IGNORED

Tom Davies

We cant risk his development by playing him all over the shop.

The odd game is ok, but I would rather we play Jonjoe Kenny.

That's another reason I don't like it as well.

I'd like to think it at least means Koeman realises he's brought in a bag of shite in Martina but, seeing as he's signed him more than once that's not likely :(.

I'd like to think it at least means Koeman realises he's brought in a bag of shite in Martina but, seeing as he's signed him more than once that's not likely :(.

everyone was fine with martinez having galloway learn LB before playing CB, this is no different.

He will be absolutely fine at RB. Gerrard used to play RB at a young age for Liverpool. Davies has the similar temperament.... the kid has the ability to play almost anywhere IMO - smart footballing brain.

agreed. playing time is better than no playing time.

so you'd rather him on the bench? he's not better than klaassen, gana or schneiderlin so who's sitting?

Mark, if someone isn't deemed good enough, or not as good as others, in their natural position then I have no problem with them being benched. I have a big problem with players being played out of position just to get them into the team. Always have, doesn't matter who that player is.

Mark, if someone isn't deemed good enough, or not as good as others, in their natural position then I have no problem with them being benched. I have a big problem with players being played out of position just to get them into the team. Always have, doesn't matter who that player is.

point taken. we will have to see how it plays out and pray seamus recovers early.

Romey's having nightmares of Bilyaletdinov on the leftwing and Heitinga in midfield as we speak.

I think he sees Coco the clown as an attacking right back that can be used against opponents who pose a limited threat. Still think he would be better off playing Jonjoe instead of Coco tho.

Some players have an inate ability to do a good job wherever they are played. Usually players with good focus, composure, tactical brain and technique.

The Dutch used to play all youth players as a centre half to learn tactics. To show they could read the game etc.

I played full back after being in midfield and found it a piece of piss. I know it's far different levels but it's all relative.

I expect him to really shoe us what a true talent he is in this game.

look forward to your thoughts romey. not as an "i told you so", just more to see what you thought and if you'd be comfortable with him deputizing for coleman. i couldn't watch the match so i just heard the radio feed FYI

EDIT - posted right after. gotcha.

I'd want to see him there against quality opposition before I'd say either way. He wasn't really tested tonight. It'd be interesting to see how he copes if he plays there in any of our opening league fixtures. Edited by Romey 1878

I'd want to see him there against quality opposition before I'd say either way. He wasn't really tested tonight. It'd be interesting to see how he copes if he plays there in any of our opening league fixtures.

i wonder too if tonight was just a pre-season experiment or if he's thinking of doing it more. time will tell.

It's a no from me to Tom Davies at RB.

If we are struggling to fill the void that Coleman has left through injury then the best option is to go 3 at the back and use Holgate as the RCB.

I'm fine with Davies as RWB but not RB

interesting take. because the RWB is further up the pitch its closer to being a centre mid? less defending and more attacking. hmmm

There is something special about him. Nothing really stands out to me - not a great defender, passer, shooter doesn't have electric pace...but he never looks out of place no matter what he is doing. OK 2 exceptions - his composure is off the charts, even for a seasoned vet, and his one-touch passing is excellent. Which I guess all adds up to him having a very good football brain.

He isn't a world beater, or a player that strikes fear into the opposition, where they specifically plan for him - or at least I don't think. But one minute he is charging down the left flank pulling the LB out, then a moment later he recovering possession in the middle of the park with an interception or crunching tackle, then moments later he is salvaging a wayward clearance or pass at the touch line with tidy one-touch pass and go to retain possession and open the field. He has got to be a pain the ass to play against. He doesn't seem fazed by any pass, dribble, shot or tackle.

I saw a good quote from USMNT coach Bruce Arena about what made Clint Dempsey special - "He isn't afraid to try shit" That's the overwhelming sense I get from Davies and Lookman. Davies just usually looks disinterested - doesn't matter if he just got beat, fouled or did something spectacular, he just brushes his hair back a little and his expression never changes. Maybe it's because he is so young, and he just "doesn't know what he doesn't know", but he just always looks like he belongs on the pitch, no matter what the position or formation. I just hope all that continues as he grows. Hard to believe he just turned 19.

I wonder what the dynamic would be if he and Lookman were playing the same side where they could link up? Both play a little bit of unorthodox/playground ball - Lookman more so. It might be a horrible dynamic, or it may lead to a lot of unpredictable creativity between them.

There is something special about him. Nothing really stands out to me - not a great defender, passer, shooter doesn't have electric pace...but he never looks out of place no matter what he is doing. OK 2 exceptions - his composure is off the charts, even for a seasoned vet, and his one-touch passing is excellent. Which I guess all adds up to him having a very good football brain.

He isn't a world beater, or a player that strikes fear into the opposition, where they specifically plan for him - or at least I don't think. But one minute he is charging down the left flank pulling the LB out, then a moment later he recovering possession in the middle of the park with an interception or crunching tackle, then moments later he is salvaging a wayward clearance or pass at the touch line with tidy one-touch pass and go to retain possession and open the field. He has got to be a pain the ass to play against. He doesn't seem fazed by any pass, dribble, shot or tackle.

I saw a good quote from USMNT coach Bruce Arena about what made Clint Dempsey special - "He isn't afraid to try shit" That's the overwhelming sense I get from Davies and Lookman. Davies just usually looks disinterested - doesn't matter if he just got beat, fouled or did something spectacular, he just brushes his hair back a little and his expression never changes. Maybe it's because he is so young, and he just "doesn't know what he doesn't know", but he just always looks like he belongs on the pitch, no matter what the position or formation. I just hope all that continues as he grows. Hard to believe he just turned 19.

I wonder what the dynamic would be if he and Lookman were playing the same side where they could link up? Both play a little bit of unorthodox/playground ball - Lookman more so. It might be a horrible dynamic, or it may lead to a lot of unpredictable creativity between them.

That post could've described his uncle; one of my favourite payers in his era but Tom has the potential to be better.