IGNORED

Tottenham Hotspur (Home)

markjazzbassist

Martinez' interviews this week hint that he will stick with Howard for his experience and 'leadership' qualities, but you'd expect Joel to start in the following two (cup) games. Given Howard's recent form, the worsening relationship between him and the fans, and the amount of press attention on him at the moment, if Joel puts in two good performances in the cup games I hope that would be the ideal opportunity for RM to let him keep his place for the following league games. If he's ever going to do it, surely that would be the time?

Of course, Tim could put in a worldie performance against Spurs... (I hope he does!)

Does he leave his goal line? Does he come for crosses? Can he catch the ball? When he dives does he dive in the direction the ball is heading rather than away from it?

He is a good solid keeper. No major mistakes come to mind when thinking of his performances but I only watch the national team. Depends on the Fee, he is the right age though. ( So is Robles though)

If the answer is yes to any of those questions then I don't care if he's a bit short.

I agree with him. Robles is not the answer....Though I still think it's worth giving him a few games. He made a few good saves in the quarters....had a few moments where he got lucky to though.

Remember him running out for a ball and then trying to run back when he realised he couldn't make it....Howard made the exact same mistake against a more alert forward.....fine lines ;-)

And Howard is a far more experienced keeper, while Robles is a keeper still learning, so you'd expect a silly error from Robles, whereas you'd expect a keeper who has played hundreds of games to be a bit better wouldn't you?

I've said it before but we really should be playing Robles until the end of the season. Let's find out if he's cut out to be our number one or if we need to make signing a number one a priority in the summer. Even if Howard wasn't making mistake after mistake we should still be looking to test out Robles more because the fact of the matter is that Howard is coming to the end of his career.

And Howard is a far more experienced keeper, while Robles is a keeper still learning, so you'd expect a silly error from Robles, whereas you'd expect a keeper who has played hundreds of games to be a bit better wouldn't you?

I've said it before but we really should be playing Robles until the end of the season. Let's find out if he's cut out to be our number one or if we need to make signing a number one a priority in the summer. Even if Howard wasn't making mistake after mistake we should still be looking to test out Robles more because the fact of the matter is that Howard is coming to the end of his career.

Exactly this. I just think Robles sheer size and ability to command his 6 yard area will cut out more goals long term. Stats will most likely prove me wrong, but i don't feel We let teams test our keeper a lot, it's just stupid mistakes and balls into the area that we concede from.

This was one quote about Robles from this time last year.

He's fucking shite. His distribution isquite good but he couldn't save a cat from drowning in a paddling pool.

We need a new keeper. He also thinks he is a lot better than he is.

City nevergotanything on target yesterday if they had it would have rained goals.

Edited by barryj

This was one quote about Robles from this time last year.

I think it's fair to say after the run of games he had done enough to retain his spot.

Wigan v City in the final he was amazing.

West ham in the cup for us.

He's warranted a chance, I don't think he would or could cost us as many goals as Howard in the next half of the campaign, it's whether or not he can install the confidence that he has the quality to be our number 1 for the years to come.

I'm going to leave it there. I don't think Robles is the answer but I hope I'm proved wrong. In my opinion I think Howard has been made a scapegoat for the bad run of results where I think he's been one of a number of players (the whole defensive unit) who have been well below par. These individuals have all made mistakes that have cost us goals (Stones, Barry, Mori, Howard, Galloway). Without these comments would be very different. Don't forget Howard has also made some great saves in some of those games......just saying

I'm going to leave it there. I don't think Robles is the answer but I hope I'm proved wrong. In my opinion I think Howard has been made a scapegoat for the bad run of results where I think he's been one of a number of players (the whole defensive unit) who have been well below par. These individuals have all made mistakes that have cost us goals (Stones, Barry, Mori, Howard, Galloway). Without these comments would be very different. Don't forget Howard has also made some great saves in some of those games......just saying

Exactly this. I don't know who said it, but someone expressed their belief that the back line only ships goals because they don't have confidence in Howard. Yes, we suck at defending because we have an uninspiring keeper. Coleman and Baines/Galloway don't stop crosses from coming in because they don't trust Howard. Stones and Funes Mori don't deal with crosses because they're concerned that Howard isn't at his best.

Key Opta stats:

- Everton have won none of their last six Barclays Premier League meetings with Tottenham (D3 L3).
- Spurs have kept a clean sheet in four of their last five Premier League meetings with Everton.
- Romelu Lukaku has scored 11 goals in his last 10 appearances for Everton (all competitions).
- Lukaku has scored in each of his last five Premier League games at Goodison Park (seven goals in total).
- Ross Barkley has scored (6) or assisted (7) 13 Premier League goals in 2015-16, more than his previous four Premier League campaigns combined (10).
- Harry Kane scored 27 Premier League goals in 2015, more than any other player in the competition.
- Tottenham will be looking to win four successive Premier League games for the first time since January 2014.

Was reading through Spurs forum last night.... The consensus was that as long as Mirallas isn't playing they should be ok. (Always does well against them). Next comments were about him not playing and again the general consensus was that "we should be all over that"