Sign in to follow this  
MC11

Martinez - Direction?

In that case then he needs a serious rethink on defensive tactics and a solid, reliable old pro to come in and take charge of that backline. Remember how good Richard Gough was when he first came in? His sort of character would do us the world of good, on the training pitch as well as in actual games. I'd even suggest moving Stones into midfield, like Dier at Spurs, and go for a really experienced centre back pairing just to stop the rot short term.

What we would do with a Gough now.

Exactly what we need...or a Watson.

Sorry but that is just laughable

I could point out a good few goals where Stones has been at fault this season... Ball watching most of the time. Mori hasn't put a foot wrong and people are trying to use him as an excuse of our poor defending.

I'd expect nothing less from you though as you rate a middle of the road centre half in Jagielka so highly.

I could point out a good few goals where Stones has been at fault this season... Ball watching most of the time. Mori hasn't put a foot wrong and people are trying to use him as an excuse of our poor defending.

I'd expect nothing less from you though as you rate a middle of the road centre half in Jagielka so highly.

You have been watching a different team to me if you don't think Mori has been at fault for any goals this season

You have been watching a different team to me if you don't think Mori has been at fault for any goals this season

Only time I've seen him make a mistake was away at Reading on his debut when he played left back and list his man. Other than that he's been fine and certainly no worse than Jagielka or Stones. The latter being terrible

Only time I've seen him make a mistake was away at Reading on his debut when he played left back and list his man. Other than that he's been fine and certainly no worse than Jagielka or Stones. The latter being terrible

You don't recall the penalty he gave away with some schoolboy defending?

I think he's been very good for us but he's made his fair share of fuck ups as well.

You don't recall the penalty he gave away with some schoolboy defending?

I think he's been very good for us but he's made his fair share of fuck ups as well.

If that's the only thing you can point out he must be doing very well. A fair share would be at least a few, point them out. Problem here is people are trying to excuse Stones for the new boy. I've said Stones has been crap since the summer which he has. The bloke got tore a new one when he gave the penalty away at Stoke. He ball watched for both Arsenal goals. He sold himself like a "schoolboy" on the opening day of the season against Watford and that's just off the top of my head.

What about when he got the wrong side of his man and gave away a soft penalty against Leicester?

Was it West Brom he overran the ball and gave it away leading to another goal?

The lad has looked very shakey on numerous occasions but gets away with it because hes the new boy. Don't get me wrong overall he has looked decent considering he is a young lad coming in to a foreign league but I think a lot of people tend to turn a blind eye to his mistakes

Give him 18 months and the boo boys will soon be on his case

What about when he got the wrong side of his man and gave away a soft penalty against Leicester?

Was it West Brom he overran the ball and gave it away leading to another goal?

The lad has looked very shakey on numerous occasions but gets away with it because hes the new boy. Don't get me wrong overall he has looked decent considering he is a young lad coming in to a foreign league but I think a lot of people tend to turn a blind eye to his mistakes

Give him 18 months and the boo boys will soon be on his case

He hasn't made a lot of mistakes though. Its people looking for an answer to why we've been so bad at the back. I suggest people look no further than Stones. Just watched Stoke highlights again. I'd say he was culpable for their first as well - got dragged out of position by Bojan who then far too easily beats him and sets up the goal.

I think your looking for Mori to make mistakes because you're unsure about him. Whereas Stones is getting off

He hasn't made a lot of mistakes though. Its people looking for an answer to why we've been so bad at the back. I suggest people look no further than Stones. Just watched Stoke highlights again. I'd say he was culpable for their first as well - got dragged out of position by Bojan who then far too easily beats him and sets up the goal.

I think your looking for Mori to make mistakes because you're unsure about him. Whereas Stones is getting off

There is no doubt Stones makes mistakes but he is a young lad learning his game , as is Mori .but I honestly believe he makes less than Mori and is in a different class to him

I think you have had it in for Stones since the summer and are waiting for him to make a mistake just to jump on his back

You are right in that I'm unsure about Mori, I had never heard of him so I think that's fair enough

I believe Jags is our best defender even though Stones and Mori may well turn out to be better players given time

There is no doubt Stones makes mistakes but he is a young lad learning his game , as is Mori .but I honestly believe he makes less than Mori and is in a different class to him

I think you have had it in for Stones since the summer and are waiting for him to make a mistake just to jump on his back

You are right in that I'm unsure about Mori, I had never heard of him so I think that's fair enough

I believe Jags is our best defender even though Stones and Mori may well turn out to be better players given time

I don't think Stones is the player of last year for sure. He's made a lot of mistakes this year and it's not because I'm waiting for him to make them. Sunderland at home for Defoe's goal... Another Stones mistake.

I honestly think it's not one persons fault. I think we need a tough cunt at the back like a shawcross who is no nonsense. Howard obviously doesn't command his six yard box which leads to confidence issues at the back and Baines has been a bit meh

Baines has only played 1 or 2 games ?

Let's see how we look when we finally get our strongest back 4 out, Coleman, stones, Jags and Baines. Mori for me, has exceeded expectations coming in from a league no where near our level. Galloway has done a brilliant job but was caught out badly (IMO) against stoke.

Because Mori and Galloway have had extended runs in the team because of injuries, I think people tend to forget that they are primarily 'squad players'. In the circumstances, I think both players have done an excellent job and it is good to know that we have such quality available if needed.

Let's get it right. Some players can do no wrong, Stones is one of them... after all we are lucky to have them aren't we?

One player in a similar position makes the same mistake and they get roasted. I've said this for a while.

Let's get it right. Some players can do no wrong, Stones is one of them... after all we are lucky to have them aren't we?

One player in a similar position makes the same mistake and they get roasted. I've said this for a while.

Jags has gone untouched for years. Him stones and Howard have all not been good enough this year.

"Everton have struggled to put away the chances they have created this season"[/size]

Really? Only City and Leicester have scored more (37 each v 35). Mostly a fair article but get your facts right.

Scary thing is, we have missed a lot of chances and had we taken them, we would probably be the top scoring team.

Scary thing is, we have missed a lot of chances and had we taken them, we would probably be the top scoring team.

City, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs would probably all say they've missed chances as well.

Guest rusty747

Lets be honest here. We have scored enough goals to be a solid top four team. The problem is that we have also conceded enough goals to be a bottom three team.

We have to stop giving silly goals away. Its not one or two is it - its maybe 10-15 that we shouldn't have conceded.

We need a new 'keeper and a Shawcross character at the back. Ratcliffe and Mountfield could play a bit but nobody messed with them as they were both hard as nails. That is what we are missing and until we fix this issue we are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

City, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs would probably all say they've missed chances as well.

Depends on the shots on target/Goal ratio,no? Most goals in the Prem are teams ranked 1, 2, 3, 4, and 11. Guess who sits 11th? BARRRFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as Jags is fit he needs to be playing. I'd drop Stones just to give him a bit of a rest, with Jags in there I'd also drop Howard.

At the moment with Howard, Baines, Mori, Stones and Coleman, no one is organising the defence. No one is getting a bollocking when things go wrong. As ever we are to soft and to nice. I don't expect Jags to hand out bollockings either, but he can organise a defence.

Just my thoughts anyway.

As soon as Jags is fit he needs to be playing. I'd drop Stones just to give him a bit of a rest, with Jags in there I'd also drop Howard.

At the moment with Howard, Baines, Mori, Stones and Coleman, no one is organising the defence. No one is getting a bollocking when things go wrong. As ever we are to soft and to nice. I don't expect Jags to hand out bollockings either, but he can organise a defence.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Don't think you're wide of the mark. Stones is over relied on and Howard should be dropped. I think Stones is great but Mori and Jags might be worth a run just to get Stones going again.

Stones needs a hard cold slap of reality. Far too much talk about him being a footballing centre half and he appears to lose focus on the basics.

I think too much talk gone to his head.

He looks very much like David Luiz at the moment; a brilliant footballer but not much of a defender.

He looks very much like David Luiz at the moment; a brilliant footballer but not much of a defender.

im likely going to be crucified for suggesting this, but when Jags is fit again and McCarthy is still out, I would put him next to Barry for s couple of games

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-leighton-baines-good-ever-10675105

Still talks a good game, now if only he can sort our defence/goalkeeper issues out!

“We are Everton and as manager I take responsibility, we have to be a winning team.
I know that we haven’t won a title for a long, long time but it is in our DNA we should be winning titles and we should be achieving to win games, not just to compete in games or hope for a win and try to keep a clean sheet in order to score a goal.

“Everton brings a certain responsibility and that’s what I am looking forward to in the next five months. I think we have the players with the character to cope with that, the players with the talent to play that type of football. We are not there yet otherwise we would be top of the league but that’s the way we are going in the next five months.”

im likely going to be crucified for suggesting this, but when Jags is fit again and McCarthy is still out, I would put him next to Barry for s couple of games

Hello Mo Besic, you're not going to play while there is a spot in your position, we're going to play John Stones there instead. Get comfortable on the bench.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-leighton-baines-good-ever-10675105

Still talks a good game, now if only he can sort our defence/goalkeeper issues out!

We are Everton and as manager I take responsibility, we have to be a winning team.

I know that we havent won a title for a long, long time but it is in our DNA we should be winning titles and we should be achieving to win games, not just to compete in games or hope for a win and try to keep a clean sheet in order to score a goal.

Everton brings a certain responsibility and thats what I am looking forward to in the next five months. I think we have the players with the character to cope with that, the players with the talent to play that type of football. We are not there yet otherwise we would be top of the league but thats the way we are going in the next five months.

It's better than talking about penknives to gun fights and how top 10 is a great finish for a club like Everton.

It's better than talking about penknives to gun fights and how top 10 is a great finish for a club like Everton.

I wasn't having a pop at him I genuinely believe he can turn us into a good team if he finally wakes up to the defensive frailties and puts some work in on the training ground to address them

And at the moment I would take a top 10 finish!

I wasn't having a pop at him I genuinely believe he can turn us into a good team if he finally wakes up to the defensive frailties and puts some work in on the training ground to address them

And at the moment I would take a top 10 finish!

That's the thing, I like the fact that he has verbally recognised what we are as a club. If he can evolve then I believe we will have a great manager.

That's the thing, I like the fact that he has verbally recognised what we are as a club. If he can evolve then I believe we will have a great manager.

To be fair I think we have evolved from last season. The football then was atrocious but now we get the ball forward much faster and Rom has been reaping the benefits. Its just the defensive shambles that is so frustrating

If you play in a pub team the 2 centre halves decide before the game who is going to attack the header and who is going to sweep up behind where as ours just stand there and watch Howard doing star jumps as the ball sails into the net. It all boils down to a total lack of organisation which has to be addressed by Roberto and the coaches at Finch Farm,

Hello Mo Besic, you're not going to play while there is a spot in your position, we're going to play John Stones there instead. Get comfortable on the bench.

you know I'm a big fan of Mo, but RM doesn't seem interested in playing him. Stones striding up the pitch with the ball with 2 CB behind him makes sense as an option.

2014/2015 Season: After 19 games played EFC sat in 12th place with a total of 21 points (GF=29, GA=31)

2015/2016 Season: After 19 games played EFC sits in 11th place with a total of 26 points (GF=35, GA=28)

2014/2015 Season: After 19 games played EFC sat in 12th place with a total of 21 points (GF=29, GA=31)

2015/2016 Season: After 19 games played EFC sits in 11th place with a total of 26 points (GF=35, GA=28)

We have to counter in the fact that we've had no Europa League, played virtually all the big boys at home this time round. Tough away fixtures coming up.

We have to counter in the fact that we've had no Europa League, played virtually all the big boys at home this time round. Tough away fixtures coming up.

True. The most damning statistic for me (besides we are virtually in the same place as last year) is the GA amount for both seasons. So close thus far, and its what is killing us. Clearly the defence needs much work in training, tactics, skill, etc but when you look at the supposed "progress" we have made this season, the numbers don't lie....there is almost no improvement in that department.

Moyes final season........................ 23 conceded.

Well there you have it. Martinez can talk up and down a horses arse for three days straight but the numbers at the end of the day are all that matters.

Yesterday, West Ham had about 35% possession yet beat the shite 2-0. Their defence ultimately did the talking and won the game for them.

Man for man the Spurs team yesterday on paper was no better than ours, apart from lloris it is equal quality. Yet they completely out played us first half and are doing way better than us in the league. Now that has to be down to the manager. I can't see us producing the consistency in results with Martinez in charge. He just doesn't seem that way inclined. Unfortunately the same as he was at Wigan but fortunately he's working with better players. Imagine where we'd be if Pochettino was in charge of us. Could you see us losing 3-4 at home with him in charge?

I will be very interested to see how he reacted to stones and colemans display of unneccessary dribbling in risky areas - for me it epitomised what is wrong with our defence. We play like a bunch of show ponys in a soccer 6 tournament - the lads who refuse to use the keeper as a means of getting the ball safe "because thay are too good for that and passing it back is like a blow to the ego".

This is where I think he is going wrong he wants plaudits for the way he plays.... "its not happenening Roberto! - you have actually got a good side there which you can take credit for but the way you are having them play in a carefree manner is a disgrace"

Im all for "no fear" - but not "never mind". I think other managers and teams will want to punish this arrogance.

I will be very interested to see how he reacted to stones and colemans display of unneccessary dribbling in risky areas - for me it epitomised what is wrong with our defence. We play like a bunch of show ponys in a soccer 6 tournament - the lads who refuse to use the keeper as a means of getting the ball safe "because thay are too good for that and passing it back is like a blow to the ego".

This is where I think he is going wrong he wants plaudits for the way he plays.... "its not happenening Roberto! - you have actually got a good side there which you can take credit for but the way you are having them play in a carefree manner is a disgrace"

Im all for "no fear" - but not "never mind". I think other managers and teams will want to punish this arrogance.

He won't say anything, it's exactly what he wants.

' Martinez ' + ' Direction ' are just two words that i can't have in the same sentence. The guy is so out of his depth it's not true, i agree with the above comment that he is just using us to finish his apprenticeship.

Man for man the Spurs team yesterday on paper was no better than ours, apart from lloris it is equal quality. Yet they completely out played us first half and are doing way better than us in the league. Now that has to be down to the manager. I can't see us producing the consistency in results with Martinez in charge. He just doesn't seem that way inclined. Unfortunately the same as he was at Wigan but fortunately he's working with better players. Imagine where we'd be if Pochettino was in charge of us. Could you see us losing 3-4 at home with him in charge?

theyre how many points ahead of us?

Pocheettino has got the balance right between attack & defence. 34 scored 16 conceded.