IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Thanks to peteO for this link. The analysis in this article hits home, repeatedly. Repeatedly. Easily the most pointed yet sensible critique I have read.

RM's "endless capacity to embrace phantom positives is a hollow virtue." Check. "His ability to sidestep salient negatives is a rich source of frustration." Check. Everton "are never more than one mis-step away from falling over themselves.... [and] have come to specialize in self-defeat." Check and check. "The story is [Everton's] sloppiness and the growing suspicion that these players aren't being held to anything like a high enough standard." Check. "There are never any visible consequences of defeat and players don't appear to suffer as a result of under-performance." Check.

"This team needs to grow a winning texture." Check. "That's a manager's job and, from the week-to-week evidence, it's a task which Martinez is evidently neglecting." Triple check.

If Roberto's philosophy, strategy, and tactics do not in fact change but nevertheless soon produce wins, maybe it's just been some bad luck, and the above analysis will be shown to have been overwrought, silly panic. I'd prefer that he show some flexibility, beginning Saturday with a somewhat altered starting team and active use of 3 substitutes.

So, only people who have done something in the game can have an opinion? Do you not have opinions?

Pretty much the ones I pay attention too, I apply it across all aspects of my life too not just football.

Medical opinions from people in medicine, financial opinions from people who have actually made some money etc etc

On the one hand the critics of Martinez say that Everton have the best team for years and on the other hand they say Martinez should go. But the present team is largely down to Martinez.

He joined Everton in May 2013 the following September he signed Romelu Lukaku on loan in an audacious swoop under the noses of West Brom.

He signed Gerry Deulofeu on loan from Barcelona ~ not mant managers would have been able to do.

John Stones and Barkley were at the club when he came but he has developed them from teenagers to the players they are today.

He brought in Robles, Kone and McCarthy from Wigan ~ they have all been successes ~ in fact I can't think of anyone he has brought in who has been a failure.

Martinez has done all this on a relative shoestring and made millions for Everton Football club.

Who do the doom-mongers want to replace Roberto? Brendan Rogers, Louis Val Gaal or other celebrity managers who have lost their clubs hundreds of millions. The first thing a celebrity manager will ask is what is my transfer budget.

Please don't think I think he is perfect He grates me in his post match interviews. nobody's perfect so I put up with that

I think he should use substitutes better. every match 14 players should be used, if there are no enforced Substitutes the bench should be used at roughly 60mins, 70mins, and 80mins. Again I put up with that rather than call for him to be sacked.

Last season everthing went wrong for Leicester, but this season everything is going right for them.

Lets hope the tide will turn for Everton in the New year starting with 9 points over the Festive Season

Pretty much the ones I pay attention too, I apply it across all aspects of my life too not just football.

Medical opinions from people in medicine, financial opinions from people who have actually made some money etc etc

Why do you come on a forum then? I mean, it's a place for people to share their opinions and the majority of us have never been involved in the game in any real way.

You don't have to have been involved in the game, or achieved anything in the game, to be right about a subject. The same way having achieved something in the game doesn't make you right either.

Just seems a bit of an odd stance to me. Oh well!

Why do you come on a forum then? I mean, it's a place for people to share their opinions and the majority of us have never been involved in the game in any real way.

You don't have to have been involved in the game, or achieved anything in the game, to be right about a subject. The same way having achieved something in the game doesn't make you right either.

Just seems a bit of an odd stance to me. Oh well!

Because occasionally there is some chat other than "should the manager be sacked or not."

I asked for opinions on what Gerry was doing when Bournemouth scored that first goal in the Gerry thread, people are more interested in discussing why it was Roberto's fault we lost that game though.

Because occasionally there is some chat other than "should the manager be sacked or not."

I asked for opinions on what Gerry was doing when Bournemouth scored that first goal in the Gerry thread, people are more interested in discussing why it was Roberto's fault we lost that game though.

Surely nobody on here would be qualified to tell you what Gerry was doing? :P;) Edited by Romey 1878

Surely nobody on here would be qualified to tell you what Gerry was doing? :P;)

Funnily enough I've seen my kids take up better defensive positions, I should ask them.

Regardless, its the 80th minute and were 2 nil up away from home, what are both these players still doing on the field?

Edited by Chach

A blast from the past...

[James McCarthy] has played 13 games where he has played +45 minutes and there are 13 games where he never played or didn't complete more than 45 minutes. So its a good sample size.

• In the 13 games he has featured as per criteria above. We have won 23 points - 1.76 per game. In the 13 games he never featured we have won 9 points - 0.69 per game.
  • In the 13 games he featured we scored 28 goals - 2.15 per game. In the games he never we scored 11 goals - 0.84 per game
  • In the 13 games he featured we conceded 18 goals - 1.38 per game. The games he didnt play we conceded 19.
top and bottom, of it MC is he is soooooo important to us,

Personally, I suggest this has been a factor in the last few games. James McCarthy is a key member of this team.

In the Echo

'Funes Mori, 24, has revealed that the Blues continue to work hard on defending corners and free-kicks in training and know they must become nastier.We have been conceding set-piece goals recently and so we have been working on that and we know we need to maintain our concentration and focus in those situations, he said.'

In the Echo

'Funes Mori, 24, has revealed that the Blues continue to work hard on defending corners and free-kicks in training and know they must become nastier.We have been conceding set-piece goals recently and so we have been working on that and we know we need to maintain our concentration and focus in those situations, he said.'

The words horse and bolt spring to mind but at least the penny has finally dropped

In the Echo

That would take common sense to believe. Sadly most Evertonians can only read black and white and believe that we don't EVER train on defending or attacking free kicks.

Must be true because Ossie said ;-)

traditionally we've only gotten stronger as the season goes on, even last season after Feb we improved. So mid table this season will really surprise me.

If it's a tradition it's surely not down to the manager.... All the big boys away from home in second half of season

If it's a tradition it's surely not down to the manager.... All the big boys away from home in second half of season

im not sayin its goin to be easy, but this season we've corrected the boring bullshit play of last season, we just need to tighten up. As frustrating as this season has been at times we've improved massively. There's progress, it's just annoying to suffer through.

More to the point! I thought Kone was the main culprit for that goal. If he'd have closed him down he wouldn't have been able to shoot!

He sees Gerry coming across and moves back to block any pass back to the corner

Wa2PeM4.png

Gerry then abandons his post and goes for a jog up field

FaqL5NG.png

The way I see it Kone had two jobs to do, Gerry had one.

He sees Gerry coming across and moves back to block any pass back to the corner

Wa2PeM4.png

Gerry then abandons his post and goes for a jog up field

FaqL5NG.png

The way I see it Kone had two jobs to do, Gerry had one.

Disagree, if you'd shown the frame as the balls been cleared and before King? takes a touch Kone is running straight towards him. Most Likely Gerry's seen that and is banking on Kone winning the challenge.

What Kone then does is suicidal. He completely stops closing him down to try and cover the bloke who's taken the corner! And that's what you get for having a striker playing LM, he had an absolute stinker of a second half there.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, at no stage is Kone closing him down he's always looking to stop the pass back to the corner because Gerry has reacted first and is best placed to make the challenge.

It's a split second thing, position dictates Kone has choices to make, Gerry doesn't.

bgZh281.png