IGNORED

Tottenham Hotspur (Home)

markjazzbassist

Really didn't need reminding of that :(.

We always have a low amount of penalties of every season. It's ridiculous. I remember a few seasons ago we didn't get one until the last game of the season!

Probably the year we should've been given the most. Andy Johnson got hacked every week. Remember the club sent a video half way through the season of about 14 incidents and the referee association admitted half should be given and the others were maybe.

How Stoke got one and we never is unbelievable. clattenberg cheated us again, but will go without punishment.

I'd rather see Besic than Gibbo (assuming TC and McCarthy aren't fit).

Hopefully Mirallas will be "rested" enough to start and Baines will come back in.

Wouldn't mind see Naismith for Barkley either, hopefully he'll give us a goodbye present to remember him by.

Oh and Robles for Howard.

We should win this match but unless we change our vulnerable aspects (which our common knowledge at this point), then we'll lose again. Howard, crosses, counter-attacks, set pieces in general, conceding possession in the midfield due to poor passing, and an overall abilty to give the opposition Xmas gifts near the end of matches. So yeah, good chance we'll come out with no points on this one. We're so very consistent in those areas.

Guest rusty747

If we don't win then we will never catch Spurs and that will mean top four is impossible and top six very unlikely. Best chance we have of Europe is via a Cup win with Robles in goal.

I get Howard is playing poorly at the moment but Robles is a very average goalie. He's an OK shot stopper but punches at everything. I can't help but find it amusing that he's become such a topic every match.

My theory: Howard is a great scapegoat and Robles is the perfect messiah, whose powers will never truly be disproven because Howard will never get taken out of the team when it really matters.

It's safe.

Guest rusty747

I would far rather we had Butland in goal but we can only choose from those players contracted to the club. At the moment, based on form, the best 'keeper is Robles.

He certainly isn't the Messiah and may turn out to be a 'very naughty boy' (Python fans will understand) but it is time for him to be given the chance to make the number one position his own imho.

Edited by rusty747

I get Howard is playing poorly at the moment but Robles is a very average goalie. He's an OK shot stopper but punches at everything. I can't help but find it amusing that he's become such a topic every match.

The bottom line is neither keeper should be a guaranteed starter for a team like Everton. If Howard's contract is up this summer, as I believe it is, we should be looking for a keeper of clear No. 1 quality to bring in. Ignoring that though I think there are certainly more positives to be found in starting Robles over Howard.

For starters, Robles should still have his best keeping years ahead of him, where as Howard is obviously past it.

Secondly, when given a run of games last season we all saw a level of consistency and assuredness develop in his game, while the only thing consistently seen in Howard's performances over the last 18 months is a tendency towards shambolic keeping. I'd much rather have Robles' consistent 6/10 level of keeping over Howard's 3-4/10 with the odd 7/10 performance poping up.

Hopefully by next season though we'll have gotten the check book out and will have a 8/10 quality keeper to call our own :)

I would far rather we had Butland in goal but we can only choose from those players contracted to the club. At the moment, based on form, the best 'keeper is Robles.

He certainly isn't the Messiah and may turn out to be a 'very naughty boy' (Python fans will understand) but it is time for him to be given the chance to make the number one position his own imho.

I'd take a look at Valencia's second goalkeeper - Matthew Ryan

Howard is contracted until June 2018

The bottom line is neither keeper should be a guaranteed starter for a team like Everton. If Howard's contract is up this summer, as I believe it is, we should be looking for a keeper of clear No. 1 quality to bring in. Ignoring that though I think there are certainly more positives to be found in starting Robles over Howard.

For starters, Robles should still have his best keeping years ahead of him, where as Howard is obviously past it.

Secondly, when given a run of games last season we all saw a level of consistency and assuredness develop in his game, while the only thing consistently seen in Howard's performances over the last 18 months is a tendency towards shambolic keeping. I'd much rather have Robles' consistent 6/10 level of keeping over Howard's 3-4/10 with the odd 7/10 performance poping up.

Hopefully by next season though we'll have gotten the check book out and will have a 8/10 quality keeper to call our own :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27074068

As an Aussie I've seen a bit of him. Good shot stopper, acrobatic and good with his feet. Bit short for a keeper however.

Does he leave his goal line? Does he come for crosses? Can he catch the ball? When he dives does he dive in the direction the ball is heading rather than away from it?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions then I don't care if he's a bit short.

Does he leave his goal line? Does he come for crosses? Can he catch the ball? When he dives does he dive in the direction the ball is heading rather than away from it?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions then I don't care if he's a bit short.

He's 4'6".

How could you make that judgment call with the low number of matches he has played?

How depressing. He was handed a 5 year deal when he re-signed last time. Madness.

Depressing doesn't cover it. Only chance to get new blood in there (be it Robles or otherwise) is if we get a new manager who doesn't see the "phenomenal leadership qualities" in Howard in the same light that RM does.

BTW, for the folks that see this is a witchhunt against Howard - when he shows some consistent quality then I (and I'm sure many others) would be glad to eat crow. Until then, he can piss off.

How could you make that judgment call with the low number of matches he has played?

Err I don't know....Maybe the same way people make the opinion that he is better than Howard? From the exact same amount of matches?

I agree with him. Robles is not the answer....Though I still think it's worth giving him a few games. He made a few good saves in the quarters....had a few moments where he got lucky to though.

Remember him running out for a ball and then trying to run back when he realised he couldn't make it....Howard made the exact same mistake against a more alert forward.....fine lines ;-)