IGNORED

Tim Howard

Fine news and Howard still remains a goalkeeper of quality. Understand the need to play Robles and give the kid an opportunity but seems there were times this season when Howard should have featured instead and the team suffered as a result. Timmy may be facing advancing years but is still a dependable figure in goal and hopeful he can do well for us at the World Cup this summer. We've had some great names in goal in recent years such as Southall and Martyn and Howard deserves I think to be included also. Once again, pleased with the agreement.

Howard should be a good number 1 for another 2-4 years I imagine... Hopefully closer to the latter, but I wonder if he'd be willing to stay on after his time as a #1 is done and be a backup/cup keeper, as he is a fixture by now at the club and a veteran leader. As to Joel, he'll remain the cup keeper, but I wouldn't rotate him into playing in the league... You don't rotate keepers, you have a clear number one. if we wanted Joel to get time, we'd be right to bring in another keeper and send Joel out on loan.

I think the big fella has been excellent this season. He's been much more consistent than in recent years and has usually saved our arses (or kept the score line respectable) during the few matches where the rest of the team has played shite. I still think he can retain the no. 1 keeper spot for 2-4 years depending on how he continues to age.

For every game Howard keeps us in games he costs us in others. People forget he is played to stop shots and not make mistakes. He is too up and down. Brad freidal on the other hand is a fellow yank. He on the other hand makes match winning saves and very rarely makes any mistakes. I would like a keeper like this to be our number one. Howard, for all his shouting also seems to lose his voice when our defenders our retreating back to our own goal with the ball waiting for him to make a move.

For every game Howard keeps us in games he costs us in others. People forget he is played to stop shots and not make mistakes. He is too up and down. Brad freidal on the other hand is a fellow yank. He on the other hand makes match winning saves and very rarely makes any mistakes. I would like a keeper like this to be our number one. Howard, for all his shouting also seems to lose his voice when our defenders our retreating back to our own goal with the ball waiting for him to make a move.

Made a top draw save today!

• 2 months later...

I find it absolutely maddening that people are so eager to replace Howard. By all means, let's bring in a few 18-20 year-olds for when he inevitably needs to pass the torch, but for right now we're not going to do much better. In fact, after Neuer and Buffon, are there any goalkeepers in the world who are head-and-shoulders above him?

I find it absolutely maddening that people are so eager to replace Howard. By all means, let's bring in a few 18-20 year-olds for when he inevitably needs to pass the torch, but for right now we're not going to do much better. In fact, after Neuer and Buffon, are there any goalkeepers in the world who are head-and-shoulders above him?

I'd have Courtois, De Gea and Lloris ahead of him (and Buffon) as well, but that's just from the goalkeepers I see play regularly.