IGNORED

Tim Howard

Just found Nigel Martyns...

2005 / 2006 Barclays Premier League : 20 Games 91 Saves 0 Clean Sheets
2004 / 2005 Barclays Premier League : 32 Games 146 Saves 0 Clean Sheets
2003 / 2004 Barclays Premier League : 34 Games 168 Saves 0 Clean Sheets

No clean sheets in three seasons?

I counted nine in the stats for 05/06 :huh:.

I'm not, ESPN site is. Does seem complete nonsense though!

I just counted thirty (11,12, 7). Kind of draws all the info into disrepute; it also says Cech went three years without a clean sheet.

That's mega £s you owe me Matt (but I'll settle for a[nother] half time pint of Chang :P.

I just counted thirty (11,12, 7). Kind of draws all the info into disrepute; it also says Cech went three years without a clean sheet.

That's mega £s you owe me Matt (but I'll settle for a[nother] half time pint of Chang :P.

I've emailed ESPN about it. Don't like having an "official database" to back up my arguments with, if its made up of bullshit !

I discounted the 3 years of Cechs, but yeah makes me wonder. Mind you, those where there were clean sheets mentioned look accurate, I'm going to assume an error in the calculation before 2007/8

Edited by Matt

Matt it's impossiblee to compare because they play in different sides. Howard is playing in a much better side with better players in fromt of him.

He is a goal keeper he is there to make saves it's what he's paid to do. So listing his saving stats to justify him not costing us games is pointless.

He gets beat constantly at his near post from distance has no command of his area has mad rushes of blood to the head and drops clangers season in season ot.

How anyone can justify him making those mistakes on Sunday by him breaking a record on Thurs (not you by the way) absolutely astounds me. There was 3 really good saves against Wolfsburg. The other 10 were just routine saves or right at him. He made the saves, so what he's a goalkeeper that's hat he gets paid to do.

Him getting beat with soft goals all the time then his fuck ups cost us more games than he wins for us. I stand by that. You can't count routine saves as him winning a game for us, only when he's had a blunder AND we've won can you say that he won us a game.

That doen't happen very often.

I also hate it when the crowd chant U S A as well it makes me cringe so that makes me even more biased :P

Matt it's impossiblee to compare because they play in different sides. Howard is playing in a much better side with better players in fromt of him.

He is a goal keeper he is there to make saves it's what he's paid to do. So listing his saving stats to justify him not costing us games is pointless.

He gets beat constantly at his near post from distance has no command of his area has mad rushes of blood to the head and drops clangers season in season ot.

How anyone can justify him making those mistakes on Sunday by him breaking a record on Thurs (not you by the way) absolutely astounds me. There was 3 really good saves against Wolfsburg. The other 10 were just routine saves or right at him. He made the saves, so what he's a goalkeeper that's hat he gets paid to do.

Him getting beat with soft goals all the time then his fuck ups cost us more games than he wins for us. I stand by that. You can't count routine saves as him winning a game for us, only when he's had a blunder AND we've won can you say that he won us a game.

That doen't happen very often.

I also hate it when the crowd chant U S A as well it makes me cringe so that makes me even more biased :P

if it's impossible to compare, why are you comparing? ;)

not defending his mistakes mate. I'm just saying that he is a consistently good keeper with a proven record and a couple of dodgy performances early doors, and that other keepers being touted are more or less the same, actually less successful. You're keeper is only as good as his defence and since preseason he has had shit in front of him. Yes, stupid individual errors too but how many times have the defence let the ball get that far?

Can't blame him for the 1st or 3rd at the weekend, second is all him.

Also I've pretty much proven that he doesn't cost us more games, just check in the links.

Edited by Matt

if it's impossible to compare, why are you comparing? ;)

not defending his mistakes mate. I'm just saying that he is a consistently good keeper with a proven record and a couple of dodgy performances early doors, and that other keepers being touted are more or less the same, actually less successful. You're keeper is only as good as his defence and since preseason he has had shit in front of him. Yes, stupid individual errors too but how many times have the defence let the ball get that far?

Can't blame him for the 1st or 3rd at the weekend, second is all him.

Also I've pretty much proven that he doesn't cost us more games, just check in the links.

I'm not comparing them mate I'm stating I think Begovic is better just like I would say any player is better or worse.

As I've said, you cannot just say because he's made saves he's won us a match. It's what he's there to do. But errors do cost us games and he's prone to them and at the risk of sounding like a stuck record , he gets beat at his near post has no command of his area and is beaten a lot softly from long range.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on Timmy matey ;)

You just answered your own question. Obviously, he's still at Stoke for a reason. The grass always looks greener, as they say.

No I haven't because I wasn't questioning it I was just saying I was staggered he was still there. When he does leave though and it'll come soon enough it will be to a big team in the champions league which is why we could steal a march on him now

I'm not comparing them mate I'm stating I think Begovic is better just like I would say any player is better or worse.

As I've said, you cannot just say because he's made saves he's won us a match. It's what he's there to do. But errors do cost us games and he's prone to them and at the risk of sounding like a stuck record , he gets beat at his near post has no command of his area and is beaten a lot softly from long range.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on Timmy matey ;)

i was only pointing out that based on clean sheets, he has won us more points and proven it over a longer timescale.

Yes he has his faults but no more than anyone else.

i was only pointing out that based on clean sheets, he has won us more points and proven it over a longer timescale.

Yes he has his faults but no more than anyone else.

Like I say we'll agree to disagree mate.

Personally I think he's shocking and I've been whining for a new keeper for 4 years or more but I was praying he'd sorted himself out after a decent last season but it looks like it's back to square 1 with him.

About the second goal: Howard shouldn't have come out, but Campbell shouldn't have been that open. If Howard doesn't come out, Campbell still has a free header on the ball. The defense was asleep, just like they were that whole game. Why is no one covering Campbell's run?

The third goal was a disgrace to the entire defense. It's shocking how much space and time Bolasie had before receiving the pass.

Two of the goals could be considered Howard's fault, but the defense let them get too many easy chances, including the space on the penalty.

Obviously, there are better keepers out there, but mention one we could get for our budget and where that money couldn't be better spent somewhere else in the team.

About the second goal: Howard shouldn't have come out, but Campbell shouldn't have been that open. If Howard doesn't come out, Campbell still has a free header on the ball. The defense was asleep, just like they were that whole game. Why is no one covering Campbell's run?

The third goal was a disgrace to the entire defense. It's shocking how much space and time Bolasie had before receiving the pass.

Two of the goals could be considered Howard's fault, but the defense let them get too many easy chances, including the space on the penalty.

Obviously, there are better keepers out there, but mention one we could get for our budget and where that money couldn't be better spent somewhere else in the team.

my entire point is just that and even then, the difference between a keeper like Cech and Howard is not massive. Unless people are expecting Neuer, we need to appreciate how lucky we are with T-How

look at the stats I pulled before. Yes he is an excellent keeper but there isnt much in it stats wise.

Wouldn't it be better to look at goals conceded... Rather than just saved and clean sheets? Also these saves how many of them are world class etc.

At his best best Cech could have played for any team in the world. Can't be said for Howard. He's on the tier below.