IGNORED

Tim Howard

Usually that expression relates to the "positive" being the exception to the rule. Howard makes more positive contributions than negatives.

He had a really good season last season . By far his best in an Everton shirt. Seasons gone by he has been somewhat suspect in certain areas of his game. He seems to have ironed that out. If he hasn't and we get a repeat of the errors and silly mistakes then for me it's time to look elsewhere.

Hence one really good season (swallow) doesn't make him a complete player (summer)

He had a really good season last season . By far his best in an Everton shirt. Seasons gone by he has been somewhat suspect in certain areas of his game. He seems to have ironed that out. If he hasn't and we get a repeat of the errors and silly mistakes then for me it's time to look elsewhere.

Hence one really good season (swallow) doesn't make him a complete player (summer)

He was 5th highest ranked keeper the season before that behind Cech, Begovic, Reina and Hart. Above Loris, De Gea, Mignolet.

As I say, he is consistently one of the best. Focussing on mistakes does not do him justice over a season.

He was 5th highest ranked keeper the season before that behind Cech, Begovic, Reina and Hart. Above Loris, De Gea, Mignolet.

As I say, he is consistently one of the best. Focussing on mistakes does not do him justice over a season.

All keepers make mistakes Haf, I accept that. It's the getting beat constantly at his near post or from long distance he needed to sort out which he seems to have. He still has no command of his area and his decision making can be poor at times but all that being he really impressed me last season with how he seemed to have matured and cut out the stupidness to his game.

I'm more than happy for him to have the gloves this season but if he doesn't continue with the vast improvement then for me we need a new keeper.

All keepers make mistakes Haf, I accept that. It's the getting beat constantly at his near post or from long distance he needed to sort out which he seems to have. He still has no command of his area and his decision making can be poor at times but all that being he really impressed me last season with how he seemed to have matured and cut out the stupidness to his game.

I'm more than happy for him to have the gloves this season but if he doesn't continue with the vast improvement then for me we need a new keeper.

Show me a perfect keeper and I will show you someone who will earn £250k a week and have a transfer value of £50m.

Show me a near perfect keeper (Neuer, Casillas) and I will show you a player who commands champions league football £100k+ a week, £25m transfer valuation and even then they make mistakes...

The long and short of it is that Howard is the right fit for us as a goalkeeper unless we manage to spot another Neville Southall or get a Van Der Sar, Nigel Martyn who are still in great goalkeeping shape at a mature age and reasonable transfer value.

Show me a perfect keeper and I will show you someone who will earn £250k a week and have a transfer value of £50m.

Show me a near perfect keeper (Neuer, Casillas) and I will show you a player who commands champions league football £100k+ a week, £25m transfer valuation and even then they make mistakes...

The long and short of it is that Howard is the right fit for us as a goalkeeper unless we manage to spot another Neville Southall or get a Van Der Sar, Nigel Martyn who are still in great goalkeeping shape at a mature age and reasonable transfer value.

Begovic for me over him straight away.

I never said there was such a thing as a perfect keeper. In fact I stated the opposite in that I wrote "all keepers make mistakes"

Of course we can't afford a Courtois. Cech, Nuer or the likes but just because we can't doesn't mean we have to stick with what we have.

As I've said, I'm happy for Howard to continue this season but I'm not totally convinced on him and neither where a lot of Evertonians until he had a season like he dod last year.

Edited by Paddock

I accept the views on tim are quite varied I am more towards the negative that's for sure but to measure him against southall or martyn you have lost touch with reality no mater what the record books say. and stats do lie. (r u related to him )

I accept the views on tim are quite varied I am more towards the negative that's for sure but to measure him against southall or martyn you have lost touch with reality no mater what the record books say. and stats do lie. (r u related to him )

I think you have as much trouble understanding my posts as I do understanding yours.

At no stage did I measure Howard to Southall or Martyn. I was talking about "recruitment sourcing"...

:unsure:

Better defence in front of him mate to be fair.

Not really, Hibbert at RB, Yobo played a fair few at CB, Neville as the DCM? Only Lescott could be an argued improvement over Distin but thats a seriously close call.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Everton_F.C._season

Or you mean better defence than the days of Nev and Nig?

Edited by Matt

to the chap who said he has not dropped any clangers yet please look at arsenals first goal it went past inside the 6 yard box to the far post 2 yards in front of him for ramsey to tap in he could have thrown his cap on it and then that led to panic which led to the 2nd goal why do you want to blame every one but tim I don't get it.

He had a defender that should have cur the cross out, he trusted that defender and got let down.

In my opinion that was in now way a clanger, just bad judgement at the worst.

I don't want to blame everyone but him, I call it the way I see it.... Defence was terrible for that goal and Tim was let down.

when you say he trusted that defender you don't switch off you always expect the worse and are ready, the defender who let him down as you put it had been running around for 80 mins and run out of gas he on the other hand had run nowhere and was as fresh as a daisy it was inside the 6 yard box for gods sake.

Played on defence for twenty years mate and understand the need for not switching off.

I also I understand "not going for the same ball" which I am sure you would agree that when a keeper and defender go for the same ball and collide... That can be called a clanger.

Brett. I do agree with you he should have controlled the situation.

I just can't for the life of me call it a clanger. To me a clanger is dropping a ball, letting it through your legs and so on.

The point is that the goal was a combination of our whole defence not doing their job. Not a goalkeeping clanger.

ah David not angry frustrated when you said going for the same ball I meant covering eventualities he did not go for the same ball as Coleman we are talking about arsenals first goal Coleman let him cross it, it rolled past tim in the six yard box that's the clanger try and keep up.