IGNORED

Newcastle (Away)

markjazzbassist

Well after that shit show a draw is probably within reach here. seeing our record agaisnt lower opposition I could see another loss as well. It will be the same XI, no changes. But here is what I would like to see in fantasy world where shit players get dropped

Robles

Coleman stones Mori baines

Cleverley Barry

Gerry Barkley Mirallas

Lukaku

Subs - Naisy for Lukaku, Lennon for Gerry, besic for clev.

Robles

Coleman Stones Mori Baines

Cleverley Barry Besic

Deulofeu Lukaku Mirallas

Time for something new. Teams are confident of scoring past Tim, and up their game when playing against us which makes the defenses job harder.

Barkley needs to toughen up and take games by the scruff of the neck. Mirallas is a brat, but we need some attitude atm, tell him he keeps his place if we win give him some fire in his belly. Throw Besic in as he can get the crowd going with his workrate and tackling.

Guest rusty747

Newcastle are showing signs of a mini revival. With a full house and a hostile atmosphere I think we will be well beaten unless we get the fire in the belly from the start. I agree that Mirallas is a brat, but in the absence of a Gravesen or a Reid, I would play him and keep my fingers crossed that he puts in a shift and doesn't get sent off. I would also play Besic if Jimmy Mac isn't fit.

Edited by rusty747

Newcastle are showing signs of a mini revival. With a full house and a hostile atmosphere I think we will be well beaten unless we get the fire in the belly from the start. I agree that Mirallas is a brat, but in the absence of a Gravesen or a Reid, I would play him and keep my fingers crossed that he puts in a shift and doesn't get sent off. I would also play Besic if Jimmy Mac isn't fit.

I agree with starting Mirallas and Besic, I don't think TC has looked as comfortable in the more withdrawn role.

Hopefully Lukaku extends his scoring streak.

Robles

Coleman Stones Funes Mori Galloway

Besic Barry

Deulofeu Barkley Clev

Lukaku

Think newcastle pose less of a threat than stoke on the wings so start galloway here. Besic in so mccarthy can get the 2 extra days and go against stoke.

Get Clev off after 45 so he can sit in with McCarthy on Monday. Mirallas gets 45, then full start monday.

Get lukaku off after 60 so he can play monday.

Need to see newcastle off in the first half so these changes can be made.

We are not going to see any major changes due to the guy's arrogance or stupid belief the starting 11 from the previous 4 games can win a game.

I can only see 1 change and that will be either Naismith or Ossie replacing Kone. So that will bring us no more joy down that side as they are not natural wide men.

Call me a miserable git but when has Martinez ever changed the side to how all of us are crying out for?

When you have the likes of Cleverley, Ossie Naismith and Barry around the starting line up every team in the prem will run us ragged.

Edited by milesey05

We are not going to see any major changes due to the guy's arrogance or stupid belief the starting 11 from the previous 4 games can win a game.

I can only see 1 change and that will be either Naismith or Ossie replacing Kone. So that will bring us no more joy down that side as they are not natural wide men.

Call me a miserable git but when has Martinez ever changed the side to how all of us are crying out for?

When you have the likes of Cleverley, Ossie Naismith and Barry around the starting line up every team in the prem will run us ragged.

Osman and naismith have barely played. Barry has arguably been our best player and Cleverley is very good.

Osman and naismith have barely played. Barry has arguably been our best player and Cleverley is very good.

Think you missed my point Haf. Ossie or Naismith will be the change. Yes Barry has been good but with him and the other 2 we lack pace. Cleverley hasn't jumped out at me this season but i can only go off what i see on the T.V.

Edited by milesey05

Tough place to go for a Boxing Day game.

Be interesting to see if any changes are made.

I'd be quite happy taking a point from this.

A clean sheet would be nice as well.

are you for real, who else would you rather play then? no changes as per usual martinez other than kone out for lennon or naismith.

you would take a draw? cant belive that what a joke if were all accepting a draw with newcastle. its win or nothing for me, what good are these draws doing to the points tally? rather lose trying to go for it and attack than try to bore the opposition into a mistake bypassing it slowly around the halfway line whats that about.

most frustrating time to be an everton fan i can remember, we actually have the team to challenge aside from the fact everyteam is beating one another we have missed out big time on getting our club on the map this year

I don't understand all the calls for Besic...

What am I missing that makes him somehow better than both McCarthy and Cleverley (and sometimes Barry)? He's got fire, but he's got no composure. His passing is hit and miss. He's a liability more often than an asset.

I like the kid, but he's got a lot of work to put in and a lot of growing up to do.

Can somebody who rates him so high explain why they do so? If I see one connecting thread between Besic lovers, it's that they all seem to be reactionary, throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bath-water types.

Yes I'm for real. Touch of sarcasm in my original post (re changes being made)

If I had my way Robles would play, Besic (assuming McCarthy isn't fit) and Mirallas would start and Cleverley would be moved into Barkleys position.

This won't happen though.

Kone is in desperate need of a rest and Barkley needs something....

Given our recent results do you honestly believe we are going to go to a resurgent Newcastle on Boxing Day and win the game.

I would much rather we go and lose the game trying to win it, than get a draw trying not to lose it, but I'm realistic.

We will probably start with the same line up, dominate the first half and then go to shit after half time.

If you can be arsed read my posts in the Norwich match thread to get my opinion on how we are going this season.

In general mate I agree with you entirely. I'm very frustrated.

Edited by Deacs

Guest rusty747

What am I missing that makes him somehow better than both McCarthy and Cleverley (and sometimes Barry)? He's got fire, but he's got no composure. His passing is hit and miss. He's a liability more often than an asset.

I like the kid, but he's got a lot of work to put in and a lot of growing up to do.

Can somebody who rates him so high explain why they do so? If I see one connecting thread between Besic lovers, it's that they all seem to be reactionary, throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bath-water types.

I dont thnk Besic is better than McCarthy but I am not convinced McCarthy will be fit. Besic offers bite and a little bit of nastiness and steel which we have missed lately. Yes, he can be impetuous and there is always a chance he can mis time a tackle and get a straight red. But I would rather take that chance than continue in the same manner where we look pleasing on the eye, dominate teams, and draw or lose games that we should win at a canter. Edited by rusty747

I dont thnk Besic is better than McCarthy but I am not convinced McCarthy will be fit. Besic offers bite and a little bit of nastiness and steel which we have missed lately. Yes, he can be impetuous and there is always a chance he can mis time a tackle and get a straight red. But I would rather take that chance than continue in the same manner where we look pleasing on the eye, dominate teams, and draw or lose games that we should win at a canter.

Alongside Barry this year we might see the best of him.

mccarthy can't pass. all he does is run around and throw tackles and break up passes. he's great at it, but he doesn't help the transition game or add anything in attack. he's strictly defensive minded. besic and cleverley can do both. this adds another element to attack and transitions that is lacking with mccarthy. that is why people want besic or clev.

mccarthy can't pass. all he does is run around and throw tackles and break up passes. he's great at it, but he doesn't help the transition game or add anything in attack. he's strictly defensive minded. besic and cleverley can do both. this adds another element to attack and transitions that is lacking with mccarthy. that is why people want besic or clev.

I'm going to politely disagree with you. McCarthy doesn't often make those big "wow factor" passes. He doesn't do grandiose. But, he makes key passes. He makes the right choice when we are breaking forward. Sometimes that means passing it sideways. Generally, he keeps it short and on the carpet. There's nothing about that that means he can't pass. He's also got plenty of highlight reel through balls. I don't understand this assertion that there's nothing more to McCarthy's game than the defending. Maybe it's the role he's asked to play that sees him not doing all the things you'd like to see? While Cleverley has been in, doing a commendable job moving the ball about, we've also been lacking somebody who can clean up for our lack of defensive organization. That somebody is James McCarthy.

Anyhow, if you think he doesn't add to the transition game, you have a short memory. There are several examples here of his work in transition. Pay attention to it. Maybe you will have the "I didn't realize McCarthy was such a huge part of our play" moment:

http://youtu.be/N_MdRkdOh_k

The same McCarthy that won the ball back on the edge of our own area against Sunderland, passed it to Barkley, raced all the way up the pitch to receive the ball back from Barkley on the edge of the Sunderland penalty area, played a nice reverse pass for Kone to slot the ball home? Yeah, the lad is useless in transition and definitely cannot pass to save his life!

The same McCarthy that won the ball back on the edge of our own area against Sunderland, passed it to Barkley, raced all the way up the pitch to receive the ball back from Barkley on the edge of the Sunderland penalty area, played a nice reverse pass for Kone to slot the ball home? Yeah, the lad is useless in transition and definitely cannot pass to save his life!

yes and mori has scored one goal does that mean he's a forward now? FFS you're generalizing from one instance to a broad sense.

its just not his forte. ever seen him far up the pitch? if you do he's usually waffing a shot/pass in the box. the vast majority of mccarthy passes are short sideways or backwards passes. he doesn't play through balls to anyone. besic and clev and gibson have that ability. simple as that. doesn't mean better or worse, just different skill sets hence why people would want that.

yes and mori has scored one goal does that mean he's a forward now? FFS you're generalizing from one instance to a broad sense.

Nah, you're missing a lot of what he does. He doesn't just make the tackle that starts the counter, he puts other attacking players in a position to succeed with smart passing and solid runs. His engine alone makes him worthwhile. He has much more to his game and adds much more to our play though. Watch him closely. Seriously. I don't think Romey, Haf (who, if I remember correctly, also rates him) or myself are fabricating a false tale about some make believe James McCarthy.

Nah, you're missing a lot of what he does. He doesn't just make the tackle that starts the counter, he puts other attacking players in a position to succeed with smart passing and solid runs. His engine alone makes him worthwhile. He has much more to his game and adds much more to our play though. Watch him closely. Seriously. I don't think Romey, Haf (who, if I remember correctly, also rates him) or myself are fabricating a false tale about some make believe James McCarthy.

One of those boringly effective players. But very effective.

Maybe one week he may score 1 from 30 yards and not break up play and we lose, but he will get noticed... Probably have his goal on YouTube too.

you're misreading. never said he can't tackle and doesn't contribute. i simply said there are better passers than him. i'm not saying i don't like mccarthy just stating the obvious, he doesn't have a great forward pass on him. gibson does. clev and besic do as well. not slating james, he's a different kind of player. which is why people are calling for someone else.

you're misreading. never said he can't tackle and doesn't contribute. i simply said there are better passers than him. i'm not saying i don't like mccarthy just stating the obvious, he doesn't have a great forward pass on him. gibson does. clev and besic do as well. not slating james, he's a different kind of player. which is why people are calling for someone else.

And I think you're grossly underestimating his passing ability and vision just because he doesn't make Hollywood passes.