IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Nobody believed Kendall was capable of them either, and they thought we needed major surgery rather than simple tweaks.

I kept the faith then and I'm keeping the faith now. 13,000 odd at Goodison for a 0-0 v Coventry? It's not often been worse, we are so much better than we were then, so much potential. To make a change now would be knee-jerk madness.

I'm all for seeing managers get a fair crack at the job I really am.

The thing is we have the best starting 11 players IMO to grace our pitch for the last 25 years. If our season doesn't pick up or Roberto can't do the basics then you won't see a better Everton team for the next 25 years.

I'm all for seeing managers get a fair crack at the job I really am.

The thing is we have the best starting 11 players IMO to grace our pitch for the last 25 years. If our season doesn't pick up or Roberto can't do the basics then you won't see a better Everton team for the next 25 years.

So you sack the guy who has put them there? Sounds fair.

Despite my best efforts to suspend reality the sad fact is that Martinez teams have an aversion to defending.

Martinez has put a fantastic team together, building on the foundations of Mr Moyes. He has us playing very attractive attacking football.

But he just cant get us to defend. I want Martines to be our manager, but he needs to get a defensive coach and an experienced CB to help Stones and Mori.

Despite my best efforts to suspend reality the sad fact is that Martinez teams have an aversion to defending.

Martinez has put a fantastic team together, building on the foundations of Mr Moyes. He has us playing very attractive attacking football.

But he just cant get us to defend. I want Martines to be our manager, but he needs to get a defensive coach and an experienced CB to help Stones and Mori.

Do we not have one :huh:?

We were hardly keeping clean sheets when he was playing. Think I read that we'd conceded 8 in the four games before he got injured. So 2 a game. Not as bad as four admittedly, but not exactly indicative of him making us solid at the back.

I was going on info from Josh and he seemed confident on it. May be wrong.

Still want him back in the team asap.

I was going on info from Josh and he seemed confident on it. May be wrong.

Still want him back in the team asap.

I'm probably wrong because it's not a stat I actually read myself, just something from someone else.

I want him back too but I do think it's over stretching things to think it'll all be sorted with him back. I've spent all season being terrified of our defence :unsure:.

Romey had some real truth. There are some things Roberto does bar none. Recruitment of players has grown leaps and bounds. Henen Lukaku Barry McCarthy holgate foulds Gerry cleverley Lennon the man certainly has a good way with transfers.

He's also a confidence man. People really want to play and love to play for him. Cleverley Barry Gerry McCarthy Lennon all took "lesser" job because Martinez is one hell of a negotiator or just good at confidence and letting them play without micromanaging.

He doesn't get too down. I heard jags do a radio of a league cup match and he said the gaffer never has too much to say at any half and always is trying to just encourage the players. Sounds like the players who need a hug round the shoulder love the man cause he never gives them the hair dryer treatment.

He really does some things very very well. We have got a hell of a squad. If only he could take it to the next level and just get that defense and GK sorted we'd be top of the league.

We were hardly keeping clean sheets when he was playing. Think I read that we'd conceded 8 in the four games before he got injured. So 2 a game. Not as bad as four admittedly, but not exactly indicative of him making us solid at the back.

v Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool and West Brom (which we won). Skewed by the freak ManU result and the circumstances of it I think. First six games of the season we conceded five. Since he's been out we've let in fifteen in nine and that's coincided with our "easier" run of games after the difficult opening.

v Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool and West Brom (which we won). Skewed by the freak ManU result and the circumstances of it I think. First six games of the season we conceded five. Since he's been out we've let in fifteen in nine and that's coincided with our "easier" run of games after the difficult opening.

The thing is though, Mike, it doesn't seem to matter who we play at the back; we ship goals. That's a very big problem.

The thing is though, Mike, it doesn't seem to matter who we play at the back; we ship goals. That's a very big problem.

We didn't at the start of the season though...

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2015-2016/table/2015-09-28

Jags is a bigger miss than people are realising imo. When he comes back if we can get the goals against average down to one a game again then we'll move up the table pretty rapidly.

Just looked at the table - consider this fact:

Only 5 teams in the prem have scored more than 30 goals this season - 4 of them are ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....and the other is EFC..... ranked 11th. Clearly there are major, major issues when you look at that fact. Defence not working, perhaps?

The one player who's been shit for months is John Stones. We'll leak goals with anyone partnering him at the moment. I'd like to see Jags and Mori.

However I don't agree that we'll sure up when Jags is back unless Stones is dropped.

Do you not think Mori has been pretty dire the last few games?

Against stoke it seemed like if he was anywhere near his man he was getting in Howard's way.

Two very interesting articles Dunc has posted above. In the first, the stats on where we rank for defensive play is damning - worst in the league heading, 19th for winning the ball back from the opposition. 19th! If Martinez has taken his football philosophy straight from La Mancha, he has missed a crucial point - Barca thrive when they press high in packs and win the ball back early.

The second just underlines what I have been posting the past fortnight - our results have been dreadful for 18 months. This is not a blip, it is systemic underachievement. I for one hate the 'great entertainers' tag, we've become like Newcastle under clown Keegan, but even they had a tilt at the title!

Again, we don't press because we aren't coached to do so. We let teams out run us because we aren't coached to work hard enough. We can't defend crosses because we aren't coached to do so. This is Martinez's 7th season as a manager, can you see him changing his philosophy in the next 5 months?

Edited by nogs

I hope he doesn't change it.

He should try to modify it to include a more robust defence...but he should definitely stick with his attacking philosophy.

I prefer watching us this season compared to last season by a mile. Even though it's frustrating at the moment.

If he could improve our defence ding by 50% then we would have an entirely different look at it.

I hope he doesn't change it.

He should try to modify it to include a more robust defence...but he should definitely stick with his attacking philosophy.

I prefer watching us this season compared to last season by a mile. Even though it's frustrating at the moment.

If he could improve our defence ding by 50% then we would have an entirely different look at it.

In that case then he needs a serious rethink on defensive tactics and a solid, reliable old pro to come in and take charge of that backline. Remember how good Richard Gough was when he first came in? His sort of character would do us the world of good, on the training pitch as well as in actual games. I'd even suggest moving Stones into midfield, like Dier at Spurs, and go for a really experienced centre back pairing just to stop the rot short term. Edited by nogs

In that case then he needs a serious rethink on defensive tactics and a solid, reliable old pro to come in and take charge of that backline. Remember how good Richard Gough was when he first came in? His sort of character would do us the world of good, on the training pitch as well as in actual games. I'd even suggest moving Stones into midfield, like Dier at Spurs, and go for a really experienced centre back pairing just to stop the rot short term.

What we would do with a Gough now.

Exactly what we need...or a Watson.