has made him look so good as previously he hadn’t done a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just think what this season would have been like if we hadn't bought Keane? Used that money on someone else?  Just look how Maguire has gotten on after leaving Hull for Leicester. Keane's transfer fee was double Maguire's.

Heck the team that Keane left finished above us. Burnley bought him for 2.5 mil.  

Hoping summer washes away my pain.

2 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Just think what this season would have been like if we hadn't bought Keane? Used that money on someone else?  Just look how Maguire has gotten on after leaving Hull for Leicester. Keane's transfer fee was double Maguire's.

Heck the team that Keane left finished above us. Burnley bought him for 2.5 mil.  

Hoping summer washes away my pain.

I think Maguire has been almost as bad tbh with the only difference being that you probably see Keane more? 

Neither player is good enough.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think Maguire has been almost as bad tbh with the only difference being that you probably see Keane more? 

Neither player is good enough.

Maguire has been head and shoulders above Keane in a so so team. Keane is a poor centre half. He gets bullied, his positional sense is poor and is average at best in the air. We need to cut our losses now and blame it on the whole team rather than him getting further exposed next season. Get rid of him, Williams and Mori. Get lascelles and Evans and promote Gibson from the 21s 

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Maguire has been head and shoulders above Keane in a so so team. Keane is a poor centre half. He gets bullied, his positional sense is poor and is average at best in the air. We need to cut our losses now and blame it on the whole team rather than him getting further exposed next season. Get rid of him, Williams and Mori. Get lascelles and Evans and promote Gibson from the 21s 

We are also a so so team. Maguire has been marginally better defensively, though his 4 goals would have been a boon.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I agree we are a so so team but McGuire is an established international and revered by other clubs 

Maguire and Keane have the same amount of England appearances. That would be 4 and doesn’t make anyone an established international.

I’ve been very disappointed with Keane, he hasn’t been nearly good enough apart a handful (at best) of decent performances, which isn’t acceptable, but Harry Maguire isn’t good. He gets talked up because he’s a fat lad that goes running forward with the ball. If you want to replace a player at least make it so that you improve. I’d rather all of our current CB’s before Maguire, and I’d include Feeney in that  

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I agree we are a so so team but McGuire is an established international and revered by other clubs 

See below:

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Maguire and Keane have the same amount of England appearances. That would be 4 and doesn’t make anyone an established international.

I’ve been very disappointed with Keane, he hasn’t been nearly good enough apart a handful (at best) of decent performances, which isn’t acceptable, but Harry Maguire isn’t good. He gets talked up because he’s a fat lad that goes running forward with the ball. If you want to replace a player at least make it so that you improve. I’d rather all of our current CB’s before Maguire, and I’d include Feeney in that  

Thank you for saving me time!

• 1 month later...

Keane interview in the Echo today. An interesting comment is this:

“We've worked really hard which helps lay the foundations for the season and there were probably stages of last season as a team where we weren't fit enough and the manager and his staff are making sure we definitely are this season.”

I have mentioned before in a different thread that players always like to blame managers for fitness but its all BS. If a player isnt fit that is their own problem as they are professional footballers and adults. Pre-season is more in the managers control but once the season starts the player will have all of the information the player needs to do his job and get and stay fit.

"The wound would re-open and eventually an infection would force him into hospital and then require him to play with painkilling injections. A strong, and injury free, end to the season offered Keane encouragement for the new term but it wasn't enough for him to book a seat on the plane to Russia."

Unfortunately he had recovered at the end of the season when he was still making big errors.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-keane-praises-marco-silvas-14907565

Your right to an extent.

there is a huge difference between being a fit professional footballer, and being at the top level in the premiership.

These footballers have a training team for a reason, because it isn’t easy to get yourself to that level without a p organ and guidance. If that program isn’t the right program, then you lose 1% fitness..... which is the difference between winning and losing at the top level.

This is why the coaches and experts get paid such an exuberant amount of cash. 

22 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

not at all true bailey, look at spurs.  their fitness is all down to poch having two a days all through the season.  nothing to do with the players when the manager dictates it.

What about all the other fit teams across the world?  Lol. 

During the season players will mainly do maintenence work rather than out and out fitness work because playing 2 games a week will keep the levels where they need to be. I would be amazed if Poch is working his starters for 2 fitness sessions a week in the middle of the season. 

The squad players and injured lads will all be on programmes to maintain their levels with the fitness coaches in which they will supervised but ultimately also a large amount of it will be unsupervised. The club doesnt have the staff to supervise each player on their own training plans (as they will all be working on different areas too).

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Keane interview in the Echo today. An interesting comment is this:

“We've worked really hard which helps lay the foundations for the season and there were probably stages of last season as a team where we weren't fit enough and the manager and his staff are making sure we definitely are this season.”

I have mentioned before in a different thread that players always like to blame managers for fitness but its all BS. If a player isnt fit that is their own problem as they are professional footballers and adults. Pre-season is more in the managers control but once the season starts the player will have all of the information the player needs to do his job and get and stay fit.

"The wound would re-open and eventually an infection would force him into hospital and then require him to play with painkilling injections. A strong, and injury free, end to the season offered Keane encouragement for the new term but it wasn't enough for him to book a seat on the plane to Russia."

Unfortunately he had recovered at the end of the season when he was still making big errors.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-keane-praises-marco-silvas-14907565

Being professional footballers, they’ll follow the instructions of their trainers, schedule, manager, etc. It’s up to them to work all together to get the balance of fitness and other areas, not the player on his own. 

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

What about all the other fit teams across the world?  Lol. 

During the season players will mainly do maintenence work rather than out and out fitness work because playing 2 games a week will keep the levels where they need to be. I would be amazed if Poch is working his starters for 2 fitness sessions a week in the middle of the season. 

The squad players and injured lads will all be on programmes to maintain their levels with the fitness coaches in which they will supervised but ultimately also a large amount of it will be unsupervised. The club doesnt have the staff to supervise each player on their own training plans (as they will all be working on different areas too).

go look it up, that's why kane says they are able to press all match all season, poch is relentless with the training sessions.