IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Martinez can be blamed for poor team selection and lack of timely and brave substitutions but players not taking chances and defenders making basic defensive errors can only be blamed on the players themselves

our midtable position can be attributed to both manager AND players equally contributing

both have to lift their game to lift us up the table

Martinez can be blamed for poor team selection and lack of timely and brave substitutions but players not taking chances and defenders making basic defensive errors can only be blamed on the players themselves

our midtable position can be attributed to both manager AND players equally contributing

both have to lift their game to lift us up the table

All very true but when the same players are repeatedly making the same mistakes and are still being selected week after week then the buck stops with the manager

If he is unable to get the best out of him, he needs to go. Clearly he can't, so I think we should be finding a replacement.

As I've alluded to elsewhere, you'd have been one of the guys screaming for Kendall to be sacked in 1983, when our performances were infinitely more depressing than they are now and we had crowds of 15,000.

I'd still give him time, we're very close to being very good imo.

Guest rusty747

Rusty, you were around back then. I assume you were calling for Kendall to be sacked in '83?

No, I wasn't but I will admit to being very pleasantly surprised at the success Kendall delivered from 84-87. I like Roberto and am desperate for his brand of football to succeed but it wont. He is 100% an ideals and philosophy man. That is commendable but doesn't win football matches or trophies.

We need to learn when to dig in and grind out a result.

If Roberto can learn how to do that and when to do that then I will be delighted. But he is very stubborn and I think he would see it as compromising his principles.

Edited by rusty747

No, I wasn't but I will admit to being very pleasantly surprised at the success Kendall delivered from 84-87. I like Roberto and am desperate for his brand of football to succeed but it wont. He is 100% an ideals and philosophy man. That is commendable but doesn't win football matches or trophies.

We need to learn when to dig in and grind out a result.

If Roberto can learn how to do that and when to do that then I will be delighted. But he is very stubborn and I think he would see it as compromising his principles.

best post I've seen for ages. Hit my thoughts exactly rust

Guest rusty747

Sure Martinez passes people off at times but have to give him this season he might just turn it around there's still a chance off a cup trophy and we are only 6 points off a champions league place.

I agree but it is so frustrating to see him send the same team out, to play the same way, to make the same mistakes, to lose points.

Bournemouth, Palace, Norwich, Leicester. Four consecutive games where we dominated but lost points because we couldn't turn domination into goals and were porous at the back. That should have been fixed at Finch Farm after the Bournemouth game if Martinez was a winner.

Edited by rusty747

Forget the last minute Barkley goal at Bournemouth we were two nil up at half time. Palace I can forgive because we never got our noses in front. Norwich again in front at half time. Leicester at home. The overriding things in all these matches were the inability to kill teams off or the inflexability of our manager to taken the game by the scruff of the neck and change things. I get a sense the players like Martinez but he isn't the man.

I see it as a step by step process.

First step is getting us to play a system.

After that he should work on the finer points.

Am I the only one who thinks we are a much better and more exciting team than last year?

After the best part of three years he's still trying to get us to play a system. So, we're still on the first step... :unsure:

After the best part of three years he's still trying to get us to play a system. So, we're still on the first step... :unsure:

thank you. the system is outdated. what next the players bring back "frosted tips" hair style and parachute pants? it's not 2009 Barca, it's 2016 and that has been sussed out. Clearly evident by the shit teams beating us due to the known "park the bus" kryptonite to barca's style. best team we've had in years, moyes had the likes of neville, straq, bily, etc on the bench some real shit and we have mirallas lennon naisy and we need more time? half the teams in the prem wish they had our squad, it's not their fault, its the manager.

His post match comments are condescending. He has the same bullshit-itis Rodgers hads, that the even delirious Kopites got fed up of.

On top of that he has too much faith in keeping possession rather than winning. He should be looking at Mourinho and Alladyce, rather than keeping preaching the Barca way.

He said recently that the next 8 weeks (now 7) the most important thing was how we play and not how many points we get... Absolute crazy talk.

He said recently that the next 8 weeks (now 7) the most important thing was how we play and not how many points we get... Absolute crazy talk.

He must be auditioning for the Barca job. Madness that the club haven't put any pressure on him, he's wasted another season. If he didn't dick about we could be top right now.

thank you. the system is outdated. what next the players bring back "frosted tips" hair style and parachute pants? it's not 2009 Barca, it's 2016 and that has been sussed out. Clearly evident by the shit teams beating us due to the known "park the bus" kryptonite to barca's style. best team we've had in years, moyes had the likes of neville, straq, bily, etc on the bench some real shit and we have mirallas lennon naisy and we need more time? half the teams in the prem wish they had our squad, it's not their fault, its the manager.

I agree with this crazy 'Murican!