IGNORED

Rugby World Cup

The Sunday Times yesterday quoted an apology to the fans by Robshaw. In the apology he used the words 'we didn't quite make it'.

Which sounds as though it was close. We got absolutely hammered by Oz who were superior in every part of the game, particularly the back-row. The second Oz try when they burst through the middle and the scorer appeared on the ball carriers shoulder from nowhere and sliced through an under-manned defence to score without anyone laying a hand on him. England aren't capable of scoring tries like that. We just blast away at the opposing forwards hoping that a gap will appear, then when it doesn't we kick possession away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the All Blacks!

Agree, best team in the competition. One gripe though, how do they continually get away with forward passes. In the earlier rounds they scored 3 tries off forward passes and today got 3 points following a pass that was 2 yards forward. They don't half bend the rules at the breakdown too.

• 3 years later...
15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Fair enough; I know the great days of Nigel Starmer-Smith and Bill McLaren are long gone but at least the beeb doesn't have ads!

oops!  sorry the BBC does have adverts now.  At the end of every programme and before the start of the next, we have to sit through several minutes of 'trailers' of forthcoming BBC programmes. Which for some reason, I find worse than the ITV ads.

Just now, johnh said:

oops!  sorry the BBC does have adverts now.  At the end of every programme and before the start of the next, we have to sit through several minutes of 'trailers' of forthcoming BBC programmes. Which for some reason, I find worse than the ITV ads.

It's extremely rare that I watch anything on "tradtional" TV any more so can't really comment. I use the iPlayer, Skygo, Netflix and Amazon prime and my eyesight is such that I see things far more clearly watching on the laptop at my desk. The TV remote is largely the property of her indoors and even though she's been away this week-end as well as last I stick to this.

Did watch the F1 on the TV earlier though as Josh is home at the moment but I still prefer small screen, maybe I need different glasses.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd worry that the Boks might be to strong for them as there was a time when Scotland kept ball in hand and powered their way down the field. I couldn't understand it when the Scots kept kicking the ball away.

The Japanese are so quick though from the breakdown, they have lots of runners and create lots of angles too. Great entertainment and I certainly wouldn't write them off.

18 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I'd worry that the Boks might be to strong for them as there was a time when Scotland kept ball in hand and powered their way down the field. I couldn't understand it when the Scots kept kicking the ball away.

The Japanese are so quick though from the breakdown, they have lots of runners and create lots of angles too. Great entertainment and I certainly wouldn't write them off.

Agree completely, would take an extraordinary performance from Japan to win it and they're big underdogs (SA are no Scotland) but they have momentum and massive support behind them. Really can't see them winning but I hope they run it close, they really need to fly out of the blocks to have a chance. My last four prediction is Oz (just think they have another gear in them though I hope I'm wrong), NZ, the Taffs and SA though I'd love to be wrong on every game; actually scratch that I'd be happy to see Wales put France out, just as long as they don't win the bloody thing, they'd be unbearable (saying that even though I had a Welsh grandfather so I could be playing for them if they had any sense:D).

11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Agree completely, would take an extraordinary performance from Japan to win it and they're big underdogs (SA are no Scotland) but they have momentum and massive support behind them. Really can't see them winning but I hope they run it close, they really need to fly out of the blocks to have a chance. My last four prediction is Oz (just think they have another gear in them though I hope I'm wrong), NZ, the Taffs and SA though I'd love to be wrong on every game; actually scratch that I'd be happy to see Wales put France out, just as long as they don't win the bloody thing, they'd be unbearable (saying that even though I had a Welsh grandfather so I could be playing for them if they had any sense:D).

I haven't seen the Southern Hemisphere sides fully yet so I don't know how they are at the moment but I have heard Australia have been a bit off the pace so far so like you say they probably do have another gear but having said that I think we have one too. Should be a cracking game itself. 

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I haven't seen the Southern Hemisphere sides fully yet so I don't know how they are at the moment but I have heard Australia have been a bit off the pace so far so like you say they probably do have another gear but having said that I think we have one too. Should be a cracking game itself. 

Hope we make it, I want to see us in a final. In 2003 I'd not bargained for extra time and our eldest daughter had to be somewhere (don't remember where) so I had to stop watching after full time and load her in the car and listen to it on the radio; I still remember exactly where I was when Jonny Wilkinson put the winning kick over, was here...

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.857804,-3.5110551,3a,75y,15.03h,73.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxe7fInF8C5mASRER4VvPyg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dxe7fInF8C5mASRER4VvPyg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D336.75552%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

...lovely scenic view but I wish I'd been in front of the TV!

On 14/10/2019 at 22:50, Bailey said:

Quite straightforward in the end; couple of times they threatened, at the beginning of each half, we slapped them straight back down again. All Blacks in the semi (assuming they beat Ireland) will be a different beast.

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Quite straightforward in the end; couple of times they threatened, at the beginning of each half, we slapped them straight back down again. All Blacks in the semi (assuming they beat Ireland) will be a different beast.

Yeh it was in the end, albeit I didnt think it would be in those first 10 minutes. Some of our defending was exceptional, although I am still really concerned by Elliot Daly as I really dont rate him as an international full back.

As for the All Blacks, they looked fantastic and they just blew Ireland away and even scored when they were down to 14. It should be one hell of a game, albeit I imagine we are going to try and kick them to sleep. If we do then we will have to do a better job of kicking than we did today.

On 19/10/2019 at 17:06, Bailey said:

Yeh it was in the end, albeit I didnt think it would be in those first 10 minutes. Some of our defending was exceptional, although I am still really concerned by Elliot Daly as I really dont rate him as an international full back.

As for the All Blacks, they looked fantastic and they just blew Ireland away and even scored when they were down to 14. It should be one hell of a game, albeit I imagine we are going to try and kick them to sleep. If we do then we will have to do a better job of kicking than we did today.

Jack Nowell going to be fit apparently, you think he'd be a better option? Serious question that I don't know the answer to, I love watching it but many of the technical niceties go way over my head. 

@Baileyas it seems like it's pretty much the two of us in this what do you think is the best way to deal with the Haka on Saturday? Personally I'd like to see us get in a huddle and ignore it rather than trying to face them down, though that might be deemed disrespectful; I certainly don't want to see us "accepting" the challenge, I want to see us wholly focused on what we have to do.