IGNORED

New investment (finally)!

Louis

I really don't know about this! (The people coming in I mean). You just get the feeling that vultures are coming in to take advantage of the huge TV deals to later walk away with massive profits. Leaving clubs in a bad way! Give me a Monsour or Abramovic any day but not a yank consortium! They seem to get into these sports teams and flog them off not too far later. All about pulling the plug for the biggest amount of profit and not caring what mess is left behind.

I believe the consortium was made up of people on both sides of the pond.

The monetary incentive to win is also much greater in the EPL/UEFA than in any of the American sports leagues. This gives me hope, should this go through.

Agreed. They are investment minded and will know staying up is paramount to monetary value. So they can't tank like they did the Padres because their investment will be worth less than what they paid if we are relegated. They will know Europe and top 5 equals lots of tv money and other money that would increase the value of their club and investment.

I really don't know about this! (The people coming in I mean). You just get the feeling that vultures are coming in to take advantage of the huge TV deals to later walk away with massive profits. Leaving clubs in a bad way! Give me a Monsour or Abramovic any day but not a yank consortium! They seem to get into these sports teams and flog them off not too far later. All about pulling the plug for the biggest amount of profit and not caring what mess is left behind.

There's bits of this in how I feel too.

Certainly with the vultures and TV deal part.

Evertonians need to be careful what they wish for, been saying this for a long time.

People look at City and Chelsea and bemoan that that's what we need, yet forget about the umpteen other takeovers that have led to clubs bring worse off. There is plenty of examples.

And as mentioned earlier, Bill is ill. Is he really in a prime position to decide?

Since the financial collapse of 2008, there have been many examples of US based (no offence at all to our American buddies on this forum!) hedge fund type companies 'investing' in uk firms (mainly retailers with good property portfolios) using leveraged buy outs. The aim is to make as much money as possible...many of these uk based companies collapse. But guess who still makes a shit load of money? You know it!!! I despise this barely legal set up.

These blokes don't sound like they have enough money to come in, buy the club outright, build a new stadium, and invest heavily in the team. So what do they want? Or, more to the point, where will the money come from and what cost?

They're not going to come in and suddenly our commercial income doubles overnight.

They'll do what they all do...borrow money from their mates, with nice interest rates that rely on a set aspect of our income to pay it back. Isn't that just the same place as we are in now?

Sorry to sound so dubious here. I don't mean to be a killjoy but people really need to step back and think before getting excited that someone is coming in to throw all their money our way with no strings attached.

Be careful what you wish for.

I tried googling this guy but couldn't find anything about how he's been doing with 1860.

He invested 18m Euros.

"1860 came close to insolvency for a second time in five years in 2011 when it needed €8 million to survive. Help was offered to the club by local rival Bayern Munich, to the disgust of the supporters of each club, since Bayern was to lose €50 million in future stadium rent if the club defaulted on its rental contract obligations until 2025.[citation needed] Eventually, the club was rescued by Jordanian investor Hasan Abdullah Ismaik, who purchased for €18 million, 60 percent of the club's professional team's operating company '1860 GmbH & Co. KGaA, however his voting rights being restricted to 49% due to regulations governing German football, which is based around membership led clubs and not entrepreneurial. H. I. Squared International, a company controlled by Ismaik, took over the marketing of the club from IMG.[1][2]
The 2014–15 season saw the club finish sixteenth in the 2. Bundesliga. It was forced to participate in the relegation play-offs against Holstein Kiel where it retained its league place with a 2–1 home win after a 0–0 draw in the first leg. 1860 survived courtesy to an injury time goal by defender Kai Bülow in front of 57,000 spectators in Munich."

They're currently 17th (of 18) in the second tier of the Bundesliga.

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/germany/2-bundesliga/20152016/regular-season/r31469/

Doesn't inspire a great amount of optimism.

I agree, though ideally I want someone who is going to come in and run the club for the love of the game.

Everton is more than a business venture -- it is a community club -- and I want whomever takes over to realize that beforehand.

I'm not sure Moores would realize that.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I agree, though ideally I want someone who is going to come in and run the club for the love of the game.

Everton is more than a business venture -- it is a community club -- and I want whomever takes over to realize that beforehand.

I'm not sure Moores would realize that.

We already have that :-)

I would (marginally) prefer a billionaire who was in for an ego trip than a bunch of Americans who would run it like a business. There would be more chance of a new ground and some success, albeit in the short-term. The danger being that he gets bored.

Disagree with you on this one, John, and it's not because I live in the US. Ultimately, football is a business, and the most successful teams in the long-term will be run at a profit. The American group know this, and the financial value of moving up the table. Moreover, they are unlikely to meddle with day-to-day decisions once they've put in place their own executives and marketing team. A Jordanian rich man, however, who buys the team almost as a play-thing, will meddle and meddle until he ruins the club.

Disagree with you on this one, John, and it's not because I live in the US. Ultimately, football is a business, and the most successful teams in the long-term will be run at a profit. The American group know this, and the financial value of moving up the table. Moreover, they are unlikely to meddle with day-to-day decisions once they've put in place their own executives and marketing team. A Jordanian rich man, however, who buys the team almost as a play-thing, will meddle and meddle until he ruins the club.

Hmmmm. Not sure. The Premiership teams that have been bought as a 'play thing' by overly rich men are City and Chelsea.

The teams bought by more of a investment to make money are Liverpool (twice now...first time they almost went under), Man Utd (from a club with a healthy account to leveraged with £500 mill debt...relied purely on Fergie to keep the gravy train running), Aston Villa (say no more), Sunderland...these first 4 are US based. And have ultimately led to less success on the pitch than what can be expected of the club size.

Let me make clear that I have no issue with Americans 'normal everyday people' but I do have a huge, proven distrust of the rich business people who are behind these investment vehicles.

Of course there are other examples where people with money have got involved with English football, for purely 'business' reasons, who have no clue about the game and it's culture (maybe that's more the problem?) and have taken clubs backwards...Mike Ashley at Newcastle is a prime example. Look further through the leagues for more examples...Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers.

There's so many teams that have been taken over with big promises by people with supposedly excellent business minds and big wallets but also big egos and a lack of knowledge in football. The club ends up worse off.

It's a tough one. And I am sorry to say but I really do not want a full on American take over. The track record in England is poor.

I suppose we'll find out just how real Kenwright was being when he said he'd only sell to the right people when/if a sale happens.

My worry is that due to his illness the landscape has changed somewhat, and lets face it after some of the abuse he has had who could blame him if he did just sell to the highest bidder?

My worry is that due to his illness the landscape has changed somewhat, and lets face it after some of the abuse he has had who could blame him if he did just sell to the highest bidder?

I agree, said something similar a couple of weeks ago.

If a sale is in our near future it'll be an interesting time, that's for sure.

if he says that he has been looking 24/7 for the right buyer for the last 10 years or more and sells us to a pair of greedy bastards who strip us does that make him right?

No, it will actually make the fans who criticised him right. I wish him good health, and I wish he sold us a good while back for Everton reasons - not health reasons.

if he says that he has been looking 24/7 for the right buyer for the last 10 years or more and sells us to a pair of greedy bastards who strip us does that make him right?

No, it will actually make the fans who criticised him right. I wish him good health, and I wish he sold us a good while back for Everton reasons - not health reasons.

no, it doesn't. It means he hasn't got the time left to find the perfect new owner and has to go with the people currently interested. Using this situation as a way of justifying the abuse the man has gone though (that bits not aimed at you) is ridiculous.

no, it doesn't. It means he hasn't got the time left to find the perfect new owner and has to go with the people currently interested. Using this situation as a way of justifying the abuse the man has gone though (that bits not aimed at you) is ridiculous.

I think if it turns out that these buyers are indeed greedy asset strippers then he will get criticism. He's always proclaimed that he will sell to the right people.

Personally I do not think he has been selling the club. He loves being chairman. Simple as that.

In an ideal world he sells us to the right people and lives a happy healthy retirement.

I think if it turns out that these buyers are indeed greedy asset strippers then he will get criticism. He's always proclaimed that he will sell to the right people.

Personally I do not think he has been selling the club. He loves being chairman. Simple as that.

In an ideal world he sells us to the right people and lives a happy healthy retirement.

to be fair, no one would know if they are or not until they're in control. A large part of it could be down to their trickery if they get in a strip the club (still don't know what off mind you), and not necessarily down to BK knowingly selling to the wrong person.

Either way, it's clear that any potential suitors would've continued to be more thoroughly vetted, it just looks like there's less time to do so now

Not at all , it just means that he has finally given in to the abusers and granted them their wish