IGNORED

Tim Howard

He does lots of work in this area. If his high profile can help people cope with what must be a really tough thing to live with then it's more than commendable.

All round good guy.

Yep, real good dude he sure is.... Lets just hope he helps the defe about.nce next year. Sorry, that's all I'm concerned about.

Haha iI love the way you try and explain again in your second sentsentence, like you were speaking a foreign language at first.

I never realised I did. I guess I'm just trying to ram my point home, or I just like to prattle on and like the sound of my own posts :)

I believe it's a combination of experience with the condition and medication.

He's also talked in the past about how playing actually lessens the effects. I know for many with tourettes pure concentration on a task can minimize the tics. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more noticeable off the field, although he has obviously learned to manage it well in general.

Timmy's deal with nbc can only increase EFC's profile in the USofA.

Can't really understand though why we're not touring USA this off-season, at least half of the EPL are over there in one tournament or another. Maybe we weren't invited because we had the temerity to try to win in the last tournament over there and had to be bundled out by refereeing cock-ups and/or deliberate mistakes.

Timmy's deal with nbc can only increase EFC's profile in the USofA.

Can't really understand though why we're not touring USA this off-season, at least half of the EPL are over there in one tournament or another. Maybe we weren't invited because we had the temerity to try to win in the last tournament over there and had to be bundled out by refereeing cock-ups and/or deliberate mistakes.

I think that, in general, Everton does a poor job of marketing itself in the US. That being said, I think their lack of presence for this summer is largely just bad luck. Having Tim Howard touring around the US would be fantastic coming off the World Cup, but how many people predicted that he and the US would have the kind of impact that they did? Hell, there weren't many people outside the US that believed they'd even finish 3rd, above Ghana. And if they didn't make it out of the group and then put up a ballsy effort against Belgium then I'm not sure touring here would be as brilliant a move as it looks now. I think Everton were in the wrong place at the wrong time. With the perspective of hindsight, they should have toured Asia last year and the US this year instead of the other way around.

I think we also have to be careful though with blindly bandwagoning the US. As great as Man U and Arsenal have been drawing here, a Fulham game in Florida - a growing soccer hotbed here in the US - drew MAYBE three-thousand people. It was a disaster. Everton are a bigger appeal than Fulham, but they're not Man U, either. Coming to the US is great but only in the right spots and with the right teams. I think an Everton-RBNY match would be brilliant for next season (though I'm obviously biased). You get the New York area, for starters, but then you have local boy Tim Howard facing the team he started with and Cahill facing Everton. But throwing Everton in the US just to say they're in the US would be the equivalent of the NFL sending a team to play a pre-season game in Norwich, only if Norwich was 5-6 hours away from London instead of 2-3.

• 4 weeks later...

Tim Howard

As you may have heard, I have decided to take some time off from the U.S. Men’s National Team in order to spend more time with my family. Having played overseas for the last 12 years, making this commitment to my family is very important. I am grateful for the understanding of Jurgen Klinsmann who is affording me the opportunity to spend some much needed time with my kids and to have the opportunity to compete for a spot upon my return. I understand that I will have to earn my place with the team and in the lineup when I come back, and I look forward to doing that. Physically I feel as strong as ever, and right now my heart, mind, and body all feel good about continuing on with the national team for the next World Cup. It is difficult to predict the situation in four years but I know this decision is right for me today.