IGNORED

Tim Howard

written by Tim Hill production editor for the Guardian in New York, his first "soccer" article. 18 months ago he calculated how many goals Howard was resposinisble for??? So another with a T How agenda. Bit sad.

His last two contributions were on Starbucks and Gianni Versace's mansion :huh:.

• 3 weeks later...

There's been some criticism of Tim for not playing for the USMNT this year, but I sort of think he's trying to do the best by Everton, by being at his best, and for the US by letting some of the other guys get some playing time. He'll be 37 or 38 in 2018...maybe too old for national service. I say let him focus on Everton and turn in more brilliant matches like he did on Thursday.

There's been some criticism of Tim for not playing for the USMNT this year, but I sort of think he's trying to do the best by Everton, by being at his best, and for the US by letting some of the other guys get some playing time. He'll be 37 or 38 in 2018...maybe too old for national service. I say let him focus on Everton and turn in more brilliant matches like he did on Thursday.

I think it's pretty clear what he's doing. He wants to still be in the picture, but there's no reason for him to be traveling across the world for friendlies constantly. Not so far away from the World Cup, at least. This gives him a chance to rest, focus solely on Everton, and spend time with his family. And then he can revisit in a couple years whether he wants to play in 2018. This is a guy who has been in goal for the U.S. forever and who knows the coaches and defenders better than anyone. It won't take him very long to get comfortable again if he decides to come back in 2016.

I think it's pretty clear what he's doing. He wants to still be in the picture, but there's no reason for him to be traveling across the world for friendlies constantly. Not so far away from the World Cup, at least. This gives him a chance to rest, focus solely on Everton, and spend time with his family. And then he can revisit in a couple years whether he wants to play in 2018. This is a guy who has been in goal for the U.S. forever and who knows the coaches and defenders better than anyone. It won't take him very long to get comfortable again if he decides to come back in 2016.

Agreed. The criticism is unjustified.

We need a 7/10 keeper every game. Howard is too static for me. When he goes for something he goes and leaves his brain behind. I'd much rather have a keeper who we never speak about good or bad. Bring back martyn.

I was thinking of him after yesterday. Not popular when he first signed but became indispensable as he was always reliable.

It does bewilder how he can look like a rock in the Europa on Thursday...then do that on a Sunday.

Like i said. Eratic!!! He punched everything against Wolfsburg and came about five yards off his line making spectacular looking saves.

Then against palace he tries the same. Coming out and making last ditch tackles. If he got the ball he'd have a blinder. He missed it and his Eratic decisions makes him look a fool. He has too many of these days. It's all or nothing with him.

Edited by Brett Angel

Are you serious Matt? Begovice is a much better keeper than Howard. How he is still at Stoke is beyond me.

Deadly serious, for the reasons Romey explains :) If he was as good as MOTD make him look, he would be at Barcelona or someone, or Stoke would be better than they are.

Let's not forget that we don't see Begovic week in, week out, so for all we know he could have major flaws himself.

I mean, from the outside football fans probably think that Howard is up there with the best keepers in the league but he has us tearing our hair out at times.

If we all picked players based on what we see on MOTD we would have bought Scott Parker the year his legs went, we would have Ian Nolan, and countless other players that look good on a highlights reel.

I don't think Howard is an exceptional keeper, he is a good keeper who will make the mistakes that other good keepers make. Mignolet looks great on MOTD but when you watch his his command of the area is awful.

If we all picked players based on what we see on MOTD we would have bought Scott Parker the year his legs went, we would have Ian Nolan, and countless other players that look good on a highlights reel.

I don't think Howard is an exceptional keeper, he is a good keeper who will make the mistakes that other good keepers make. Mignolet looks great on MOTD but when you watch his his command of the area is awful.

It's the stupidness of the mistakes though they're absolute howlers and them add to this he is always getting beat at his near post and from long range.

Personally I think he's a liability and my heart is in my mouth with him constantly. I was all for giving him a chance after a decent season last year. Thus far he's only served to compound my feelings about him over the 3-4 seasons before last.

Get shut in January. Get a better keeper in and fuck him off to the MLS. All this "breaking records" stuff is absolute bollocks. We're in the business of winning football matches not breaking records. No good making 13 saves in a match one week to "break a record" then give away a ludicrous pen and drop the ball on a strikers head so he can nod it in an empty net. He costs us far more games (or has over the seasons) than he wins us.

It's the stupidness of the mistakes though they're absolute howlers and them add to this he is always getting beat at his near post and from long range.

Personally I think he's a liability and my heart is in my mouth with him constantly. I was all for giving him a chance after a decent season last year. Thus far he's only served to compound my feelings about him over the 3-4 seasons before last.

Get shut in January. Get a better keeper in and fuck him off to the MLS. All this "breaking records" stuff is absolute bollocks. We're in the business of winning football matches not breaking records. No good making 13 saves in a match one week to "break a record" then give away a ludicrous pen and drop the ball on a strikers head so he can nod it in an empty net. He costs us far more games (or has over the seasons) than he wins us.

Thats simply not true.

Tim Howard:

2013 / 2014 Barclays Premier League: 37 Games 112 Saves 15 Clean Sheets

2012 / 2013 Barclays Premier League: 36 Games 90 Saves 10 Clean Sheets

2011 / 2012 Barclays Premier League: 38 Games 95 Saves 12 Clean Sheets

2010 / 2011 Barclays Premier League: 38 Games 100 Saves 9 Clean Sheets

2009 / 2010 Barclays Premier League: 38 Games 114 Saves 11 Clean Sheets
2008 / 2009 Barclays Premier League: 38 Games 114 Saves 17 Clean Sheets
2007 / 2008 Barclays Premier League: 36 Games 151 Saves 12 Clean Sheets
Total : 261 EPL apps - 776 saves - 86 clean sheets.
His clean sheets alone (assuming he made saves in the game), is 1 every 3 games over 8 years with us.

Begovic by comparision:

2013 / 2014 Barclays Premier League: 32 Games 104 Saves 9 Clean Sheets

2012 / 2013 Barclays Premier League: 38 Games 110 Saves 12 Clean Sheets

2011 / 2012 Barclays Premier League: 22 Games 79 Saves 6 Clean Sheets

2010 / 2011 Barclays Premier League: 28 Games 96 Saves 8 Clean Sheets

2009 / 2010 Barclays Premier League: 13 Games 42 Saves 4 Clean Sheets

Total : 133 EPL apps - 431 saves - 39 clean sheets. Clean sheets average is 1 every 3.5 games,
Comparing the clean sheets is hard to do though, since Tim has played many more games and for longer period of time. But even if I compare like with like (2009/10 -- 2013/14) we get pretty much the same deal (Tim goes from 1 in 3 to 1 in 3.2 games)

As I said, there is not much in it at all, except that Howard has proven over a longer period of time to be more consistent.

Give me another keeper in the EPL to compare with, within the last 10 years and I'll check the stats there. I tried Schmeichel, Southall and Martyn but they dont have the same detailed stats.

Edited by Matt

Just found Nigel Martyns...

2005 / 2006 Barclays Premier League : 20 Games 91 Saves 0 Clean Sheets
2004 / 2005 Barclays Premier League : 32 Games 146 Saves 0 Clean Sheets
2003 / 2004 Barclays Premier League : 34 Games 168 Saves 0 Clean Sheets
Thought of a keeper by comparison - Petr Cech
2013 / 2014 Barclays Premier League : 34 Games 81 Saves 16 Clean Sheets
2012 / 2013 Barclays Premier League : 36 Games 122 Saves 14 Clean Sheets
2011 / 2012 Barclays Premier League : 34 Games 84 Saves 10 Clean Sheets
2010 / 2011 Barclays Premier League : 38 Games 99 Saves 15 Clean Sheets
2009 / 2010 Barclays Premier League : 34 Games 65 Saves 17 Clean Sheets
2008 / 2009 Barclays Premier League: 35 Games 88 Saves 19 Clean Sheets
2007 / 2008 Barclays Premier League : 26 Games 113 Saves 11 Clean Sheets

Total : 234 EPL apps - 652 saves - 102 clean sheets. Clean sheets average is 1 every 3.0 games. If I compare the same timeline as Tim (as I didn't include his time there) then it comes to 1 every 2.3.

If people are interested, the years before the comparison were (which bring the average to 1 in 3) :

2006 / 2007 Barclays Premier League : 20 Games 107 Saves 0 Clean Sheets
2005 / 2006 Barclays Premier League : 34 Games 139 Saves 0 Clean Sheets
2004 / 2005 Barclays Premier League : 35 Games 148 Saves 0 Clean Sheets

http://www.espnfc.com/player/13069/petr-cech?season=2013

I won't bother mentioning the defence and DMC that Cech has had infront of him over the years.

Edited by Matt

also from those stats Tim seems more durable, 38 a season except 3 seasons which were 36, 36, 37. begovic was the hot ticket a year or so ago, but once mignolet went to the shite, no one has really been interested in him (no rumors to other leagues that i've seen either). didn't have a standout world cup either (against 2 easy teams in the group, iran, nigeria, argentina). maybe he's not what everyone thought he was.