IGNORED

Tim Howard

Have to say I'm one more bad game away from agreeing with you.

I totally understand the praise he received during the world cup but in a blue shirt I can't help but feel nervous with him between the sticks. He makes some match winning saves but he also costs us games. (Or nearly) I'm sorry if a lot disagree with me but I just thunk that Joel makes him look better and if we had a world class back up, he would auto be second choice.

I totally understand the praise he received during the world cup but in a blue shirt I can't help but feel nervous with him between the sticks. He makes some match winning saves but he also costs us games. (Or nearly) I'm sorry if a lot disagree with me but I just thunk that Joel makes him look better and if we had a world class back up, he would auto be second choice.

I've already said elsewhere I've wanted him gone for a while but I can't deny he had a good season last season so I'm prepared to hold my wrath (for now)

He had one good game at the world cup and that was it for me keepers have games like that all the time but it doesn't mean they should automatically become superstars.

My heart is in my mouth with him a lot also. Back passes have my arse twitching constantly. He has not command of his area and he gets beaten at his near post and from distance an awful lot and pushes shots in front of him a lot also instead of basics and to the side.

That being said he's a good shot stopper and mAkes some important saves but while Begovic is at Stoke he's crying out for a ready made replacement for Howard, hopefully next season.

You're spot on with the Joel comment. With him as back up he's got absolutely nothing to worry about regarding his place.

Edited by Paddock

There are probably only 5 or maybe 10 keepers in the world who would be a noticeable step up from Howard. Really, there is no such thing as a perfect goalkeeper, as it really is a tough position.

On Begovic, again, he'd be quite expensive. and I know Stoke have opened up their style of play somewhat, but he's still spent the majority of his time playing behind a Stoke defense and midfield that breaks everything up in front of him, not requiring him to make many last ditch saves.

The people who are so critical of Howard are ridiculous.

*Editi* For Howard, I apply the Hafnia test. If Haf thinks a player is good, then he must certainly be good, as Haf tends to be on the critical side when evaluating player performance (No offense, haf).

Edited by Quinn31

There are probably only 5 or maybe 10 keepers in the world who would be a noticeable step up from Howard. Really, there is no such thing as a perfect goalkeeper, as it really is a tough position.

On Begovic, again, he'd be quite expensive. and I know Stoke have opened up their style of play somewhat, but he's still spent the majority of his time playing behind a Stoke defense and midfield that breaks everything up in front of him, not requiring him to make many last ditch saves.

The people who are so critical of Howard are ridiculous.

*Editi* For Howard, I apply the Hafnia test. If Haf thinks a player is good, then he must certainly be good, as Haf tends to be on the critical side when evaluating player performance (No offense, haf).

Ten goalkeepers in the world only better than Howard? Sorry mate but that's just a silly statement to make. Chelsea have 2 straight away, Ruddy (who we let go) Reina (still officially in the prem) De Gea (sp) Arsenals goalie (cant spell so wont bother attempting) Hart, Krul (maybe) I've not even got out the prem yet!!

So if Haf thinks a player is good then it's a given he must be. I'll look around the world and see everyone basing an opinion on what Haf thinks. Again another ridiculous statement to make. Unless you're Hafs Mum what makes you think he's the oracle on judging a player if he's good or not? (No offence meant here by the way Haf, he threw your name in the hat )

I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards you Quinny mate but they were two really daft statements to make.

Ten goalkeepers in the world only better than Howard? Sorry mate but that's just a silly statement to make. Chelsea have 2 straight away, Ruddy (who we let go) Reina (still officially in the prem) De Gea (sp) Arsenals goalie (cant spell so wont bother attempting) Hart, Krul (maybe) I've not even got out the prem yet!!

So if Haf thinks a player is good then it's a given he must be. I'll look around the world and see everyone basing an opinion on what Haf thinks. Again another ridiculous statement to make. Unless you're Hafs Mum what makes you think he's the oracle on judging a player if he's good or not? (No offence meant here by the way Haf, he threw your name in the hat )

I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards you Quinny mate but they were two really daft statements to make.

Yeah, Cech is on the decline, Ruddy definitely isn't noticeably better than Howard. In fact, I don't think Ruddy is as good. Reina isn't noticeably better than Howard, De Gea is good, Szczesny is prone to making even dumber mistakes than Howard (though he's a good shot stopper) and even Hart was dropped in favor of Costel Pantillimon for mistakes, though is no doubt a good keeper.

Paddock, stop being such a disrespectful, argumentative, confrontational twat. You've been on this board for two weeks and you've managed to pick a fight with so many of the people who have been on this board for years. This board is quickly deteriorating quality wise to that of Grand Old Team or Redcafe or Red and White Kop.

Yeah, Cech is on the decline, Ruddy definitely isn't noticeably better than Howard. In fact, I don't think Ruddy is as good. Reina isn't noticeably better than Howard, De Gea is good, Szczesny is prone to making even dumber mistakes than Howard (though he's a good shot stopper) and even Hart was dropped in favor of Costel Pantillimon for mistakes, though is no doubt a good keeper.

Paddock, stop being such a disrespectful, argumentative, confrontational twat. You've been on this board for two weeks and you've managed to pick a fight with so many of the people who have been on this board for years. This board is quickly deteriorating quality wise to that of Grand Old Team or Redcafe or Red and White Kop.

:lol:

You have a button called the ignore feature if you don't like what I post, don't read it it's that simple!

Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't make it wrong or right for that matter. It's a message board meant for opinions. If I hurt your feelings. (Which I obviously did ) then I apologise. As for being disrespectful, I'm not the one going around calling people twats just for disagreeing with my opinion.

Do yourself a favour and pick your toys back up that you dropped out the pram and stop whining like a little girl because people are posting stuff you don't like.

I'f you want to post brain dead opinions like you just did like Howard is in the top ten keepers in the world or if Haf says a player is good then he must be then that's your choice but don't trip over your bottom lip if people don't agree and say so!!

So in the most respectful way possible, why don't you fuck right off and put me on ignore :D

:lol:

You have a button called the ignore feature if you don't like what I post, don't read it it's that simple!

Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't make it wrong or right for that matter. It's a message board meant for opinions. If I hurt your feelings. (Which I obviously did ) then I apologise. As for being disrespectful, I'm not the one going around calling people twats just for disagreeing with my opinion.

Do yourself a favour and pick your toys back up that you dropped out the pram and stop whining like a little girl because people are posting stuff you don't like.

I'f you want to post brain dead opinions like you just did like Howard is in the top ten keepers in the world or if Haf says a player is good then he must be then that's your choice but don't trip over your bottom lip if people don't agree and say so!!

So in the most respectful way possible, why don't you fuck right off and put me on ignore :D

You tell him paddock, am with you on this.

Howard's made his mistakes no doubt, but for me, I wouldn't swap him. Passionate man who genuinely cares about this club. I'm proud he is our keeper

What a flawed statement you make. There is no body more "passionate" than bill kenwright but I'd swap him in a second for a multi billionaire. Passion and good thoughts don't keep out goals.

I still think he's one of the top keepers in the prem.

He didn't have one good game at the world cup either, he was pretty solid throughout.

He hasn't stood much a chance with any of the goals this season and hasn't really made any clangers.

He could be more of a presence in goals I admit, bit that's about all I'm worried about with him. He is one of the names thats that gives me confidence when I see the team sheet.

And I do think that having players that are passionate for the club does go a long way.

Howard would make the top 10 in the EPL easily, but struggle to make top 20 in the world.

The point is, that if we want a keeper in the top 5 of the EPL (better than Courtois, De Gea, Begovic, Lloris and Cech) then we are going to have to pay 10m-15m+. Even then thats not going to be a noticable difference, especially if the defence isnt sorted. For that money we can buy a quality CB or winger who will make a big difference.

So, why not be happy that we have a very good, but not perfect, keeper with a passion for the club, who occasionally cocks up but makes up for that 10 fold per game and has a couple of his best years still ahead of him?

to the chap who said he has not dropped any clangers yet please look at arsenals first goal it went past inside the 6 yard box to the far post 2 yards in front of him for ramsey to tap in he could have thrown his cap on it and then that led to panic which led to the 2nd goal why do you want to blame every one but tim I don't get it.

and to the chap who said he was the best keeper in north America for a decade false he was 3rd choice behind fredal and keller and only got picked when they retired. being the best in north America is like the old days saying your the best in Scotland.

to the chap who said he has not dropped any clangers yet please look at arsenals first goal it went past inside the 6 yard box to the far post 2 yards in front of him for ramsey to tap in he could have thrown his cap on it and then that led to panic which led to the 2nd goal why do you want to blame every one but tim I don't get it.

and to the chap who said he was the best keeper in north America for a decade false he was 3rd choice behind fredal and keller and only got picked when they retired. being the best in north America is like the old days saying your the best in Scotland.

has he run off with your missus or something?

What a flawed statement you make. There is no body more "passionate" than bill kenwright but I'd swap him in a second for a multi billionaire. Passion and good thoughts don't keep out goals.

Howard's done a fantastic job for this club and over the period we have had him I couldn't think of to many keepers (that we could have realistically attracted).

And in regards to your statement, well of course we would rather a billionaire owner, so would every club that isn't mega rich, but it just doesn't happen that easily, instead we have the next best thing which has kept our club going forward without falling apart (Leeds/Pompey ect). Same deal with Howard, although he might not be in the Top 10 keepers of the world, out of the ones our club can Attract at this moment I wouldn't swap him.

Nope. Look at the shite. Mignolet was supposed to be top 3 keepers in the prem and was great for Sunderland. Now he looks shit. Defense has a lot to say about it, de gea has been getting hammered lately as well.

Spot on. The 1st goal for Arsenal could've been prevented by the RB or DCM closing down the player crossing the ball, or a shout from the DC to take it or even better, go towards the ball.

Our defence is the biggest worry, keeper is 5th priority for me.